Balancing east heavy? #Mach2GTO

AaronW

New Mach2 owner here.  I have read that it is typically advisable to balance one's mount slightly east heavy (counterweight shaft side) so that the gears are always engaged as they track.  Is this also the case on an encoder mount like the Mach2?

Best,
Aaron

Mike Dodd

On 11/19/2021 10:14 AM, AaronW wrote:
New Mach2 owner here.  I have read that it is typically advisable to balance one's mount slightly east heavy (counterweight shaft side) so that the gears are always engaged as they track.  Is this also the case on an encoder mount like the Mach2?
Probably not. Roland has posted here several times that A-P mounts don't need the east-heavy balance. My AP1200 is balanced neutrally, and it tracks and guides fine.

--- Mike

AaronW

Ok great thank you!

On Fri, Nov 19, 2021 at 7:20 AM Mike Dodd <mike@...> wrote:
On 11/19/2021 10:14 AM, AaronW wrote:
> New Mach2 owner here.  I have read that it is typically advisable to
> balance one's mount slightly east heavy (counterweight shaft side) so
> that the gears are always engaged as they track.  Is this also the case
> on an encoder mount like the Mach2?

Probably not. Roland has posted here several times that A-P mounts don't
need the east-heavy balance. My AP1200 is balanced neutrally, and it
tracks and guides fine.

--- Mike

Mike Dodd

I should add that I've always considered the east-heavy mantra flawed. The idea was that the worm would be "pushing" against the worm wheel teeth. But what happens after a meridian flip? Now the opposite face of the worm wheel teeth are pushing against the worm!

I balanced my old G11 mount neutrally, then wrapped a cord around the RA hub and over a pulley to a suspended weight, to apply an east-heavy bias regardless of which way the scope was pointing.

I don't need this on my non-encoder 1200.

--- Mike

George

Aaron, et al.,

Absolute Encoder mounts should be accurately balanced for best performance. Do not offset the weight.

Regards,

George

George Whitney
Astro-Physics, Inc.
Phone:  815-222-6538 (direct line)
Phone:  815-282-1513 (office)
I should add that I've always considered the east-heavy mantra flawed.
The idea was that the worm would be "pushing" against the worm wheel teeth. But what happens after a meridian flip? Now the opposite face of the worm wheel teeth are pushing against the worm!

I balanced my old G11 mount neutrally, then wrapped a cord around the RA hub and over a pulley to a suspended weight, to apply an east-heavy bias regardless of which way the scope was pointing.

I don't need this on my non-encoder 1200.

--- Mike

>>> I should add that I've always considered the east-heavy mantra flawed.
The idea was that the worm would be "pushing" against the worm wheel
teeth. But what happens after a meridian flip? Now the opposite face of
the worm wheel teeth are pushing against the worm!

In that "mantra" one would have to adjust the counterweight after the flip so it would still bias the weight east.

Back then (like it was a million years ago haha) complete automation wasn't as prevalent or expected, so I think people were more willing to do that.

--
Brian

Brian Valente

Roland Christen

With spring loaded gearboxes you need to balance the axes. Do not unbalance the Mach2 axes.