Can't park facing down

Eric Claeys

SGPro has the ability to set a park position based on the current position of the mount, then at the end of a sequence it tells the mount to park.  I believe the way it sets the park position is to send a "set park position" command along with the current mount position to the ASCOM driver which I assume forwards it on to APCC.

I like to park the mount with the OTA facing down to minimize dust collecting on the lens.  I have a "User Defined Alt/Az" in APCC that does that.  However, when SGPro tells the mount to park, it fails because it can't park with the OTA pointing down.

Is there a reason for that?  And/or a way around it?

ap@CaptivePhotons.com

On Wed, May 11, 2022 at 07:04 AM, Eric Claeys wrote:
However, when SGPro tells the mount to park, it fails because it can't park with the OTA pointing down.
I don't use SGP but I think it uses ascom, which only has a "park" not "park position" command.  You can set the default ascom position in the ascom setup however.   I assume it will take a user defined position though haven't tried it.

Linwood

Stacey Mills

Related to this issue, I have tried to manually command a slightly altitude down park or even "go to" for flat screen imaging in APCC, but APCC does not seem to allow altitude <0.

Thanks!

Chris White

On Wed, May 11, 2022 at 05:10 PM, Stacey Mills wrote:
Related to this issue, I have tried to manually command a slightly altitude down park or even "go to" for flat screen imaging in APCC, but APCC does not seem to allow altitude <0.

Thanks!
I have a user park position that is slightly below altitude of zero .  If I dont my roof hits the OAG when imaging at 0 degrees.  I just slewed to where I wanted it to park and used that position to set the user park position in APCC.

Chris White

On Thu, May 12, 2022 at 10:32 AM, Chris White wrote:
I have a user park position that is slightly below altitude of zero .  If I dont my roof hits the OAG when imaging at 0 degrees.  I just slewed to where I wanted it to park and used that position to set the user park position in APCC.
Whoops.  My park position is just CW up, with altitude of zero.

HOWEVER!  I just tested it and successfully set a park position with Altitude of -15 degrees.  It worked fine.  Again, I just slewed to where I wanted it to park and then set the user park position with those coordinates.  Tested it out, and successfully parked at a negative altitude.

it could be horizon or other limits are interfering with positioning the scope downwards for those having issues

On Thu, May 12, 2022 at 7:57 AM Chris White <chris.white@...> wrote:
On Thu, May 12, 2022 at 10:32 AM, Chris White wrote:
I have a user park position that is slightly below altitude of zero .  If I dont my roof hits the OAG when imaging at 0 degrees.  I just slewed to where I wanted it to park and used that position to set the user park position in APCC.
Whoops.  My park position is just CW up, with altitude of zero.

HOWEVER!  I just tested it and successfully set a park position with Altitude of -15 degrees.  It worked fine.  Again, I just slewed to where I wanted it to park and then set the user park position with those coordinates.  Tested it out, and successfully parked at a negative altitude.

Howard Hedlund

Hi Folks,

I believe I have a simple solution for this, but need to revisit the whole question.  I'm on it.

HKH

Eric Claeys

Chris,
In APCC I have a user-defined park position that faces down and it works fine in APCC.  However,  if I go there and in SGPro tell it to set that as the park position, then move the mount elsewhere, then press the "Park" button in SGPro, the mount doesn't move.

In one of the log files (don't remember which one) there was a message about not being able to park at negative alt.

I wonder if you have altitude minimums set in SGP?

On Thu, May 12, 2022 at 9:05 AM Eric Claeys <AstroEric@...> wrote:
Chris,
In APCC I have a user-defined park position that faces down and it works fine in APCC.  However,  if I go there and in SGPro tell it to set that as the park position, then move the mount elsewhere, then press the "Park" button in SGPro, the mount doesn't move.

In one of the log files (don't remember which one) there was a message about not being able to park at negative alt.

Chris White

Eric,

I see. Have you verified that the ascom driver has the same information as apcc pro regarding user park position?

I'm not an sgp user, I use voyager but have not had the problem. Have you asked Ken and Jared?  Maybe it's an sgp thing?

Eric Claeys

The ASCOM driver is set to park to "alt/az", which I assume is the user-defined alt-az location I had set to be pointing down.
The limitation is with APCC.  When trying to park to an altitude < 0, the APCC log has this:

0066665 2022-05-13 05:45:08.749:       Info, ProcessVPortCommand, RX from VPort 0: :APCC,390,*PARKALTAZ,-12,62#
0066666 2022-05-13 05:45:08.749:       Info, ProcessVPortCommand, APCC Seq=     390, CMD=*PARKALTAZ,-12,62#
0066667 2022-05-13 05:45:08.749:       Info,        REST API, (RX: *PARKALTAZ,-12,62#), TX: 0,Invalid Altitude#

Ray Gralak

Hi Eric,

Thanks for posting that. I will fix that in the next APCC build.

-Ray

The ASCOM driver is set to park to "alt/az", which I assume is the user-defined alt-az location I had set to be
pointing down.
The limitation is with APCC. When trying to park to an altitude < 0, the APCC log has this:

0066665 2022-05-13 05:45:08.749: Info, ProcessVPortCommand, RX from VPort 0:
:APCC,390,*PARKALTAZ,-12,62#
0066666 2022-05-13 05:45:08.749: Info, ProcessVPortCommand, APCC Seq= 390,
CMD=*PARKALTAZ,-12,62#
0066667 2022-05-13 05:45:08.749: Info, REST API, (RX: *PARKALTAZ,-12,62#), TX: 0,Invalid
Altitude#

Stacey Mills

Thanks Ray,

For those of us with domes it's sometimes easier to put the flat panel stationary below the rotating dome and angled upward, then park the scope angled downward to center on it.