From: Tom Blahovici <tom.va2fsq@...>
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Fri, Aug 6, 2021 1:52 pm
Subject: [ap-gto] Balance: what happens at Meridian flip?

Hi
I have read that best practice is to have the balance heavier on the counterweight side when imaging to the east. Ok, makes sense.
However what happens at Meridian flip? It's now completely wrong.
Explanation?
Tom

Jeff B

Roland, does that include the older mounts like the 900/1200 and Mach 1?

Jeff

On Fri, Aug 6, 2021 at 3:15 PM Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
For Astro-Physics mounts best practice is to balance. Our mounts have spring loaded worms, so do not need to be unbalanced.

I have read that best practice is to have the balance heavier on the counterweight side when imaging to the east. Ok, makes sense.
However what happens at Meridian flip? It's now completely wrong.
Explanation?
Tom

Yes, even the 900/1200 had spring action in the gearbox mounting. Mach1 also.

I have read that best practice is to have the balance heavier on the counterweight side when imaging to the east. Ok, makes sense.
However what happens at Meridian flip? It's now completely wrong.
Explanation?
Tom

Worsel

Tom

This question comes up over in general imaging forums.  Some 'interesting approaches arise.

See  https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/408507-mount-balance-meridian-flip-and-automation/

Thank you, Roland and A-P, for a more elegant solution!!
"Our mounts have spring loaded worms, so do not need to be unbalanced."

Bryan

Jeff B

👍

On Fri, Aug 6, 2021 at 4:27 PM Worsel via groups.io <bryancashion=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Tom

This question comes up over in general imaging forums.  Some 'interesting approaches arise.

See  https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/408507-mount-balance-meridian-flip-and-automation/

Thank you, Roland and A-P, for a more elegant solution!!
"Our mounts have spring loaded worms, so do not need to be unbalanced."

Bryan

Nick Iversen

But doesn't the manual (for the Mach1) say to balance slightly counterweight heavy?

Roland Christen

The manual might be a bit out of date - something we will have to fix. Balance the axes for best performance.

Roland