Best Time to Change Daylight Savings in Keypad

M Hambrick

This Saturday is the end of daylight savings. The weather is going to be bad this weekend, so I don't have to worry about the time change while I am observing, but this raises a good question when the best time is to change the daylight savings setting in the Keypad from S to W.

Mike

M Hambrick

I should clarify my question to ask if it is OK to change the keypad to standard time before daylight savings ends, or do I need to wait until after we are back on standard time.

Stuart

Mike, from much faded memory, can you set the keypad to get the date from your computer? It will of course update automatically.

The CP control box does if set properly. I “think”.

Stuart

On Fri, Nov 4, 2022 at 1:56 PM M Hambrick <mhambrick563@...> wrote:
I should clarify my question to ask if it is OK to change the keypad to standard time before daylight savings ends, or do I need to wait until after we are back on standard time.

Roland Christen

Changing the time from daylight savings to standard can be done any time. It changes nothing as far as operation of the mount.

I should clarify my question to ask if it is OK to change the keypad to standard time before daylight savings ends, or do I need to wait until after we are back on standard time.

Christopher Erickson

I always set my hand controllers to UT and never worry about DST.

"Always take the high road. There's less traffic."

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory Engineer
Summit Kinetics
Waikoloa, Hawaii

On Fri, Nov 4, 2022 at 9:01 AM Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Changing the time from daylight savings to standard can be done any time. It changes nothing as far as operation of the mount.

I should clarify my question to ask if it is OK to change the keypad to standard time before daylight savings ends, or do I need to wait until after we are back on standard time.

Jack Huerkamp

If you have the hand controller set to UT so that you do not have to mess with the semi-annual change in time, but you connect a program on your computer, like SkyTools, to locate targets, do you have to define your observatory location as being on UT?

Yours truly,

Jack

Jack Huerkamp

Jack's Astro Accessories, LLC

38388 Pine Street

Pearl River, LA 70452-5192

985-445-5063

mallincamusa@...

www.mallincamusa.com

30.37N  89.76W

All of us get lost in the darkness.
Dreamers learn to steer by the stars.

………………………………….Neil Peart

I should clarify my question to ask if it is OK to change the keypad to standard time before daylight savings ends, or do I need to wait until after we are back on standard time.

Jack Huerkamp

Christopher,

Do you set the computer time to UT or set the PC clock to local time and set your astronomy applications to UT?

Jack

Jack Huerkamp

Jack's Astro Accessories, LLC

38388 Pine Street

Pearl River, LA 70452-5192

985-445-5063

mallincamusa@...

www.mallincamusa.com

30.37N  89.76W

All of us get lost in the darkness.
Dreamers learn to steer by the stars.

………………………………….Neil Peart

I should clarify my question to ask if it is OK to change the keypad to standard time before daylight savings ends, or do I need to wait until after we are back on standard time.

Arvind

Quoting this from the keypad manual:

Running everything on UTC is a great way to do things if the laptop is completely dedicated to astronomy endeavors. Some professional astronomers set everything including their lives to UTC. The main thing to remember is that EVERYTHING needs to be set to UTC. Normal commercial software intended for amateurs will often want to default you to a time zone. Once you have everything set up though, it’s awesome.

On Fri, Nov 4, 2022 at 15:29 Jack Huerkamp <Mallincamusa@...> wrote:

Christopher,

Do you set the computer time to UT or set the PC clock to local time and set your astronomy applications to UT?

Jack

Jack Huerkamp

Jack's Astro Accessories, LLC

38388 Pine Street

Pearl River, LA 70452-5192

985-445-5063

mallincamusa@...

www.mallincamusa.com

30.37N  89.76W

All of us get lost in the darkness.
Dreamers learn to steer by the stars.

………………………………….Neil Peart

I should clarify my question to ask if it is OK to change the keypad to standard time before daylight savings ends, or do I need to wait until after we are back on standard time.

Christopher Erickson

EVERYTHING to UTC and TZ 0.

Lat/Lon/Alt are set to local coordinates.

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory engineer
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com