Computer max ambient temperature

Larry Owings

Off topic I know, but what is the maximum ambient temperature you allow your computer to run at?

Mike Dodd

On 7/10/2021 1:50 PM, Larry Owings wrote:
Off topic I know, but what is the maximum ambient temperature you allow
your computer to run at?
95F in the observatory, but not longer than 15-20 minutes. I.e., I don't hesitate to run it when I need to.

--- mike

Peter Bresler

I just lost Kingdel computer which was sitting out in 95 degree sun for a while....not sure if that is what caused it though. Its on the way to China.

ap@CaptivePhotons.com

Ambient temperature is relevant but ambient tolerance will vary widely depending on the computer design and airflow over it.  The better measure is to find out how to read its internal temperatures (it may have many), find out their design limits, subtract 10C or so, and then watch at what ambient you get there as ambient rises.  That will give you a much better feel for ambient limits.

A well designed computer with good cooling could easily tolerate 20-30C higher ambient than a mediocre design with lots of dust inside and poor airflow in general.

Lots of programs (example HWINFO64 on windows) will search out and report sensors inside the computer.  Google the particular chip and motherboard to find reasonable limits.  And it’s often not the CPU that is the critical factor, since those often slow down if they over heat, it’s sometimes I/O or memory related sensors, or (unlikely in Astro but) also GPU.

Laptops are often the worst performers, as they are designed to be razor thin and have lousy airflow.  Fanless units are nice and quiet but obviously not as resilient as ambient rises.

John Jennings

I have several telescopes with different mini pc's attached that stay outside in the weather under multiple layer covers 24x7x365. I pretty much leave the computers running 24x7 during the cold and wet winters, but during the summer I generally shut everything down during the day as ambient temps get over 100 degrees in Allen Texas. I use dedicated Intel NUC and Beelink mini PC's attached to each telescope. I've been doing this for 2 years now with no issues whatsoever. I do watch the humidity and keep the computers running and a 40 watt droplight under the covers to control the humidity during rainy or humid weather. I use the Pegasus Ultimate V2 to monitor the environment. I have an AP155, AP130 and Mewlon 300 on AP mounts outside. I've kept remote telescopes in the deserts for years and have become pretty amazed of how rugged good systems can be.

I use Core Temp to monitor the CPU core temps on the mini PCs. It is an awesome freeware program that can send alerts and even shut down the PC as defined by the user. I've had my cores reach 190 degrees without any issues. I don't normally run the computers that hot. The program generally shows that my intel processors have a max core temp limit of 221F degrees.  Core Temp is a really neat tool.

https://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

John

Joe Zeglinski

Hi John,

No need to “WASTE ... power and computer lifetime” keeping your computers and heater running, as well as having to  keep track of “humidity readings” yourself.

Have a look in this group’s   AP-GTO Files section, for my home-made DIY controller -

An - Un-Dewer - Keeping Dome and Scope Dry.pdf   Update... with The UN-DEWER Parts List and Construction Diagram

Even without an observatory shelter, I have it automated to heat the AP-1200 & RC-14 scope “trapped air pocket” to prevent dewing,  under my very light, (almost parachute weight)  nylon TARP,  constantly dry, at my RH% level,  dial-set humidity percentage – in all seasons and weather – operating entirely unattended. Even strong gusts of wind, flapping the tarp’s skirt, losing some air, doesn’t affect it for long. It quickly recovers.

Just choose a “suitable” heating device ...  such as  my 900 watt “LITTLE BUDDY”,  car & truck cab heater/blower, which can handle western Canada cold  for long haul truckers ... you even use a simple “incandescent”  lamp bank/bathroom fixture.
I just flip the controller’s power switch off, during any observing sessions.

Zerostart 2600900 Interior Car Warmer Compact Plug-in Electric Portable Heater, 3,000 BTU | 120 Volts | 900 Watts

Mine has now been been providing CYCLIC  heating to dispel “potential dew” back into the surrounding air,  24/7/365 since January, 2013 – under direct sun & in severe storms,  in summer heat and northern winters.
Only had to replace the “cab-heater” device, once, due to a dead fan, in all those 8 years.

Joe Z.

Sent: Monday, July 12, 2021 11:45 AM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Computer max ambient temperature

I have several telescopes with different mini pc's attached that stay outside in the weather under multiple layer covers 24x7x365. I pretty much leave the computers running 24x7 during the cold and wet winters, but during the summer I generally shut everything down during the day as ambient temps get over 100 degrees in Allen Texas. I use dedicated Intel NUC and Beelink mini PC's attached to each telescope. I've been doing this for 2 years now with no issues whatsoever.
 I do watch the humidity and keep the computers running and a 40 watt droplight under the covers to control the humidity during rainy or humid weather.

I use the Pegasus Ultimate V2 to monitor the environment. I have an AP155, AP130 and Mewlon 300 on AP mounts outside. I've kept remote telescopes in the deserts for years and have become pretty amazed of how rugged good systems can be.

I use Core Temp to monitor the CPU core temps on the mini PCs. It is an awesome freeware program that can send alerts and even shut down the PC as defined by the user. I've had my cores reach 190 degrees without any issues. I don't normally run the computers that hot. The program generally shows that my intel processors have a max core temp limit of 221F degrees.  Core Temp is a really neat tool.

