Can smog effect autoguiding?

Tom Blahovici

After two perfect nights automating imaging into the wee hours of the morning, tonight it has been a disaster. I get swings of 4" whereas I was getting .6" the last two evenings for 10 hours each night.
At first I had not idea what was going on. I checked the scope, there were no wire hang ups, everything looks perfect.  Outside, the night appears nice and clear.
It now all of a sudden seems to be performing ok, not as good as usual, but I just heard on the radio that there is a smog warning in my area.
Is this a possibility? Or am I destined to always have problems, just when all have been sorted out.  You goot love this hobby.
Tom

Hi Tom

>>>I just heard on the radio that there is a smog warning in my area.
Is this a possibility?

it's very unlikely. you can open the log viewer and see if your guide star SNR has dropped significantly, but I would not imagine that kind of change

>>>am I destined to always have problems, just when all have been sorted out.

If you are doing astronomy, yes you will always have new and exciting problems to solve :)

--
Brian

Brian Valente

Tom Blahovici

Oh, that's unfortunate. It's really weird.  I shut down all the software, rebooted windows and the problem remained.  I shut down everything again, and this time powered off the observatory and when it came back up things seem more stable.
So it's not software but rather something in the hardware.  I am using a CP4 with a 600e mount.
Tom

if you are using PHD i can look at the guidelogs and give you some feedback

On Fri, Dec 18, 2020 at 8:00 PM Tom Blahovici <tom.va2fsq@...> wrote:
Oh, that's unfortunate. It's really weird.  I shut down all the software, rebooted windows and the problem remained.  I shut down everything again, and this time powered off the observatory and when it came back up things seem more stable.
So it's not software but rather something in the hardware.  I am using a CP4 with a 600e mount.
Tom

--
Brian

Brian Valente

Tom Blahovici

Hi Thanks for the offer.  You will some some of the shorter ones with the wild behavior.
Best regards, Tom

Tom Blahovici

#5 is particularly bad.

Hi Tom

i need the guidelog, not the debug log thanks

On Sat, Dec 19, 2020 at 9:13 AM Tom Blahovici <tom.va2fsq@...> wrote:
Hi Thanks for the offer.  You will some some of the shorter ones with the wild behavior.
Best regards, Tom

--
Brian

Brian Valente