Automation software sent Rcal while parking...mount stopped.

Russ Durkee

All,
Running APCC on an AP1600 with CP4.  While running Voyager last night I observed something interesting.  I was testing my shutdown procedure for cloudy weather to verify it works properly.  So the weather station sees clouds and my software (Voyager) notices and issues a park command.  But it happens when an image is being plate solved.  As the mount is parking the plate is solved and the software sends what I assume is an Rcal to the mount.  The mount reports the Rcal is too far from the reported position.  The mount stops and parks in position...half way from where it was and its intended park position.   If I issue another park command manually at that point the mount parks fine.

These sort of things are always hard to diagnose as

So...  I would think once the mount gets a park command it would no longer accept Rcals.  Is this what is happening?  Is there a setting I missed in either the driver or APCC to prevent this?  For example, if I uncheck prevent errant ReCals will i create more problems for myself or will the mount park correctly.?  I assume if I do uncheck "prevent errant ReCals" the next time the mount starts it may be lost.

Thanks for your help!

Regards,

Russ

Tom Blahovici

It would seem to me that Voyager is instructing the mount to go to the park position as you have observed. It has not issued an abort to the plate solving routine first.
Normally when you want to stop an action in Voyager, you press the halt button and then Voyager attempts to abort the current operation. This appears to not happen.
Did you contact Voyager support about this? Perhaps a dragstrip would be the best way to handle this. So when clouds roll in, you first issue and abort and then a park. Looks like the abort action if there is one is missing.
Tom

Bill Long

This is probably something worth mentioning to Leo via a support request.

Regardless of that, you can disable sync/rcal in Voyager entirely:

Just check the box for "Not Sync Mount on solved point...."

[...]

Ray Gralak

Russ,

There are safeguards in the AP V2 driver and APCC that prevent RECALs at inappropriate times, but it sounds like the ASCOM client application (Volager) may have stopped tracking in the middle of the park operation. Unchecking "prevent errant recalls" would not have helped.

-Ray

[...]

This was running as a dragscript.  I did contact Leo to ask how this would be handled and he stated the camera driver does not accept an abort request when it is taking an image.  But I wonder why it does not at least abort the plate solve and recal.  It does not work for me to have voyager not do recals as I need that for pointing at moving asteroids all through the night.  The action that was underway in voyager was an image and sync operation. Why it did not abort the platesolve and sync I do not know.  I think it was Voyager that noticed the error but I am still not sure what caused the mount to abort the park.

Regards,

Russ

Tom Blahovici

I have aborted many image acquisitions by clicking on the abort button in the on the fly section. Granted a plate solve may continue but I highly doubt that the plate solve is the process that does the recal. For example if you use the skyx for a plate solve you must manually select the recal in the skyx if Voyager is not running. If you look at the Voyager log you should be able to find out exactly what is happening.
Tom