Auto Focus with AP Quick Release Guider Bracket #Guiding

Andrew J

Does anyone know of a Guide Scope with Crayford style focuser or something similar that will take an Optec FT Focus Motor and still work with the AP Quick Release Guider Bracket Kit (S1060QRGB)? I am currently using the Baader 10 x 60 Vario-Finder Scope that came with the kit (1060VGKIT), but find it kind of pain to focus. Plus I would like the option to be able to focus the guide scope remotely. Focusing the guide scope is still the one of the only reasons I have to go out to the observatory. Everything else I can run remotely.

The problem I foresee is that because of the locking guide ring on the AP QRG Bracket, I am not sure if this is even possible to use it with an auto focuser without leaving the guide ring loose, which would decrease the rigidity of the bracket. I would be interested if anyone has found a creative solution that would allow for the use of an auto guider, while maintaining the rigidity of the Quick Release Guider Bracket.

Grateful for the info.

Andrew J

Woody Schlom

Andrew,

Once focused and locked down, I don’t think you should need to re-focus the 10 x 60 Vario.  At least not for guiding.

Woody

[...]

Roland Christen

I have never heard of anyone having to focus the Vario-Finder for guiding. It is important for the guide scope to be very rigid and have essentially zero flex. Much more important than to have perfect focus.

[...]

Donald Gaines

Hi Andrew,

I received an 1100GTO recently along with the Astro-Physics 1060VGKIT .  I agree once focused there is little need to refocus other than occasionally. I purchased a ZWO 1.25” Non-Rotating Heliacal focuser for ease of focus.  I would defer to everyone else’s judgment though because my system is not operational yet.

Thanks,
Don Gaines

On Wednesday, March 16, 2022, Andrew J <andjones132@...> wrote:

[...]

I agree I don't need to focus the Baader Vario Finder every session, but if the temperature changes by 10 - 20 degrees F, then I do find I need to refocus. In Texas the temperatures can vary pretty significantly in the Winter months. I get close to focus by moving the camera and then use the Lens Locking Ring to fine tuning focus. I was just thinking it would be nice to have a Crayford style focuser for the Guide Scope

Worsel

Andrew

Could you DIY one of these focusers to your 10x60?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/194920708573

Bryan

Roland Christen

You really don't want to introduce any kind of slop. Once you do that you are finished. I would rather have a slightly defocused star than one that moves with gravity.

Could you DIY one of these focusers to your 10x60?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/194920708573

Bryan

Andrew J

HI Roland/All.

Thank you for your instructional feedback. It think i will just stick with the manual focus process in favor of preserving the rigidity of the guide scope using the QRG Bracket. I will try and find a night where the temperature is somewhere in the middle of the typical temperature ranges we see here in Texas during the winter months and focus the guide scope at that temperature. Hopefully that will eliminate the need to refocus based on temperature changes. I typically take down my imaging rig during the summer months as I don't like leaving my telescope out in the observatory during the summer months when the temperature inside the dome can reach 120 degrees F. I do have a portable AC unit that typically keeps the temps below 100, but even then I don't think it is good for the electronics or the optics to experience daily 20 - 30 degree temperature changes over a relatively short period of time during the summer months.

Clear Skies,

Andrew