Can DSCs be attached to new 900 mounts?

Rich N. <rnapo@...>

Yes, I have a 900 GOTO on order. However I don't like
the idea of a telescope slewing to a target when I can
move the scope myself. I know this can't be done with
the GOTO or it will lose its place in the sky.

Can DSCs like the JMI DSCs be installed on the GOTO
versions of the 900 mount?

Unless I am out by myself I can't see ever using the mount
in GOTO mode. I prefer star hopping. But it may be nice to
use a computer find some objects, but not via GOTO. I'm getting
the GOTO because if for some reason I find a use for it later it is cheaper
to get it installed prior to taking ownership of the mount. Yes,
I did have a choice since I ordered it before you could only
get the 900 with GOTO.

Yes, I could call AP and get my question answered but this list
seemed a little slow lately. ;-)

Thanks,
Rich

David A. Silva <dasilva@...>

On Wed, 21 Jul 1999 21:39:49 -0700, Rich N. wrote:

Yes, I have a 900 GOTO on order. However I don't like
the idea of a telescope slewing to a target when I can
move the scope myself. I know this can't be done with
the GOTO or it will lose its place in the sky.

Can DSCs like the JMI DSCs be installed on the GOTO
versions of the 900 mount?
Rich

Why not use the hand controller to manually move the scope. That way
you can still star hop without the GOTO function, and you won't lose
the reference as you would manually moving the scope.

-David

Rich N. <rnapo@...>

Yes, I have a 900 GOTO on order. However I don't like
the idea of a telescope slewing to a target when I can
move the scope myself. I know this can't be done with
the GOTO or it will lose its place in the sky.

Can DSCs like the JMI DSCs be installed on the GOTO
versions of the 900 mount?
Rich

Why not use the hand controller to manually move the scope. That way
you can still star hop without the GOTO function, and you won't lose
the reference as you would manually moving the scope.

-David

Oh! Not a bad idea. Thanks!

Rich

Paul Gustafson <drgus@...>

IIRC, you can use DSC's like the NGC-Max with the 900 GTO, but you have to
buy AP's encoders for both axes, since the goto uses the motors, not
encoders on the shaft, for position info. The motor info isn't accessible to
the DSC's.

Regards,
Paul Gustafson

[...]

Click Here to apply for a NextCard Internet Visa and start earning
FREE travel in HALF the time with the NextCard Rew@rds Program.
http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/449

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ap-gto

Tim Khan

Rich,

Yes, if you move the scope/mount manually the mount wont know where
youre pointing. What I do, when I manually use the scope/mount, is to
first computer align the scope, then point it to a bright star that
won't set for a while such as Altair. After which I manually move the
scope/mount anywhere until I want to use the goto features. To regain
goto capabilities, you manually point to the star that you last used
the goto on, then center with the hand controller, press Rcal, and your
back to goto-in.

Tim

--- "David A. Silva" <dasilva@scsconsult.com> wrote:
On Wed, 21 Jul 1999 21:39:49 -0700, Rich N. wrote:

Yes, I have a 900 GOTO on order. However I don't
like
the idea of a telescope slewing to a target when I
can
move the scope myself. I know this can't be done
with
the GOTO or it will lose its place in the sky.

Can DSCs like the JMI DSCs be installed on the GOTO
versions of the 900 mount?
Rich

Why not use the hand controller to manually move the
scope. That way
you can still star hop without the GOTO function,
and you won't lose
the reference as you would manually moving the
scope.

-David

Was the salesman clueless?
Productopia has the answers.
http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/555

eGroups.com home:
http://www.egroups.com/group/ap-gto
http://www.egroups.com - Simplifying group
communications

Charles Sinsofsky <strfire@...>

I will be adding the ability to join this group and the other a/p group from
my web site and also from a/p web site. This should stir some talks here. I
have quite a list now of DSV owerns and growing as well.

Special note: DigitalSky Voice Version 3.00 was presented at StarFest-99
just outside of Toronto Canada last week. YES all registered users of
DigtialSky Voice 2.x will receive FREE digtialsky voice 3.00 from the
transporter room in the web site.

Many new features, watch the web site in the coming weeks for full details.

- Enjoy--- Charles Sinsofsky

[...]

Want the power to purchase wisely? Productopia has the answers.
http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/553

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ap-gto