CP4 extends wifi AP even if disabled?

ap@CaptivePhotons.com

Last time at a dark site no one was around, so there were no AP's, cell tethers, etc.  Often there are MANY with all the apple-this, and asiair-that. So I was surprised to see the CP4 had opened an access point to which I could connect (well, sort of).

I have mine hardwired with ethernet, so did not worry, but recalled it and decided to try at home, and sure enough, I'm getting an AP SSID broadcast.  So i logged into the CP4 with a browser and as intended it says "WiFi Disabeld".   But ... it's not.

I use a real access point on the tripod, and would prefer to minimize interference as well as battery power.  Is there a way to say "Really, yes, really, I want you to disable it"?

And frankly now that I think about it, if it's an open connection with no security, I guess people might do bad things if there were bad actors at a dark site sometime.  Or really bored emotionally immature friends.  So maybe this is more of an issue than just interference.

Linwood

PS. Oddly if I look in the other option it says the SSID will be GTOCP4-NET-xxxx, but it's broadcasting GTOCP4446952, not sure what that means.  Also, while I can associate and pull an IP (it's an open connection, no security, 172.31.0.1), it won't respond to a browser.  The browser shown below is via the ethernet port.

PPS. Running VCP4-P02-11.

Mike Hanson

Hi Linwood,

We are looking into this.  There are no open "sockets", so the mount is not controllable via WiFi in this state. However, you are correct, no access point should be advertised if the Wi-Fi is "off".  This would be problematic for those using equipment near radio telescopes.  This issue likely follows the newest WiFi radio hardware - it was recently changed due to obsolescence of the prior hardware.

In the mean-time, you can enable the WiFi, but disconnect from all networks, then no Access Point will be advertised.

Regards,
Mike Hanson

ap@CaptivePhotons.com

On Mon, May 9, 2022 at 10:59 AM, Mike Hanson wrote:
In the mean-time, you can enable the WiFi, but disconnect from all networks, then no Access Point will be advertised.
Ahh... one of those "obvious only when someone points it out" things... essentially a listen-only mode as an unpaired station.

Yes, tried it, no more SSID, and no apparent hidden one either, so I assume the transmitter is off.   Thank you.

I make use of a lot of ESP8266 devices with ESPHome (a platform inside of Home Assistant automation).  These have a last-chance mode, otherwise known as "you screwed up your program and lost the ability to connect to the wifi which loses the ability to fix your program but will give you want last way to connect" fallback AP mode.  That sounds a lot like this, as though it's bringing up a fallback AP mode.  Now that I think about it (since I always want wifi on for those, as they have no wired connector) I am not sure how I would completely turn them off.

Anyway, thanks again for looking.

Linwood