Counterweight Shaft Case

Barry Megdal

I posted this long ago when I was using a 1200 as a “portable” mount.  Since then I have a 1600 mount in an observatory.

But I recently received the very impressive Mach 2 which I intend to transport on occasion.

So what type of case to use for the mount and its accessories has come up again.  Below is a picture of the case I made for the 1200 counterweight shaft (and will shorten for the Mach 2 shaft).

It is made from readily available 2” Schedule 80 PVC pipe parts glued together.  The counterweight shaft is an almost airtight fit inside that size pipe, and the screw-on cap is very convenient.

Put a small piece of foam in the bottom and it is ready to go.

-        Barry

Dr. Barry Megdal

President

Shb Instruments, Inc.

19215 Parthenia St.  Suite A

Northridge, CA 91324

www.shbinstruments.com

(818) 773-2000  (818)773-2005 fax

bmegdal@...

Faculty (retired)

Dept. of Electrical Engineering

Caltech

Woody Schlom

Barry,

I LIKE it!

Woody

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of Barry Megdal
Sent: Monday, February 8, 2021 9:44 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: [ap-gto] Counterweight Shaft Case

I posted this long ago when I was using a 1200 as a “portable” mount.  Since then I have a 1600 mount in an observatory.

But I recently received the very impressive Mach 2 which I intend to transport on occasion.

So what type of case to use for the mount and its accessories has come up again.  Below is a picture of the case I made for the 1200 counterweight shaft (and will shorten for the Mach 2 shaft).

It is made from readily available 2” Schedule 80 PVC pipe parts glued together.  The counterweight shaft is an almost airtight fit inside that size pipe, and the screw-on cap is very convenient.

Put a small piece of foam in the bottom and it is ready to go.

• Barry

Dr. Barry Megdal

President

Shb Instruments, Inc.

Northridge, CA 91324

www.shbinstruments.com

bmegdal@...

Faculty (retired)

Caltech

weihaowang

Nice! 

Is this to protect the counterweight shaft during transportation?  Or to protect whatever other things that sit next to the counterweight shaft?

--

Homepage:

http://www.asiaa.sinica.edu.tw/~whwang/

Astrobin gallery:
http://www.astrobin.com/users/whwang/

Astrobob

Clever common sense!

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Barry Megdal

The purpose is both – to protect the beautiful look of the counterweight shaft during transportation, as well as keeping it from damaging the vehicle or other equipment.

Barry

Nice! 

Is this to protect the counterweight shaft during transportation?
 Or to protect whatever other things that sit next to the counterweight shaft?

Dr. Barry Megdal

President

Shb Instruments, Inc.

Northridge, CA 91324

www.shbinstruments.com

bmegdal@...

Faculty (retired)

Caltech

Stone, Jack G

Regardless – this is a projectile under transport.  Usually kept in a case of some sort – like one of those handy storage boxes.

But I like the idea of reducing the exposure to humidity and other corrosives this is nice. 

But Wondering – where would you keep the end cap?

Jack ~

Sent: Tuesday, February 09, 2021 10:02 AM
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Counterweight Shaft Case

The purpose is both – to protect the beautiful look of the counterweight shaft during transportation, as well as keeping it from damaging the vehicle or other equipment.

Barry

Nice! 

Is this to protect the counterweight shaft during transportation?
 Or to protect whatever other things that sit next to the counterweight shaft?

Dr. Barry Megdal

President

Shb Instruments, Inc.

Northridge, CA 91324

www.shbinstruments.com

bmegdal@...

Faculty (retired)

Caltech

Barry Megdal

I keep the end cap with other small accessories in a small box.

- Barry

Joe Zeglinski

Hi Barry,

Guess I missed it – I assumed you had cemented-on a “threaded ABS fitting”,  which would conveniently accommodate a threaded end-cap, so no need of the cap being stored in a case,  or falling off the pipe in the trunk, possibly lost on the ground at night.
Wouldn’t want to risk toe-injury if you held it upright, the wrong end  up, and the cap is slammed off downward by the heavy bar :-)

Joe Z.

Sent: Tuesday, February 9, 2021 3:18 PM

- Barry

Don Anderson

Hi guys. Since we are talking about counter wt shaft totes, Here is my version of what Barry is talking about

Don Anderson

On Tuesday, February 9, 2021, 02:06:46 p.m. MST, Joe Zeglinski <j.zeglinski@...> wrote:

Hi Barry,

Guess I missed it – I assumed you had cemented-on a “threaded ABS fitting”,  which would conveniently accommodate a threaded end-cap, so no need of the cap being stored in a case,  or falling off the pipe in the trunk, possibly lost on the ground at night.
Wouldn’t want to risk toe-injury if you held it upright, the wrong end  up, and the cap is slammed off downward by the heavy bar :-)

Joe Z.

