Counterweight Shaft Case

with all these great ideas and enthusiasm for transporting the counterweight shaft, now i kind of feel like a sucker for just leaving mine on a pier and not moving it! :)

Joe Zeglinski

Brian,

Everyone should also check that they have THAT special AP-provided  TEFLON washer/disk, on the threaded end of the shaft. Otherwise, you may find the steel seized  into the mount axis, very difficult to remove, especially in the cold. Don’t lose it.
The Teflon really helps, and now I wouldn’t attach the shaft without it.

Joe Z.

Sent: Tuesday, February 9, 2021 10:38 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Counterweight Shaft Case

with all these great ideas and enthusiasm for transporting the counterweight shaft, now i kind of feel like a sucker for just leaving mine on a pier and not moving it! :)

Barry Megdal

I was referring to the idea of putting the shaft end cap onto the mount for storage.

dvjbaja

People use counterweights? 

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy Note9, an AT&T 5G Evolution capable smartphone

-------- Original message --------
Date: 2/9/21 7:38 PM (GMT-08:00)

Woody Schlom

Brian,

Oh yeah, you’re missing out on all the “fun” of portable observing – which includes sore muscles, barked knees and elbows, dust, insect bites, wild animals, dust, cold – and did I mention dust?

Woody

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Valente
Sent: Tuesday, February 9, 2021 7:38 PM

mdine1us

And, don’t forget 2.5 hour drives to a dark site!🥺

//Marty is mobile
Ad Astra

On Feb 9, 2021, at 20:59, Woody Schlom <woody_is@...> wrote:

Brian,

Oh yeah, you’re missing out on all the “fun” of portable observing – which includes sore muscles, barked knees and elbows, dust, insect bites, wild animals, dust, cold – and did I mention dust?

Woody

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Valente
Sent: Tuesday, February 9, 2021 7:38 PM

Steve C. Mitchell, Sr., O.D.

What the hell are you doing bringing common sense to the party!
The perfect, simple, cost effective solution to the problem! Brilliant!
Steve 8>)

-----Original Message-----
From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jeffc
Sent: Tuesday, February 9, 2021 8:21 PM

Here’s my awesome counterweight shaft transport case. This is for an AP1200 CW shaft, but I also have a very similar one for the shorter AP1100 shaft.
The case you see here is specially designed to prevent rolling around in the vehicle, and has been reinforced in the appropriate areas of the structure.
This has served me very very well since 2005 and has been to many star parties, public programs , and countless imaging sessions.
I give it 4 stars rating… knocking off a star as the cover needs minor work with some gaffers tape.