Bright light during point mapping

David Johnson

I was doing point mapping using APPM the other night, and it was going along well.  Then a couple of the images had this bright flare across them, although they could be plate solved, but one of them was completely saturated and was unable to be solved.  I was inside watching the process, which still fascinates me, via Remote Desktop, and I was getting ready to go outside to see what was shining down my OTA, but then I realized what the reason was.  It was our overbearing friend, the Moon. Something to keep in mind when you’re point mapping.