COM Errors w/APCC

Steve Reilly

I looked at APCC while running remotely at SRO this morning and saw 93 COM errors. While the system is imaging successfully these errors are concerning. I have had many errors over the past few months and have had the CAT5e cable replaced, power cycled the switch, replaced the switch, and the behavior continues. I’m used to having COM errors when it 1st starts and have delays in the startup script to try to minimize the errors but these are going on throughout the night and aren’t just startup issues. At this point I’m not sure what needs to be done. I use TCP LAN as the primary connection and COM3 as my backup. In the time since starting this message  and after clearing those errors I already have an additional 7 COM errors. APCC just switched from TCP to COM 3 while looking at the log file for this morning. The log files can be found here. This is an up to date CP4 on an AP3600GTO as well as ASCOM driver and APCC Pro being up to date.

Any suggestions would be very welcomed.

-Steve

Ray Gralak

Steve,

Looking at your logs, it is probably a network issue but that may be difficult to pin down. Since you replaced the switch and
cable(s), it could be the Ethernet port on the computer, the Ethernet driver, or a Windows operation causing a delay in responses.
It could also be the computer has issues, especially if it was left out in a potentially hazardous environment (e.g. cold weather,
and smoke from fires that approached SRO last year).

BTW, you said *the* CAT5e cable was replaced, but there should be at least two cables: computer to switch, and switch to mount. Were
both replaced?

-Ray

<https://www.dropbox.com/s/uvj2ky00emjhncr/ApccZip-David_Weiner-2021-04-12-041125.zip?dl=0> . This is an up
to date CP4 on an AP3600GTO as well as ASCOM driver and APCC Pro being up to date.

Any suggestions would be very welcomed.

-Steve

Steve Reilly

Thanks Ray,

Biggest problem with remote imaging is not "seeing/touching" the systems. As
far as I know the cable to the mount (CP4) from the switch was replaced, the
switch itself (or at least requested) but nothing was said about the cable
from their switch to their network switch. I haven't seen any sign of the
computer cycling on/off as would be possible if the heat sync/fan was dirty
(over heated).

Guess I'll need to ask the SRO crew a few more questions.....

[...]

41125.zip?dl=0> . This is an up to date CP4 on an AP3600GTO as well as ASCOM
driver and APCC Pro being up to date.

Any suggestions would be very welcomed.

-Steve

Ray Gralak

Steve,

Guess I'll need to ask the SRO crew a few more questions.....
You might ask SRO if there was any residual soot or smoke particles on any of the computers from the fires. If so, the computer may
need to be replaced. If you do a web search on "computer smoke damage" you can see there may be cause for concern.

[...]

Thanks Ray, I'll follow up.

-Steve

[...]
4-12-0 41125.zip?dl=0> . This is an up to date CP4 on an AP3600GTO as