C14 HyperStar weight on a Mach2GTO #Mach2GTO


deonb
 

I remove my HyperStar and DewShield off every morning and slew the scope to Park-3 and cover it. Works fine, even though it's very out of balance without the Hyperstar.

Then at night I try to slew the scope to "almost" Park-1 and then try to install my Hyperstar while in that position. This is where the problem comes in...

Once the HyperStar and DewShield on, both RA and DEC are perfectly balanced - with clutches fully loose I can move the scope in every direction with a q-tip and it will stay where I put it. It's a dream.

However, until the HyperStar + DewShield is on, the DEC axis is so far out of balance that the motor will stall during the attempted slew to the position where I can reach and install the Hyperstar, and it will sometimes violently pull back.


Does anybody have an idea of how to handle this? Maybe temporary weight I can add to the front of the scope until the Hyperstar is connected? I can of course put on the dew shield for weight, but I don't feel comfortable working inside the shield with the Hyperstar.  My Celestron dovetail bar is already maxed out to the front.

Any ideas?


Michael Kelly
 

Maybe slip on a counterweight to the dovetail up front to compensate for the weight reduction after removing your dew shield/Hyperstar and slewing to P1.

On Saturday, August 6, 2022, 1:58 AM, deonb <deonb@...> wrote:

I remove my HyperStar and DewShield off every morning and slew the scope to Park-3 and cover it. Works fine, even though it's very out of balance without the Hyperstar.

Then at night I try to slew the scope to "almost" Park-1 and then try to install my Hyperstar while in that position. This is where the problem comes in...

Once the HyperStar and DewShield on, both RA and DEC are perfectly balanced - with clutches fully loose I can move the scope in every direction with a q-tip and it will stay where I put it. It's a dream.

However, until the HyperStar + DewShield is on, the DEC axis is so far out of balance that the motor will stall during the attempted slew to the position where I can reach and install the Hyperstar, and it will sometimes violently pull back.


Does anybody have an idea of how to handle this? Maybe temporary weight I can add to the front of the scope until the Hyperstar is connected? I can of course put on the dew shield for weight, but I don't feel comfortable working inside the shield with the Hyperstar.  My Celestron dovetail bar is already maxed out to the front.

Any ideas?


deonb
 

On Sat, Aug 6, 2022 at 05:08 AM, Michael Kelly wrote:
Maybe slip on a counterweight to the dovetail up front to compensate for the weight reduction after removing your dew shield/Hyperstar and slewing to P1.
I would but my Dovetail is already fully loaded there with the dew & camera controller. I don't want to move those to the back because that makes the weight problem worse.

Does anybody make a dovetail that can take a C14 and extend 6" beyond the front of the scope?


Howard Ritter
 

Have you asked Anthony at admaccessories.com whether he has/can make something for you?

—howard

On Aug 6, 2022, at 8:43 AM, deonb <deonb@...> wrote:

On Sat, Aug 6, 2022 at 05:08 AM, Michael Kelly wrote:
Maybe slip on a counterweight to the dovetail up front to compensate for the weight reduction after removing your dew shield/Hyperstar and slewing to P1.
I would but my Dovetail is already fully loaded there with the dew & camera controller. I don't want to move those to the back because that makes the weight problem worse.

Does anybody make a dovetail that can take a C14 and extend 6" beyond the front of the scope?


 

Not sure of the length of the C14 but Losmandy has a 24" dovetail


On Sat, Aug 6, 2022 at 5:43 AM deonb <deonb@...> wrote:
On Sat, Aug 6, 2022 at 05:08 AM, Michael Kelly wrote:
Maybe slip on a counterweight to the dovetail up front to compensate for the weight reduction after removing your dew shield/Hyperstar and slewing to P1.
I would but my Dovetail is already fully loaded there with the dew & camera controller. I don't want to move those to the back because that makes the weight problem worse.

Does anybody make a dovetail that can take a C14 and extend 6" beyond the front of the scope?




deonb
 

On Sat, Aug 6, 2022 at 06:22 AM, Brian Valente wrote:
Not sure of the length of the C14 but Losmandy has a 24" dovetail
The C14 is 31". It's built-in dovetail is 24".


 

well that isn't going to help ;)


On Sat, Aug 6, 2022 at 11:06 AM deonb <deonb@...> wrote:
On Sat, Aug 6, 2022 at 06:22 AM, Brian Valente wrote:
Not sure of the length of the C14 but Losmandy has a 24" dovetail
The C14 is 31". It's built-in dovetail is 24".




Sébastien Doré
 

Do you remove the hyperstar only to put the front cover back on the scope?

If so, have you thought about using one of these aluminum dew shield on which you can directly put a cover on (without removing the hyperstar)?