John

Jeffc

I don’t have exact numbers on this but just a side note on cooling the computer during the hot day…  a simple house fan blowing air across the computer might help. 

I have a MacMini 2012 i5 w/ SSD attached to the eagle tripod pier.  No observatory ; I use a telegizmos tripod cover, and OTA cover. 
The main reason for the cover is to keep dirt off that part of the gear , and also dew.  

At night I open the telegizmos cover a bit for cooling.   During the day if the computer is on it will eventually shut down do to the fan/cooler not designed for such heat.  I think it might have shut down when it was hit by direct sunlight. 

Anyhow for doing solar imaging this was a bit of problem… so I just put a 12” house fan blowing on the MacMini. 
Problem solved. 

On Jul 12, 2021, at 1:29 PM, Joe Zeglinski <J.Zeglinski@...> wrote:

Hi John,

No need to “WASTE ... power and computer lifetime” keeping your computers and heater running, as well as having to  keep track of “humidity readings” yourself.

Have a look in this group’s   AP-GTO Files section, for my home-made DIY controller -

An - Un-Dewer - Keeping Dome and Scope Dry.pdf   Update... with The UN-DEWER Parts List and Construction Diagram

Even without an observatory shelter, I have it automated to heat the AP-1200 & RC-14 scope “trapped air pocket” to prevent dewing,  under my very light, (almost parachute weight)  nylon TARP,  constantly dry, at my RH% level,  dial-set humidity percentage – in all seasons and weather – operating entirely unattended. Even strong gusts of wind, flapping the tarp’s skirt, losing some air, doesn’t affect it for long. It quickly recovers.

Just choose a “suitable” heating device ...  such as  my 900 watt “LITTLE BUDDY”,  car & truck cab heater/blower, which can handle western Canada cold  for long haul truckers ... you even use a simple “incandescent”  lamp bank/bathroom fixture.
I just flip the controller’s power switch off, during any observing sessions.

Zerostart 2600900 Interior Car Warmer Compact Plug-in Electric Portable Heater, 3,000 BTU | 120 Volts | 900 Watts

Mine has now been been providing CYCLIC  heating to dispel “potential dew” back into the surrounding air,  24/7/365 since January, 2013 – under direct sun & in severe storms,  in summer heat and northern winters.
Only had to replace the “cab-heater” device, once, due to a dead fan, in all those 8 years.

Joe Z.

Sent: Monday, July 12, 2021 11:45 AM

I have several telescopes with different mini pc's attached that stay outside in the weather under multiple layer covers 24x7x365. I pretty much leave the computers running 24x7 during the cold and wet winters, but during the summer I generally shut everything down during the day as ambient temps get over 100 degrees in Allen Texas. I use dedicated Intel NUC and Beelink mini PC's attached to each telescope. I've been doing this for 2 years now with no issues whatsoever.
 I do watch the humidity and keep the computers running and a 40 watt droplight under the covers to control the humidity during rainy or humid weather.

I use the Pegasus Ultimate V2 to monitor the environment. I have an AP155, AP130 and Mewlon 300 on AP mounts outside. I've kept remote telescopes in the deserts for years and have become pretty amazed of how rugged good systems can be.

John

John Jennings

Joe,

Ohh Ohh Ohh....... got to check it out..

Joe Zeglinski

John,

Hope you do have a read through.

Forgot to mention that the heater doesn’t usually cycle itself on,  in the daytime, since the sun warms up the tarp’s air pocket enough by itself,  to keep any moisture absorbed in its environment – relative humidity %  based on tarp  inside temperature.

However, if it is pouring rain all day, getting really humid, it might cycle up, for 20 minutes or so. The BROAN Humidistat used in my “UNDewer”,  has something like a +/- 10% “Dead band” (design) , so it will heat upto reaching a slightly higher RH, and let the tarp cool down to below the set point, so it doesn’t keep cycling on & off too often,  between retriggers.

The scope optics, electronics,  and even my AP-1200’s “dew attracting” cold steel counterweights,  have been dry for almost a decade of operation –  exposed under the tarp,  right outdoors.

Hope it helps,
Joe Z.

Sent: Monday, July 12, 2021 4:05 PM

Joe,

Ohh Ohh Ohh....... got to check it out..

John Jennings

Edited

Joe,

Actually, with a 40 watt light bulb and the NUC or Beelink computer turned on, the scope air pocket rarely gets over 60% humidity even during a rainstorm. I have a lightweight solar cover and a Telegizmos cover on top that with a good pocket of airspace. Everything is kept nice and dry. I actually kept my C14 HyperStar/AP1200 out on the patio for 3 years like that and never had on case of water or high humidity. The key is multiple covers with air pockets. Also, if one cover gets a tear, there's still no leakage.

But the automated humidity control would be really nice. In Texas, the only thing that's an issue is hail. Not nice on expensive cameras or telescopes. The carbon fiber scope tube and camera hood on my modified C14 just laughs off hail. But thats not the case on the nice AP refractors or cameras. They require an additional hail cover. As you can see, I'm don't tear my scopes down often.

John

legendtrail@...

Temperatures at start up in the desert here during summer will usually be  over 100. I'm in the habit of using a laptop cooler
in a storage crate as a base for the pc. Without it, core temps can easily top 150F.   They're cheap and easy to replace.
Try to find one without LEDs if you can.