- Barry

Stone, Jack G

Joe Z. – here is an image of what I referred to:

This has to be removed to fit into the schedule 80 2” tube.

This is the counter weight end plate.

Regards,

Jack ~

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of Joe Zeglinski
Sent: Tuesday, February 09, 2021 1:03 PM

Hi Barry,

Joe Z.

- Barry

Stone, Jack G

One more tidbit – Joe

3M has the glow in the dark tape – so if you inadvertently drop it, it could be quite noticeable.

Jack ~

BTW: Looking for SCHED80 in lengths less than 10’. I have nothing left over from projects.

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of Stone, Jack G
Sent: Tuesday, February 09, 2021 1:59 PM

Joe Z. – here is an image of what I referred to:

This has to be removed to fit into the schedule 80 2” tube.

This is the counter weight end plate.

Regards,

Jack ~

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of Joe Zeglinski
Sent: Tuesday, February 09, 2021 1:03 PM

Hi Barry,

Joe Z.

- Barry

Harry Horlings

Hi Jack,

No one mentioned it here, but I screw the counterweight end cap into the end of the RA axis where the counterweight shaft screws into. :)

Harry

Stone, Jack G

Aha moment!!! Would have never thought of that – never leave home without it 😊

Yeap nicely done Harry.

Jack ~

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of Harry Horlings via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, February 09, 2021 2:47 PM

Hi Jack,

No one mentioned it here, but I screw the counterweight end cap into the end of the RA axis where the counterweight shaft screws into. :)

Harry

Barry Megdal

I believe the question was about the safety stop that screws into the end of the shaft, and that is small and I keep it with other accessories.  The case does have a screw-on PVC pipe cap that seals the shaft inside.

-        Barry

Dr. Barry Megdal

President

Shb Instruments, Inc.

Northridge, CA 91324

www.shbinstruments.com

bmegdal@...

Faculty (retired)

Caltech

Stone, Jack G

Barry – Yes and the recommendation was to screw it into the RA assembly.

Which I did so one last item to worry about.

So I think everyone is in sync now.  And I never thought about that.  And the fear was I’m 200miles from home and leaving those small items behind – been there and done that.

Jack ~

Sent: Tuesday, February 09, 2021 5:41 PM

I believe the question was about the safety stop that screws into the end of the shaft, and that is small and I keep it with other accessories.  The case does have a screw-on PVC pipe cap that seals the shaft inside.

• Barry

Dr. Barry Megdal

President

Shb Instruments, Inc.

Northridge, CA 91324

www.shbinstruments.com

bmegdal@...

Faculty (retired)

Caltech

Jeffc

Here’s my awesome counterweight shaft transport case. This is for an AP1200 CW shaft, but I also have a very similar one for the shorter AP1100 shaft.
The case you see here is specially designed to prevent rolling around in the vehicle, and has been reinforced in the appropriate areas of the structure.
This has served me very very well since 2005 and has been to many star parties, public programs , and countless imaging sessions.
I give it 4 stars rating… knocking off a star as the cover needs minor work with some gaffers tape.

Karen Christen

😆

-----Original Message-----
From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jeffc
Sent: Tuesday, February 9, 2021 8:21 PM

Here’s my awesome counterweight shaft transport case.  This is for an AP1200 CW shaft, but I also have a very similar one for the shorter AP1100 shaft.

The case you see here is specially designed to prevent rolling around in the vehicle, and has been reinforced in the appropriate areas of the structure.  

This has served me very very well since 2005 and has been to many star parties, public programs , and countless imaging sessions.  

I give it 4 stars rating… knocking off a star as the cover needs minor work with some gaffers tape.

--
Karen Christen
Astro-Physics

Karen Christen

😆

-----Original Message-----
From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jeffc
Sent: Tuesday, February 9, 2021 8:21 PM

Here’s my awesome counterweight shaft transport case.  This is for an AP1200 CW shaft, but I also have a very similar one for the shorter AP1100 shaft.

--
Karen Christen
Astro-Physics

Worsel

Jeff

Your design looks like it also has a 'homing device'...so, if you leave the shaft and case at a site, it can be returned to you!  Brilliant!

Bryan

Barry Megdal

Great Idea!