Counterweight Shaft Case

Barry Megdal

I posted this long ago when I was using a 1200 as a “portable” mount.  Since then I have a 1600 mount in an observatory.

But I recently received the very impressive Mach 2 which I intend to transport on occasion.

So what type of case to use for the mount and its accessories has come up again.  Below is a picture of the case I made for the 1200 counterweight shaft (and will shorten for the Mach 2 shaft).

It is made from readily available 2” Schedule 80 PVC pipe parts glued together.  The counterweight shaft is an almost airtight fit inside that size pipe, and the screw-on cap is very convenient.

Put a small piece of foam in the bottom and it is ready to go.

-        Barry

Dr. Barry Megdal

President

Shb Instruments, Inc.

19215 Parthenia St.  Suite A

Northridge, CA 91324

www.shbinstruments.com

(818) 773-2000  (818)773-2005 fax

bmegdal@...

Faculty (retired)

Dept. of Electrical Engineering

Caltech

Woody Schlom

Barry,

I LIKE it!

Woody

[...]

weihaowang

Nice!

Is this to protect the counterweight shaft during transportation?  Or to protect whatever other things that sit next to the counterweight shaft?

--

Homepage:

http://www.asiaa.sinica.edu.tw/~whwang/

Astrobin gallery:
http://www.astrobin.com/users/whwang/

Astrobob

Clever common sense!

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Barry Megdal

The purpose is both – to protect the beautiful look of the counterweight shaft during transportation, as well as keeping it from damaging the vehicle or other equipment.

Barry

Nice!

Is this to protect the counterweight shaft during transportation?
 Or to protect whatever other things that sit next to the counterweight shaft?

Dr. Barry Megdal

President

Shb Instruments, Inc.

19215 Parthenia St.  Suite A

Northridge, CA 91324

www.shbinstruments.com

(818) 773-2000  (818)773-2005 fax

bmegdal@...

Faculty (retired)

Dept. of Electrical Engineering

Caltech

Stone, Jack G

Regardless – this is a projectile under transport.  Usually kept in a case of some sort – like one of those handy storage boxes.

But I like the idea of reducing the exposure to humidity and other corrosives this is nice.

But Wondering – where would you keep the end cap?

Jack ~

The purpose is both – to protect the beautiful look of the counterweight shaft during transportation, as well as keeping it from damaging the vehicle or other equipment.

Barry

Nice!

Is this to protect the counterweight shaft during transportation?
 Or to protect whatever other things that sit next to the counterweight shaft?

Dr. Barry Megdal

President

Shb Instruments, Inc.

19215 Parthenia St.  Suite A

Northridge, CA 91324

www.shbinstruments.com

(818) 773-2000  (818)773-2005 fax

bmegdal@...

Faculty (retired)

Dept. of Electrical Engineering

Caltech

Barry Megdal

I keep the end cap with other small accessories in a small box.

- Barry

Joe Zeglinski

Hi Barry,

    Guess I missed it – I assumed you had cemented-on a “threaded ABS fitting”,  which would conveniently accommodate a threaded end-cap, so no need of the cap being stored in a case,  or falling off the pipe in the trunk, possibly lost on the ground at night.
Wouldn’t want to risk toe-injury if you held it upright, the wrong end  up, and the cap is slammed off downward by the heavy bar :-)

Joe Z.

I keep the end cap with other small accessories in a small box.

- Barry

Don Anderson

Hi guys. Since we are talking about counter wt shaft totes, Here is my version of what Barry is talking about

Don Anderson