Cases

Bob Luffel <bluffel@...>

Dave,

Were your cases ATA? (airline travel approved)

I had some Anvil cases made for a mount (GM200) that were ATA rated, and they
weigh close to 20lbs each! (not good for a mount with pieces that are
in the 40+lb range already). Perhaps the extra ATA rating required much
heavier components (and wall thicknesses) than your cases, but the overall
appearance looks very similar. Adding to the hassle of moving the mount
pieces around is the fact that the cases add a lot of bulk.

What I have always wanted to have made for a mount case looks more like
the Tenba case for the Traveler. A fitted fabric padded case (with a hard
plywood floor stiffener) with heavy sewn on handles. I generally just need
some way to easily carry a mount and protect it from the fairly gentle rubs
and bumps it will get from trips in my car or truck.

Has anyone tried to make or have made a case like this? (when I get my 1200GTO
I intend to pursue this).

Bob Luffel

Derek,

Good job finding that website for NRG. I had no idea it even=20
existed. On that site you can get an idea of the case construction.=20=20
As to weight, the cases they made for me are actually pretty light!=20=20
Don't know the exact weight but it is minimal. The secret I believe=20
is the thin, high density plywood they use for a structural base. Of=20
course you never see the plywood because of the vinyl on the exterior=20
and felt or foam on the interior. BTW, I forgot to mention that all=20
of the mating joints (eg: lid to box) have a fine aluminum moulding=20
that engages precisely when the case is closed, making for a great,=20
dust-tight seal. At star parties, besides a lot of interested=20
parties wanting to inspect the 1200 mount, I also get a lot of guys=20
wanting to know where I got the neat cases.=20

Dave Jurasevich

Bob Luffel <bluffel@...>

John,

Excellent idea, I never checked Tenba's site until now. The monitor cases come
in a variety of sizes (and with handles and wheels). The prices seemed pretty
high, though ($400-600). I wonder what the typical mail order discounters
for these - do you know of a good source?

(Tenba's website is at www.tenba.com)

Bob

Bob and all,

Steve Mandel and I used cases from Tenba to transport a complete AP 900 mount and pedistal assembly. They make a great PAD case that holds a 42" high pedistal, footing, legs and tension bars, plus room for extras. Heavy duty zippers, and velcro fasteners, it is octagonal in shape and can be opened at both ends. In fact it can be opened completely into a flat configuration. It is cordura over hard plastic. Tenba also makes PC monitor cases that are ideal for holding the fully assembled 900 head. Hard plastic, foam filled shell covered by cordura. Worked perfect! We just wrapped the head in bubble pack. These cases are all light weight. We've used these on two trips to Australia and all equipment came through perfectly. The cordura covering hardly shows a skuff.

I purchased a second PAD bag that holds my 6" f/7 case tightly. It provided nice outer protection. The OTA came thorugh without the need for collimation.

I've used Pelican cases to transport G11 mounts as well. Very nice, but heavy.

Cheers,

John Gleason
www.celestialimage.com

[...]

Who invented Gatorade -- and what part did it play in
winning the1967 Orange Bowl? Find out the true facts at
http://click.egroups.com/1/6212/7/_/3615/_/962901213/

http://click.egroups.com/1/6212/7/_/3615/_/962902631/

howldog@...

Derek,

Good job finding that website for NRG. I had no idea it even
existed. On that site you can get an idea of the case construction.
As to weight, the cases they made for me are actually pretty light!
Don't know the exact weight but it is minimal. The secret I believe
is the thin, high density plywood they use for a structural base. Of
course you never see the plywood because of the vinyl on the exterior
and felt or foam on the interior. BTW, I forgot to mention that all
of the mating joints (eg: lid to box) have a fine aluminum moulding
that engages precisely when the case is closed, making for a great,
dust-tight seal. At star parties, besides a lot of interested
parties wanting to inspect the 1200 mount, I also get a lot of guys
wanting to know where I got the neat cases.

John G,

I doubt you will get a discount on an AP1200 case from NRG, but it's
worth a try. They have a pretty constant production run of standrd
size cases for the entertainment industry so your request for
telescope cases actually results in somewhat of a problem for them,
hence a little higher price. Anything custom always costs a little
more.

Regards,

Dave Jurasevich

Terry R. Friedrichsen <terry@...>

I doubt you will get a discount on an AP1200 case from NRG, ...
For some competition in this area, check out A & S Case Co., curiously
(or perhaps not so :-) also located in North Hollywood:

http://www.ascase.com

Torus Optics shipped me one of their 12.5" classical Cass scopes in an
A & S Case, and I promptly dubbed it "the nuclear-hardened case".

I even used it to ship the scope back. I was a lot sorrier to see the
case go than I was the scope.

Terry R. Friedrichsen

terry@...

John Gleason

[...]

John J. Kasianowicz <surpher@...>

There is an extruded aluminum product called "80-20" that might interest
people who want to build their own cases in an erector set fashion. I'll try
to find the best source for it later today.

[...]

Where do sports heroes like Derek Jeter, Mia Hamm,
Vince Carter and Peyton Manning hang out? Where else?
Click now and find 'em all here!
http://click.egroups.com/1/6211/7/_/3615/_/962894406/