Computer not recognizing CP5 control box #APCC

AaronW

Brand new A-P customer here.  I'm sure I'm doing something stupid.  Any help is much appreciated.

Am installing / setting up the AP V2 driver / APCC Pro for the first time.  Also plugging in my Mach2 and CP5 for the first time.  Goal was to set CP5 to station mode and use it via my home's WiFi network.  The manual gives clear instructions for how to do this, which are basically:

1) Go to CP5's homepage by first configuring for "Access Point Configuration"
2) Change the setting to use Station Mode in the advanced wireless settings there.

So I did this.  I turned on the mount/CP5.  CP5's network appeared in my wireless networks after a few seconds.  I connected my computer to this network using the default password provided by A-P.  It worked.

I then navigated to CP5's homepage and attempted to change the setting to use the CP5 in station mode.  I selected my home network and entered the password.  I then clicked CONNECT.  It then said CONNECTING...

All seemed well, but five minutes later it was still CONNECTING...

So I closed the window, unplugged the mount/CP5, rebooted, and tried again.  But now my computer does not find the CP5's network, and as a result, I am not able to navigate to CP5's homepage or proceed further in setting up APCC Pro.  Instead, the computer recognizes a "hidden network" among my wireless networks.  I attempted to connect to this network and it asked me for the network's name (SSID) and password.  I provided the name of GTOCP5_Net_X, where X represents the numeric portion of my CP5's serial number without the leading zeros.  I entered the password as well.  I got a message saying "Cannot connect to this network."

I've tried rebooting everything and doing it again.  Same problem.  I have A-P's AC adapter and anderson powerpoles going from my wall outlet into the mount anderson powerpoles on the RA rear plate, the CP5's power cable going from the CP5 to the mount anderson powerpoles in the DEC top plate, the RA/DEC cables going from the CP5 to the Mach2, and a USB cord going from the CP5 to my computer.

The CP5's power indicator light is red, indicating proper power functioning.

Any ideas?

Best,
Aaron

Luca Marinelli

Hi Aaron,

I just connect to the mount via USB so I cannot help you with the WiFi problem. However, you do not want to connect power to the CP5 through the powerpole ports on the mount. Connect the AC adapter to the CP5 power cable and directly into the CP5. The powerpole connectors on the mount are to bring 12V from a separate power supply to the telescope.

This will not solve your Wi-Fi problem but prevent snagging that power cable on the first slew.

—Luca

On Sep 23, 2021, at 7:28 PM, AaronW via groups.io <aaron.wilhelm@...> wrote:

[...]

Great tip, Luca.  Thanks!  I will take any tips I can get.  I am going to need them :)

On Sep 23, 2021, at 7:28 PM, AaronW via groups.io <aaron.wilhelm=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Mike Hanson

Hi Aaron,

When the CP5 joins a network, the Access Point will be turned off because the Wi-Fi hardware does not have enough resources to support full functionality on both the Access Point and Station interfaces simultaneously.  That's why the Access Point closed.  Generally, an Ethernet connection is used to configure Wi-Fi initially, so that the act of reconfiguring Wi-Fi doesn't cause disconnection on Wi-Fi.

Since the Access Point is gone, it may mean that your CP5 is connected to the network you told it to join.  Put you computer on the same network you told the CP5 to join, and use APCC's "auto-discovery" to find it.  Suggest selecting UDP/LAN as the connection type, then click on the Magnifying Glass icon next to it to "auto-discover" it.  If it is not found, please e-mail me privately.

Regards,
Mike Hanson