Topics

Capacity check on AP 1100

David Enck

Hello AP Folks,

My last post was mentioning adding a refractor  to my AP 1100 to go along with my 14 in Meade LX850 67 lb SCT. After adding up all the  additional weights of the refractor and side by side configuration from the ADM  rails and saddles, it will put my  total weight at about 110 #'s give or take a couple  depending on eyepieces..

Will this be ok, as in not affect  my guiding and  such  as long as it is all balanced out  correctly? I use and off axis guider when  doing  any photography.

Thank you for your advice!

David

Christopher Erickson

I think it will be fine as a fun experiment. It won't be as rigid as it was before, but that's to be expected. And if you don't like the setup enough to make it a permanent solution,  you can always easily revert back to your previous configuration and you will have the tandem setup that could be re-deployed in just a few minutes.

Quite often I use 2-scope and even 3-scope tandem bars when doing solar outreach. Makes it a lot of fun to compare white-light filters with h-alpha and calcium-k views, for example. Or monocular views with binoviews.

When setting up a tandem scope config, I use a pencil on the floor to find the balance points of the various equipment combinations and assemblies and then mark them with a small bit of tape or an adhesive dot that I can use for a reference when mounting stuff up on the mount.

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory engineer
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

On Thu, Dec 3, 2020, 11:16 AM David Enck <davidenck@...> wrote:
Hello AP Folks,

My last post was mentioning adding a refractor  to my AP 1100 to go along with my 14 in Meade LX850 67 lb SCT. After adding up all the  additional weights of the refractor and side by side configuration from the ADM  rails and saddles, it will put my  total weight at about 110 #'s give or take a couple  depending on eyepieces..

Will this be ok, as in not affect  my guiding and  such  as long as it is all balanced out  correctly? I use and off axis guider when  doing  any photography.

Thank you for your advice!

David

Jeff B

Of course one way to find out David is to give it a go and see.

On Thu, Dec 3, 2020 at 4:27 PM Christopher Erickson <christopher.k.erickson@...> wrote:
[...]

CaptMax

Please post pictures if you do.

David Enck

Yup, that may be the way  to go in the end, but it is an expensive test..  Not a big fan of dismounting  and  remounting the two OTA's  to switch them out. Hoping to get it usable  in one unit as it is much easier to  use one or the other on a whim if they are both mounted up at the same time, or compare views back and forth with one set up. I have only had SCT's and  am very curious how this TAK TSA 120 would  do in comparison.

It tracks very well currently with the SCT  right now with  an ASI 2600 camera at about 2080 mm focal length (reducer)  for astro  photography..  Don't want to  lower that ability too much if I add in the refractor..  Guessing the refractor  would  be  much more forgiving at it's focal length though along with the better pixel scale of the camera..

Guessing  this new set up  would be fine for  visual for sure though..

Just hoping  for a bit more of a definitive answer to  ease my concern before making the plunge..  :-)

David Enck

sure, will  do on the pictures :-)

Worsel

Chris

The only 3-way tandem bar I am aware of is Robin Casaday's Triad which is no longer made.  Do you have another with which you have good experience?

THANKS!

Bryan

Christopher Erickson

I have a machine shop...

However a long ADM dovetail bar combined with one or two ADM dovetail brackets and one or two XY stage dovetail brackets, combined with a drill press and some bits, 1/4-20 or 3/8-16 taps will do the job.

Or any competent local machine shop.

Or order a long ADM dovetail bar and have it shipped to me. I will drill and tap the right holes in the right places and then mail it to you.

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory engineer
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

On Thu, Dec 3, 2020, 6:48 PM Worsel via groups.io <bryancashion=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Chris

The only 3-way tandem bar I am aware of is Robin Casaday's Triad which is no longer made.  Do you have another with which you have good experience?

THANKS!

Bryan

Worsel

Chris

Thanks!  I can build it with that info.

