Clean out your old APCC Logs

Chris White

I use a minix computer from a few years ago and it's got a small hard drive on it with an M2 add on for my image download.  The main hard drive has been getting closer and closer to full and I couldnt figure out why.  A couple of nights ago I lost an imaging session because it finally got too full.  All the normal tricks with disk cleanup and windows search deletion couldnt get me more than a couple hundred megabytes.  I was blaming it on Windows update and was basically ready to toss the thing out and get a new PC. 

Bill Long told me to take a look at my APCC Pro Log folder and I was shocked to find that I had almost a year of logs totaling 5GB!  I deleted these and it's like my PC has a new lease on life 

To Ray:  Would it be possible to have these auto-delete after say 30 days?  I assume that there is not much use for logs unless you encounter a current issue and need to access.  Something that was working fine 30 days ago shouldn't be much use, no?

M Hambrick

That's a great question Chris. As a follow-up how do you find these logs using Windows Explorer ? I can't seem to find the APCC folder anywhere unless I open the Log Directory from APCC. When I do this it takes me to the logs via the following path:

However, the folder ProgramData does not show up in my Windows Exlporer.

Mike

Worsel

Mike

C:/ProgramData is, by Windows default, a hidden folder.  It will appear in Windows Explorer, if you check the Hidden Folders box in the View tab

Bryan

Ben Koltenbah

I would prefer that these log files not be deleted as they serve as excellent diagnostics for when things go wrong, and I may not be able to get to them for quite some time, often more than 30 days later.  I try to make it a point to move the log files to the folders associated with their respective imaging sessions.  If after some time I decide I don't need them after all, then I delete them.  I also save my guiding logs and other log files in the same spot.

Ben

For this kind of thing, I use Tree Size - a simple free utility that does a great job of showing your usage by directory, so I can easily find and delete unneeded logs, etc.

https://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free

It's not just APCC that generates tons of logs: ASCOM can do this, and Windows has its fair share of disk clogging files as well. 

This utility starts by listing the directories by storage used, and you can drill down from there. One time we found 250 gigs of Windows search index files 

Brian

Brian

Terri Zittritsch

Chris, Thank you for the pointer, I have 18.3 GB of data in my APCC log!!!    A nice find.    It's also a great idea to clean up old logs on some time frame, maybe the timeframe could be settable in settings, maybe a radio button to delete old log files, that once set has a small box to indicate after how many days..    So you can either keep or delete, and if delete after how many days.

Terri

Chris White

Terri,

That's a whole lot of good performance records!

Yeah, it would be ideal to have a user setting to delete after x days... if you want to.  

Bill Long

APCC logs and the Microsoft search index database are the two things I manage to keep space free. I have search disabled and the db is deleted on my imaging system. 

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of Chris White <chris.white@...>
Sent: Friday, November 12, 2021 12:44 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Clean out your old APCC Logs

Terri,

That's a whole lot of good performance records!

Yeah, it would be ideal to have a user setting to delete after x days... if you want to.