Sébastien 

Le 6 août 2022 à 01:58, deonb <deonb@...> a écrit :



I remove my HyperStar and DewShield off every morning and slew the scope to Park-3 and cover it. Works fine, even though it's very out of balance without the Hyperstar.

Then at night I try to slew the scope to "almost" Park-1 and then try to install my Hyperstar while in that position. This is where the problem comes in...

Once the HyperStar and DewShield on, both RA and DEC are perfectly balanced - with clutches fully loose I can move the scope in every direction with a q-tip and it will stay where I put it. It's a dream.

However, until the HyperStar + DewShield is on, the DEC axis is so far out of balance that the motor will stall during the attempted slew to the position where I can reach and install the Hyperstar, and it will sometimes violently pull back.


Does anybody have an idea of how to handle this? Maybe temporary weight I can add to the front of the scope until the Hyperstar is connected? I can of course put on the dew shield for weight, but I don't feel comfortable working inside the shield with the Hyperstar.  My Celestron dovetail bar is already maxed out to the front.

Any ideas?


Christopher Erickson
 

I say quit removing the Hyperstar and cam. For lots of reasons.

Make up a custom draw-string bag to put over the end of the scope, Hyperstar and cam.

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory engineer
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com
   


On Sat, Aug 6, 2022, 2:40 PM Sébastien Doré <sebastiendore1@...> wrote:
Do you remove the hyperstar only to put the front cover back on the scope?

If so, have you thought about using one of these aluminum dew shield on which you can directly put a cover on (without removing the hyperstar)?

Sébastien 

Le 6 août 2022 à 01:58, deonb <deonb@...> a écrit :



I remove my HyperStar and DewShield off every morning and slew the scope to Park-3 and cover it. Works fine, even though it's very out of balance without the Hyperstar.

Then at night I try to slew the scope to "almost" Park-1 and then try to install my Hyperstar while in that position. This is where the problem comes in...

Once the HyperStar and DewShield on, both RA and DEC are perfectly balanced - with clutches fully loose I can move the scope in every direction with a q-tip and it will stay where I put it. It's a dream.

However, until the HyperStar + DewShield is on, the DEC axis is so far out of balance that the motor will stall during the attempted slew to the position where I can reach and install the Hyperstar, and it will sometimes violently pull back.


Does anybody have an idea of how to handle this? Maybe temporary weight I can add to the front of the scope until the Hyperstar is connected? I can of course put on the dew shield for weight, but I don't feel comfortable working inside the shield with the Hyperstar.  My Celestron dovetail bar is already maxed out to the front.

Any ideas?


Stacey Mills
 

Get one of these and slip it over the end of the dew shield, leaving everything in place.  You may need to stretch the elastic a bit but this works great.

15" Stool Seat Cover


Stacey Mills
 

if your dew shield is flexible it might be difficult to get the elastic cover over the end of it. In that case you could remove the  dew shield and use a split cover like this to allow you to leave the camera and hyperstar attached.

C14 W/ Hyperstar Spit dust cap


Roland Christen
 


Then at night I try to slew the scope to "almost" Park-1 and then try to install my Hyperstar while in that position. This is where the problem comes in...

Slewing to Park1 with so much out of balance puts a lot of stress and wear on the worm teeth. I recommend leaving the scope in Park3 and install the Hyperstar in that position. Park 3 is always the preferred position for attaching a scope or accessories to the mount. It is the position of least stress. This applies to all German Equatorial mounts.

Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

-----Original Message-----
From: deonb <deonb@...>
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Sat, Aug 6, 2022 12:58 am
Subject: [ap-gto] C14 HyperStar weight on a Mach2GTO #Mach2GTO

I remove my HyperStar and DewShield off every morning and slew the scope to Park-3 and cover it. Works fine, even though it's very out of balance without the Hyperstar.

Then at night I try to slew the scope to "almost" Park-1 and then try to install my Hyperstar while in that position. This is where the problem comes in...

Once the HyperStar and DewShield on, both RA and DEC are perfectly balanced - with clutches fully loose I can move the scope in every direction with a q-tip and it will stay where I put it. It's a dream.
However, until the HyperStar + DewShield is on, the DEC axis is so far out of balance that the motor will stall during the attempted slew to the position where I can reach and install the Hyperstar, and it will sometimes violently pull back.

Does anybody have an idea of how to handle this? Maybe temporary weight I can add to the front of the scope until the Hyperstar is connected? I can of course put on the dew shield for weight, but I don't feel comfortable working inside the shield with the Hyperstar.  My Celestron dovetail bar is already maxed out to the front.

Any ideas?