Bryan

Dan Purjes

I have had an AP 10" Mak, a TEC 180 refractor, a Tak 90 II, and an AT-72 all on an AP1100 at the same time.
No problem, though this configuration is only for viewing, not imaging.
This mount never ceases to amaze me with its capabilities and smooth performance.
This is not a permanent configuration in my observatory, but one that I mount occasionally.
I like the different width of field, visual views provided by each scope on a target. Adds context to the views, so to speak.
The two larger scopes are mounted on a dual saddle bar. Each of the smaller scopes is mounted on a bar on top of the bigger scope.

Dan

Michael Hamburg

I have a Celestron Edge11 HD  with an Orion 80mm ED refractor piggybacked on a 900GTO for imaging and never a problem with tracking or balance.

Best wishes, Michael

On Sunday, December 6, 2020, 06:06:05 AM EST, Dan Purjes <dan@...> wrote:

I have had an AP 10" Mak, a TEC 180 refractor, a Tak 90 II, and an AT-72 all on an AP1100 at the same time.
No problem, though this configuration is only for viewing, not imaging.
This mount never ceases to amaze me with its capabilities and smooth performance.
This is not a permanent configuration in my observatory, but one that I mount occasionally.
I like the different width of field, visual views provided by each scope on a target. Adds context to the views, so to speak.
The two larger scopes are mounted on a dual saddle bar. Each of the smaller scopes is mounted on a bar on top of the bigger scope.

Dan

Jeff B

"I have had an AP 10" Mak, a TEC 180 refractor, a Tak 90 II, and an AT-72 all on an AP1100 at the same time."

Boy, I'd like to see a picture of that!.

Jeff

On Sun, Dec 6, 2020 at 9:36 AM Michael Hamburg via groups.io <michael_hamburg44=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Bill Long

The 1100 could probably track fine with a Ford F150 mounted on it. 😉

[...]

I'd like to see that picture too. 😀

On Sun, Dec 6, 2020 at 12:29 PM Bill Long <bill@...> wrote:
[...]

dvjbaja

 In my humble opinion, my 1100 is just adequate for the AP 10" by itself.  I would probably only be satisfied with a 1600 under it.  But I am weird that way. ;-)

-j

On Sun, Dec 6, 2020 at 9:29 AM Bill Long <bill@...> wrote:
[...]

mjb87@...

I am using a side-by-side arrangement on my AP 1100: a 130mm GTX and a 300mm CFF Cassegrain. With all attachments and the AP-supplied dovetail bars, saddles, etc., I estimate total weight at about 100-105 lbs.

The mount works fine. I'm still doing 3m unguided imaging with pinpoint stars.  (I don't really need to go more than 3 minutes with my ZWO camera.)

I do notice more "shake" when touching the focuser and looking through the 300mm f/15 Cassegrain. This doesn't surprise me and is probably a function of the side-by-side arrangement.

However, my experiment is coming to an end. As soon as my Mach2 arrives (couple of weeks?) and my ExploraDome arrives (two weeks?) I'll break down the setup and each telescope will have its own mount.

Jeff B

👍

On Sun, Dec 6, 2020 at 1:29 PM mjb87 via groups.io <mjb87=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:
I am using a side-by-side arrangement on my AP 1100: a 130mm GTX and a 300mm CFF Cassegrain. With all attachments and the AP-supplied dovetail bars, saddles, etc., I estimate total weight at about 100-105 lbs.

The mount works fine. I'm still doing 3m unguided imaging with pinpoint stars.  (I don't really need to go more than 3 minutes with my ZWO camera.)

I do notice more "shake" when touching the focuser and looking through the 300mm f/15 Cassegrain. This doesn't surprise me and is probably a function of the side-by-side arrangement.

However, my experiment is coming to an end. As soon as my Mach2 arrives (couple of weeks?) and my ExploraDome arrives (two weeks?) I'll break down the setup and each telescope will have its own mount.

Astrobob

You’d need another Ford F150 for a counterweight…..

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Bill Long

Or a few Focuses. 😉