From: Val�rie-Fran�ois R�gembal <foudastro@...>
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Mon, Mar 8, 2021 5:04 pm
Subject: [ap-gto] C14 and AP160 side by side?

Hello all!

I'll soon receive a brand new AP1100 mount which I'll be using for my C14 EdgeHD and AP160 scopes.
Is it crazy to even consider mounting these two OTAs side by side on the AP1100? I should be right within the weight limit, including with my STT8300 CCD camera... (I realize the challenge of balancing such a monster setup).

Thanks!

Francois

Kent Kirkley

It can be done, the balancing. Do you intend to attempt to image thru both at the same time? I advise against that. No matter how well your tracking and guiding is, there will be flexure and at least one will result in trailed images.
FYI
Kent Kirkley

On Mar 8, 2021, at 6:08 PM, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:

It should work if you can get it balanced well enough.

I'll soon receive a brand new AP1100 mount which I'll be using for my C14 EdgeHD and AP160 scopes.
Is it crazy to even consider mounting these two OTAs side by side on the AP1100? I should be right within the weight limit, including with my STT8300 CCD camera... (I realize the challenge of balancing such a monster setup).

Thanks!

Francois

Christopher Erickson

I have had my C14 and 130 on my 1100 and also on my 900.

However for a C14 and a 160, personally I would go for the 1600.

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory engineer
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

On Mar 8, 2021, at 6:08 PM, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

It should work if you can get it balanced well enough.

I'll soon receive a brand new AP1100 mount which I'll be using for my C14 EdgeHD and AP160 scopes.
Is it crazy to even consider mounting these two OTAs side by side on the AP1100? I should be right within the weight limit, including with my STT8300 CCD camera... (I realize the challenge of balancing such a monster setup).

Thanks!

Francois

Worsel

Francois

I have a 14.5 iDK (33 kg) and a 130 apo (12 kg) on an 1100 mount.  No problems as far as the mount.

I balance by measuring the power draw in each axis.  https://www.astro-physics.com/cabppwm

Bryan

weems@...

I have a C14 with carbon fiber tube and dew shield side by side with an AP 6”f9 on my 900. It’s fine for visual, but would be pushing it for photography. I have the slewing rate set at 600 and it doesn’t strain at all, with careful balance. But it does take a couple of seconds to damp. At one point I had them in some kind of symmetrical geometry so vibrations would pass back and forth between the tubes for more than ten seconds, with a long period beat frequency. But a weight on the tail of the refractor, and shifting it forward fixed that. The 900 is close enough to being usable for photos that I expect an 1100 would manage with some care in setting up. Of course, a 1600 would probably not be at all challenged by this load.

Chip

Francois Regembal

Thanks a lot for your feedback!

Kent: I don't intend on imaging with both scope at the same time. Having them side by side would simply allow me to shift the imager between scopes depending on targets (basically exoplanet transits thru the C14 and imaging thru the AP160)

Christopher: indeed an AP1600 would be happier but my name came up for this current AP1100 run so... Also, the mount will be mostly used in an observatory but I want to be able to take it to darker skies every now and then

Bryan: thanks for directing me to this way of fine tuning mount balancing!

Chip: great feedback too: I may need to allow for delays in ACP after slews

Thanks again!

Francois

Peter Bresler

I piggyback a SV130 on Planewave 12.5 on my 1200.