Connection issues. . .. again #ASCOM_V2_Driver

David Woolf

My 1100GTO mount is back to its old tricks.  It has been connecting fine for weeks, and all I did was change out the battery in the laptop, and last night all I got was “No response from mount”  Restarted APCC, laptop, mount, traded out USB ports, cables, even connected to the mount WIFI.  

I'm no computer whiz.  Is there a troubleshooting “flow” for this error?  

My mount is in an off-the-grid observatory.  Could I take home the GTOCP4 and test connections that way, or does it need to be connected to motors and such?

Roland Christen

My 1100GTO mount is back to its old tricks.
Believe me, it's not the mount that's not connecting. It's strictly a computer issue. You have to go into Device Manager and find out which com port is available to the mount and then set the ASCOM driver to that com port.

I know, it always seems like the mount won't connect, but unfortunately it's the computer in every case.

Rolando

-----Original Message-----
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Thu, Sep 30, 2021 6:35 pm
Subject: [ap-gto] Connection issues. . .. again #ASCOM_V2_Driver

My 1100GTO mount is back to its old tricks.  It has been connecting fine for weeks, and all I did was change out the battery in the laptop, and last night all I got was “No response from mount”  Restarted APCC, laptop, mount, traded out USB ports, cables, even connected to the mount WIFI.  

My mount is in an off-the-grid observatory.  Could I take home the GTOCP4 and test connections that way, or does it need to be connected to motors and such?

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Thomas Giannaccini

Is it not easier to use an Ethernet cable and the IP address?

On Thu, Sep 30, 2021 at 8:41 PM Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

My 1100GTO mount is back to its old tricks.
Believe me, it's not the mount that's not connecting. It's strictly a computer issue. You have to go into Device Manager and find out which com port is available to the mount and then set the ASCOM driver to that com port.

I know, it always seems like the mount won't connect, but unfortunately it's the computer in every case.

Rolando

-----Original Message-----
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Thu, Sep 30, 2021 6:35 pm
Subject: [ap-gto] Connection issues. . .. again #ASCOM_V2_Driver

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

--
CN: HasAnyoneSeenMyNeblua

ap@CaptivePhotons.com

Thomas Giannaccini wrote:

• Is it not easier to use an Ethernet cable and the IP address?

Yeah, I did that first, never tired USB at all.  Worked first time and every time since, none of this COM-ports-musical-chairs windows is prone to.  😊

Thank you AP/Ray for providing IP!

Well, and Wifi, but as someone who has done wifi in huge facilities, if I need reliable I run a wire!

Peter Nagy

I agree with Thomas about using Ethernet cable and IP address. Always connects 200% of the time.

Peter

Worsel

Not to overwork it, but I also support Ethernet approach.

Once the mount is connected to a router,  you should be able to see the address assigned to the mount by either

1. Logging into your router
2. Using the Enet-WiFi-Polling utility that A-P provides
    CP4  https://www.astro-physics.info/index.htm?tech_support/mounts/cp4-update/cp4-update
    CP5  https://www.astro-physics.info/index.htm?tech_support/mounts/cp5-update/cp5-update

Bryan

Christopher Erickson

When troubleshooting USB connections...

1. Try a new, quality USB cable.
2. Try a different USB port.
3. See what Device Manager is saying.
4. This time, really do try a quality USB cable, and not just pretend to do so.
5. Try a different USB cable and a diff PC.
6. Come to this forum with your hat in hand.

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory engineer
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

On Fri, Oct 1, 2021, 8:41 PM Worsel via groups.io <bryancashion=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Not to overwork it, but I also support Ethernet approach.

Once the mount is connected to a router,  you should be able to see the address assigned to the mount by either

1. Logging into your router
2. Using the Enet-WiFi-Polling utility that A-P provides
    CP4  https://www.astro-physics.info/index.htm?tech_support/mounts/cp4-update/cp4-update
    CP5  https://www.astro-physics.info/index.htm?tech_support/mounts/cp5-update/cp5-update

Bryan