Balance helper by amp draw? #Mach2GTO

Micheal Fields Jr

Hi there!

First day owning a AP mount which happens to be the Mach2GTO :)
Up until today my imaging mount was solely a 10Micron.  I bought the Mach2 to put in an observatory because having one premium mount I have been taking it down and transporting it 2 hours every time I want to do some back yard imaging or go out to the clubs star parties.

Now I have two good mounts so I don't have to do that!

Ok so I am used to doing things a different way and I think some things are pretty good ideas.  Two that come to mind first are Balancing and Polar Alignment.

As to Balancing, I am surprised that I don't find some sort of balancing tool in APCC.  Seems simple enough to sample the amp draw in both axis to see which side is heavier and then instruct the user with "scope is camera heavy" or "Scope is counterweight heavy" with some sort of % measurement.   I would have to imagine that the access to that data is there it just would need to be added.  But maybe it simply doesn't matter and balance by hand is more than fine?   You tell me.

The second thing is polar alignment.  I went into the Pointing Model tab in APCC Pro and clicked on the button (blueish color) that says APPM and it did NOT launch point mapper. I had to launch it from the desktop.  Once in there I looked around and it seems to have a lot of great information. But again, nothing that seems to indicate that it can command the mount to do something akin to The Sky X's Precise Polar Alignment where it uses the sky model to determine polar alignment error and asks you to center a star using the physical knobs. Once the star is centered, you are polar aligned.  This has been the way I did polar alignments for the last five years on a few different mounts.    Did I overlook this tool somewhere or is this simply something that nobody wants?

How are you doing polar alignment ?  Are you all using the RAPAS?   Since I am going to be permanent on a pier I only have to do this once.   Just use Sharpcap and move on?

I believe both of these features would be pretty nice to have and wouldn't require further software purchases.

Thanks

Marcelo Figueroa

On Fri, Dec 18, 2020 at 04:58 PM, Micheal Fields Jr wrote:
How are you doing polar alignment ?  Are you all using the RAPAS?   Since I am going to be permanent on a pier I only have to do this once.   Just use Sharpcap and move on?

I use the Polemaster, which I have had for some time, and it works fantastic. In fact the Mach2 comes ready to install.

Other people use Sharcap with fantastic results too. RAPAS I have never used it, but from what I have read it works perfect too.

What is vital for an AP mount is good polar alignment.  Once done, with the Mach2 I never needed a star alignment or anything like that, I just used SGP and slew the mount to a random place in the sky and then a Solve & Sync and that would be all (then you can do the modeling using APPM).

Roland Christen

As to Balancing, I am surprised that I don't find some sort of balancing tool in APCC.  Seems simple enough to sample the amp draw in both axis to see which side is heavier and then instruct the user with "scope is camera heavy" or "Scope is counterweight heavy" with some sort of % measurement.
The Mach2 uses micro-stepper servo motors which do not change current with load. Therefore it is not possible to measure any difference between balanced and unbalanced. Just loosen the clutches and do your balance that way. With clutches loose you can attain very accurate balance manually.

In general, you cannot extrapolate from one manufacturer all functions to another manufacturer.

[...]

Woody Schlom

Micheal,

First off I have a Mach1, not the new Mach2.  But all my comments should apply to the Mach2 also.

  1. Balance technique #1.  Balancing the DEC access of the original Mach1 is a bit tricky as it has no gear/friction release for balancing.  So there was quite a bit of friction even with the clutch released.  But Roland suggested how he did it – using a low-tech fish scale.  And by golly, it works.  I have a new-fangled digital fish scale which works even better.  Basically you release the DEC clutch fully, lay out the CW shaft horizontal, and then attach the hook of the fish scale to the end of the CW shaft and gently tug straight up and read the weight on the scale.  Then reverse direction and gently tug the end of the CW shaft down and note the weight on the scale.  The goal is to get both readings to be the same.  So adjust the weights accordingly.
  2. Balance technique #2.  This uses the electronic technique you described – compare the amp draw in both directions, and adjust the CW until amp draw is the same in both directions.  And for this the handiest solution is to buy one of Powerwerk’s inline volt/amp meters.  It comes with PP connectors on both ends.  So you just plug it in between the mount’s power supply and mount – and with the CQ shaft horizontal, do the same as with the fish scale – except using the mount move controls to move the mount – and adjust the CW until the amp draw is the same in both directions.
  3. I use two methods for PA.  #1  The fast method (which I use 99% of the time) is using the RAPAS and a Polar Alignment APP on my Android phone.  The APP takes the phone’s current time, date, and location and displays an identical RAPAS reticle image on the phone – with a white dot where you’re supposed to put Polaris.  And then you just adjust the Az and DEC mount adjustments until the real Polaris in the RAPAS is in exactly the same place where it is on the phone’s APP.  Done.  With just a little practice you can do it in about a minute.  And it’s plenty accurate enough.
  4. #2 PA method I use.  PemPRO.  This basically is a camera assisted speeded up drift alignment.  It works well, but takes me a whole lot longer than the RAPAS method.  And to be honest, about the only time I use PemPRO for PA is to calibrate and align my RAPAS.

