Closing Ascom V2 driver

Geoff Smith

If I wanr to close the driver the only way I can do it is by clicking the "OK" button. The normal cross at the top right hand side has never worked for me. Is this a feature, or am I missing something?

Mike Dodd

On 9/23/2021 3:12 AM, Geoff Smith wrote:
If I wanr to close the driver the only way I can do it is by clicking
the "OK" button. The normal cross at the top right hand side has never
worked for me. Is this a feature, or am I missing something?
For me, the driver closes automatically when all clients are disconnected from the mount. Occasionally some kind of glitch might leave it running after all connections are closed, and the only way I've found to close it then is with Task Manager. Right-click on the task bar -> Task Manager.

Why do you want to close the driver?

--- Mike

ap@CaptivePhotons.com

Mike Dodd wrote:

>On 9/23/2021 3:12 AM, Geoff Smith wrote:

> > If I wanr to close the driver the only way I can do it is by clicking

> > the "OK" button. The normal cross at the top right hand side has never

> > worked for me. Is this a feature, or am I missing something?

> For me, the driver closes automatically when all clients are disconnected from the mount. Occasionally some kind of glitch might leave it running after all connections are closed, and the only way I've found to close it then is with Task Manager. Right-click on the task bar

> -> Task Manager.

> Why do you want to close the driver?

That’s how it should work, though periodically I also get stuck with it open and no apparent clients connected.  APCC can’t be closed with the driver open either; end task works (takes a bit).  APCC tells which are connected to it – but all it shows is Ascom, and Ascom doesn’t (as best I can tell) show what is connected to it?

But this brings up something related that puzzles me… what is the connect to ASCOM in APCC for?   It is like it is its own client, which is a bit circular as the Ascom driver then connects to APCC.   I get the configure button, but when and why does one connect from APCC to Ascom (as opposed to the reverse)?

Linwood

Ray Gralak

> If I wanr to close the driver the only way I can do it is by clicking the "OK" button. The normal cross at the top

> right hand side has never worked for me. Is this a feature, or am I missing something?

The driver is not meant to be closed manually. It will close automatically when all ASCOM clients disconnect.

That said, you can force the driver to close by double-clicking the Clients label. Any connected client will likely show an error if you do this.

See this screenshot:

-Ray

On 9/23/2021 9:38 AM, ap@CaptivePhotons.com wrote:
That’s how it should work, though periodically I also get stuck with it
open and no apparent clients connected. APCC can’t be closed with the
driver open either; end task works (takes a bit). APCC tells which are
connected to it – but all it shows is Ascom, and Ascom doesn’t (as best
I can tell) show what is connected to it?
The ASCOM window shows the MOUNT it's controlling, but not the clients that are using it.

But this brings up something related that puzzles me… what is the
connect to ASCOM in APCC for? It is like it is its own client, which
is a bit circular as the Ascom driver then connects to APCC. I get the
configure button, but when and why does one connect from APCC to Ascom
(as opposed to the reverse)?
I don't have APCC (yet), so I can't answer that.

--- Mike

Mike Dodd

On 9/23/2021 9:44 AM, Ray Gralak wrote:
That said, you can force the driver to close by double-clicking the
Clients label. Any connected client will likely show an error if you
do this.
That's good to know, Ray. The next time my ASCOM driver is still open after disconnecting all clients, I'll first check this to see how many the driver thinks are still connected, then double-click it to close the driver.

--- Mike

Ray Gralak

But this brings up something related that puzzles me… what is the connect to ASCOM in APCC for? It is like
it is its own client, which is a bit circular as the Ascom driver then connects to APCC. I get the configure
button, but when and why does one connect from APCC to Ascom (as opposed to the reverse)?
APCC does not use the ASCOM driver, so there is no circular path.

The *ONLY* purpose for APCC starting the ASCOM driver is to keep the ASCOM driver open during a session. This saves a few milliseconds if the driver has to open and close when all clients disconnect, then connect again.

I usually don't enable the option, but there is nothing wrong with enabling it.

-Ray

Ray wrote:

But this brings up something related that puzzles me… what is the connect to ASCOM in APCC for? It is like
it is its own client, which is a bit circular as the Ascom driver then connects to APCC. I get the configure
button, but when and why does one connect from APCC to Ascom (as opposed to the reverse)?
APCC does not use the ASCOM driver, so there is no circular path.
Sure, sorry, I was unclear, I realized it couldn't "use" it in the normal sense which is why I said circular, not meaning to imply the circular aspect was a problem just how I knew it was not obviously userful.

The *ONLY* purpose for APCC starting the ASCOM driver is to keep the ASCOM driver open during a session.
This saves a few milliseconds if the driver has to open and close when all clients disconnect, then connect again.
Got it. I hope one day I get so methodical that a few milliseconds is meaningful. 😊

FYI I had some similar frustrations thinking that all my clients were disconnected from ASCOM but it still reported clients being connected

I hunted down the mystery client to the planewave PWI control software for their focuser/rotator - it creates a connection to the mount, even though I don't use that software for anything mount related.

so it's handy to have # of clients connected

--
Brian

Brian Valente