--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics


deonb
 

On Sat, Aug 6, 2022 at 05:40 PM, Sébastien Doré wrote:
If so, have you thought about using one of these aluminum dew shield on which you can directly put a cover on (without removing the hyperstar)?
I have a Celestron Alunimum dew shield but I also cover the entire scope in a TeleGizmos 365 and no way that dew shield can stay in place during the violent process of putting on the cover. I with the dew shield would screw into the OTA but it doesn't - it's a compression fit and falls off easily.


deonb
 

On Thu, Aug 11, 2022 at 01:01 PM, Roland Christen wrote:
Slewing to Park1 with so much out of balance puts a lot of stress and wear on the worm teeth. I recommend leaving the scope in Park3 and install the Hyperstar in that position. Park 3 is always the preferred position for attaching a scope or accessories to the mount. It is the position of least stress. This applies to all German Equatorial mounts.
 
It's not exactly Park 1 (APCC punishes you forever if you go anywhere near Park 1 :) ), however it's in that general area. I'm too short to put on the Hyperstar while in Park 3 and don't want to be on a ladder in the dark each day. Well, also really don't want to carry a Hyperstar and sometimes a Secondary Mirror up and down a ladder. I tend to drop things.

I definitely agree that it throws it very much out of balance, so hence looking for a solution to temporarily bring it into balance during install/uninstall.


deonb
 

Thought about that but I also cover the entire scope with a TeleGizmos 365. It would mean the entire weight of the tarp hangs on the HyperStar which will in turn transfer that added stress onto the objective.


Worsel
 

Can you move the mount manually without losing control with the clutches loose AND un-balanced?  The encoders should still know here it is.

Bryan


deonb
 

On Thu, Aug 11, 2022 at 08:58 PM, Worsel wrote:
Can you move the mount manually without losing control with the clutches loose AND un-balanced?  The encoders should still know here it is.
Sure, I can move it. But I'm not going to work anywhere near the objective (corrector plate technically), while trying to hold up the scope by hand.


Roland Christen
 


I definitely agree that it throws it very much out of balance, so hence looking for a solution to temporarily bring it into balance during install/uninstall.
Park2 is somewhat better and may allow you to remove the camera. It is not anywhere as hard on the gears as Park1 (and Parks 4 and 5). Park 2 will allow a lower access point to the front of the C14 and will not strain the gears. Park1 is definitely very bad with a heavy scope that is very much out of balance. You are looking at trouble in the long term.

Roland Christen
Astro-Physics


-----Original Message-----
From: deonb <deonb@...>
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Thu, Aug 11, 2022 9:51 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] C14 HyperStar weight on a Mach2GTO

On Thu, Aug 11, 2022 at 01:01 PM, Roland Christen wrote:
Slewing to Park1 with so much out of balance puts a lot of stress and wear on the worm teeth. I recommend leaving the scope in Park3 and install the Hyperstar in that position. Park 3 is always the preferred position for attaching a scope or accessories to the mount. It is the position of least stress. This applies to all German Equatorial mounts.
 
It's not exactly Park 1 (APCC punishes you forever if you go anywhere near Park 1 :) ), however it's in that general area. I'm too short to put on the Hyperstar while in Park 3 and don't want to be on a ladder in the dark each day. Well, also really don't want to carry a Hyperstar and sometimes a Secondary Mirror up and down a ladder. I tend to drop things.

I definitely agree that it throws it very much out of balance, so hence looking for a solution to temporarily bring it into balance during install/uninstall.

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics


ap@CaptivePhotons.com
 
Edited

On Thu, Aug 11, 2022 at 10:58 PM, deonb wrote:
Thought about that but I also cover the entire scope with a TeleGizmos 365. It would mean the entire weight of the tarp hangs on the HyperStar which will in turn transfer that added stress onto the objective.
Is there an upper dovetail?  Maybe some sort of metal extension you clamp on that extends out beyond the HyperStar to carry the weight?   A dovetail clamp and long rail, like an arca swiss size that won't be very heavy, perhaps with a Tee at the far end to spread the weight onto the material.  Would only need to be maybe 16" or so? 

[Edited to remove dew shield suggestion, I see now you discounted that.]

Alternative 
Linwood


Michael Kelly
 

On Friday, August 12, 2022 at 08:37:30 AM EDT, ap@... <ap@...> wrote:


[Edited Message Follows]

On Thu, Aug 11, 2022 at 10:58 PM, deonb wrote:
Thought about that but I also cover the entire scope with a TeleGizmos 365. It would mean the entire weight of the tarp hangs on the HyperStar which will in turn transfer that added stress onto the objective.
Is there an upper dovetail?  Maybe some sort of metal extension you clamp on that extends out beyond the HyperStar to carry the weight?   A dovetail clamp and long rail, like an arca swiss size that won't be very heavy, perhaps with a Tee at the far end to spread the weight onto the material.  Would only need to be maybe 16" or so? 

[Edited to remove dew shield suggestion, I see now you discounted that.]


Alternative 
Linwood