Woody

[...]

Ah, thanks Roland.  I didn’t realize that the “old” amp draw method only works with the original Mach1 – which I have.  Interesting.

Woody

[...]

No but there are still "good ideas" and those good ideas find themselves being used by everyone.

I very rarely use my mount's built in balance utility anyways so it isn't a big deal that there can't be one for the Mach2GTO.  I was just asking if I missed the feature hidden away somewhere.

Micheal Fields Jr

@Woody

I am trying not to buy more stuff than I need.  An RAPAS is great but unless someone gives me one I have no intention of spending $500.00 on something I'll only use one time.

For example I did not buy the hand controller.  The reason I am asking these questions is that I am trying to do this in my back yard just to play around and learn the software before I take it all out and put it up in my observatory 2 hours drive away.   Would be super handy to have a polemaster or RAPAS but it is not something I'll need more than once.

Woody Schlom

Micheal,

Makes sense.  And I agree.  For a permanent installation, PEMPro would be sufficient.  And although I don’t know, it might have come bundled with your new mount.  And if not, a CCD Drift PA procedure is free and “should” only be necessary once or twice a year.  Here in So. Cal. we’ve got these things called earth quakes that can mess up permanent PA every now and then.

Have fun!

Woody

I am trying not to buy more stuff than I need.  An RAPAS is great but unless someone gives me one I have no intention of spending $500.00 on something I'll only use one time.

For example I did not buy the hand controller.  The reason I am asking these questions is that I am trying to do this in my back yard just to play around and learn the software before I take it all out and put it up in my observatory 2 hours drive away.   Would be super handy to have a polemaster or RAPAS but it is not something I'll need more than once.

Bill Long

AP mounts are incredibly easy to balance, easy to use, and easy to forget it is even there.

Did you know: AP mounts can safely be used in the CW up position to image all night without the need for a Meridian flip? The more you know... 🙂

Obviously, you would need to ensure clearance... but the gear supports it nicely both physically and in the software.

No but there are still "good ideas" and those good ideas find themselves being used by everyone.

I very rarely use my mount's built in balance utility anyways so it isn't a big deal that there can't be one for the Mach2GTO.  I was just asking if I missed the feature hidden away somewhere.

Bill Long

Sharpcap works wonderfully. Why not just use that? I use that to Polar Align for unguided imaging all the time. The residual error I get reported in APCC Pro after a sky model run proves out how good it is. No need for a Polemaster and no need for a RAPAS.

I am trying not to buy more stuff than I need.  An RAPAS is great but unless someone gives me one I have no intention of spending $500.00 on something I'll only use one time.

For example I did not buy the hand controller.  The reason I am asking these questions is that I am trying to do this in my back yard just to play around and learn the software before I take it all out and put it up in my observatory 2 hours drive away.   Would be super handy to have a polemaster or RAPAS but it is not something I'll need more than once.

Micheal Fields Jr

Thanks Woody!  I actually own PEMPRO from years back and was part of the beta so I have version 3 on a usb drive somewhere.  The issue is my camera, the qhy600, takes huge photos and slow download times so it is frustrating with any of these pieces of software that like to take faster exposures. What I could do, just to be done with it, is to install a camera like my ASI294 for the polar alignment and then switch back to my main camera when I am done.

On Sat, Dec 19, 2020 at 12:19 PM, Woody Schlom wrote:

[...]

Because I was having issues with ASTAP doing the plate solve with sharpcap which is necessary for it to work.  I tried for over an hour with different settings and it continues to say that it can't solve. The one time I got it to solve I had to expose for 20 seconds and it told me to raise the altitude by quite a bit.  So I ran out there and cranked the knob to raise it up, re-did it. Fought another hour to get it to finally plate solve and then it told me I had barely made any difference.  Not the mount's fault of course but a combination of frustrating combinations of software and cameras.  At that point I gave up and moved on to another idea.

On Sat, Dec 19, 2020 at 01:11 PM, Bill Long wrote:
Sharpcap works wonderfully. Why not just use that? I use that to Polar Align for unguided imaging all the time. The residual error I get reported in APCC Pro after a sky model run proves out how good it is. No need for a Polemaster and no need for a RAPAS.

I am trying not to buy more stuff than I need.  An RAPAS is great but unless someone gives me one I have no intention of spending $500.00 on something I'll only use one time.

For example I did not buy the hand controller.  The reason I am asking these questions is that I am trying to do this in my back yard just to play around and learn the software before I take it all out and put it up in my observatory 2 hours drive away.   Would be super handy to have a polemaster or RAPAS but it is not something I'll need more than once.

Woody Schlom

Micheal,

Or use a guide camera.  My Lodestar X2 works well for this purpose.

Woody