Can I transfer a PEMPro PEC curve from a CP3 to CP4?

Patrick Spencer

I recently upgraded from a CP3 to a CP4 for my Mach1. I have found conflicting information in AP documentation regarding whether I can reuse the existing PEMPro PEC curve created with the CP3. On page 1 of the GTOCP4 Upgrade and Installation Guide, it states to copy the curve from the CP3, save it to computer, and then "Once you have swapped the control boxes, get the PE 'From File' and send it 'To Mount' and you are done."

But the CP4 manual states "If you are upgrading to the GTOCP4 from an earlier control box, you cannot reuse the curve from your GTOCP1/2/3. You will need to use PEMPro to generate a new PE curve for your mount. Curves cannot be transferred from one control box to another, as they will end up out of phase."

Can anyone clarify this for me? I was hoping to switch the boxes tonight, but if I have to re-run PEMPro and create a new PEC curve, I will probably wait until later in the month so I don't waste imaging time around the new moon.

Thanks,

Patrick Spencer

Hi Patrick

i don't have direct experience with what you're describing, but that description makes sense

you don't need to reacquire data, you just need to load the data you already gathered, create and output the curve (to a file), and then upload it to the CP4

This should take all of a couple minutes, it's not the same as having to gather the data

--
Brian

Brian Valente

George

Patrick,

We are investigating a way to transfer the PE curve, but at this time it will be necessary to do a new curve.    It never hurts to have a fresh curve.

Regards,

George

George Whitney

Astro-Physics, Inc.

Phone:  815-222-6538 (direct line)

Phone:  815-282-1513 (office)

[...]

Dominique

Edited

Hi,
Subject already mentioned in early 2020.
https://ap-gto.groups.io/g/main/message/68026
Roland had made this answer.
"You cannot load the data directly from a CP3 to a CP4 because of the difference in the number of points. However, if you bring the curve up in PEMPro from the CP3, you can then use that created curve to load into the CP4. You can smooth out the steps and load it with a bit of finer detail that way.

Sorry for the confusion, I may have told George wrong since I did not fully understand how you were going to transfer the curve."

Dominique

Patrick Spencer

I think I confused the issue by my inexact choice of terminology. I don't really intend to "transfer" the curve from the CP3 directly to the CP4 per se. I envision doing essentially what Brian suggested earlier, i.e., taking the existing PEMPro data I have stored on my computer and using it to create a curve and send that curve to the CP4. My primary concern was whether the data would be incompatible since it was originally collected using the CP3 ("out of phase" as stated in the CP4 documentation).

So I guess the more clear question would have been: can I use PEMPro data originally collected with a CP3 to make a curve for my new CP4? Or do I need to start from scratch and collect data using the CP4?

The quoted text from Roland from that early 2020 thread seems to indicate I can make a new curve using my existing data. But please don't hesitate to correct me if I'm misunderstanding the responses.

Thanks for all the help everyone, much appreciated!

Patrick

Hi Patrick

again weighing in without direct experience (although I've done this with other non-ap mounts)

when you re-create the curve from your existing data, you configjre PEMPro for the new CP4 then the new curve you create will be the correct resolution for that controller. CP4 is one of the options for AP

Brian

On Tue, Jan 12, 2021 at 1:56 PM Patrick Spencer <patrick.spencer2@...> wrote:
[...]

Ray Gralak

But the CP4 manual states "If you are upgrading to the GTOCP4 from an earlier control box, you cannot reuse
the curve from your GTOCP1/2/3. You will need to use PEMPro to generate a new PE curve for your mount.
Curves cannot be transferred from one control box to another, as they will end up out of phase."
This is the correct answer.

-Ray Gralak
Author of PEMPro