From: M Hambrick <mhambrick563@...>
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Sun, Mar 20, 2022 7:48 am
Subject: [ap-gto] Availability of Absolute Encoders for Mount Upgrades

I suppose that today could technically be called late Winter or Spring. Is there any update on when there may be some Renishaw encoders available for those on the waiting list to purchase them ? The A-P web site mentions that they would be available in late Winter or Spring, 2022.

Mike

mjb87@...

Thanks, Roland. Let's hope we can get through the rest of the pandemic quickly.

Quick question... My 1100GTO is about five years old. Assuming I can get the absolute encoders at all, the mount will probably be closer to 6-8 years in age when I they arrive.  At that stage, would it just make sense to send the mount back to AP for a complete overhaul and installation of the encoders?

Marty

Roland Christen

That's up to you. Installation is not difficult, but our labor rates are Stuck out tongue closed eyes

Thanks, Roland. Let's hope we can get through the rest of the pandemic quickly.

Quick question... My 1100GTO is about five years old. Assuming I can get the absolute encoders at all, the mount will probably be closer to 6-8 years in age when I they arrive.  At that stage, would it just make sense to send the mount back to AP for a complete overhaul and installation of the encoders?

Marty

M Hambrick

Hopefully, the situation in the UK will get better soon. I think it was just last week that the Prime Minister Boris Johnson announced that they were ending a lot of their COVID restrictions. I think a lot of countries are starting to figure out that vaccines and masks are not making much of a difference with the Omicron variant. We've still got a long way to go though.

Mike

Roland Christen

In the case of Renishaw, there are no Covid restrictions that are affecting their encoder shipments. It is the world-wide unavailability of computer chips that has their production stymied. Same problem that car manufacturers the world over are facing (and us lowly mount makers).