From: Eric Weiner <weinere@...>
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Tue, Oct 12, 2021 1:04 pm
Subject: [ap-gto] aurora borealis over Clear Alaska

Taken with just a cell phone, but thought I’d share. I’m currently doing some work on the Long Range Discriminating Radar (LRDR) up on Clear Space Force Station in Alaska. The weather cooperated last night to allow what the locals are calling one of the best aurora borealis light shows they’ve seen in years. The activity averaged around 5-6, and spiked to 9 at times. It was really spectacular. The photo with the bright lights at the bottom is the aurora over the LRDR facility. Those metal structures are 120’ tall.
Enjoy,
Eric

thefamily90 Phillips

Amazing

hey, very cool! Glad to see some solar activity again. Haven't seen the sun in a long long time (in a scope of course).

Taken with just a cell phone, but thought I’d share. I’m currently doing some work on the Long Range Discriminating Radar (LRDR) up on Clear Space Force Station in Alaska. The weather cooperated last night to allow what the locals are calling one of the best aurora borealis light shows they’ve seen in years. The activity averaged around 5-6, and spiked to 9 at times. It was really spectacular. The photo with the bright lights at the bottom is the aurora over the LRDR facility. Those metal structures are 120’ tall.
Enjoy,
Eric

Luca Marinelli

That’s so cool! Seeing an aurora light show is on my bucket list.

Thanks for sharing, Eric!

Luca

Taken with just a cell phone, but thought I’d share. I’m currently doing some work on the Long Range Discriminating Radar (LRDR) up on Clear Space Force Station in Alaska. The weather cooperated last night to allow what the locals are calling one of the best aurora borealis light shows they’ve seen in years. The activity averaged around 5-6, and spiked to 9 at times. It was really spectacular. The photo with the bright lights at the bottom is the aurora over the LRDR facility. Those metal structures are 120’ tall.

Enjoy,
Eric

Robert Berta

Nice photo of Northern Lights. Here in Michigan we do get some nice Aurora photos also. With the increase in solar activity I have been enjoying doing day time Ha imaging....best of it is....no mosquitoes!  This was taken through my 80mm refractor using a Day Star Quark Ha Chromosphere version. The capture was with Sharp Cap for 2000 frames which were than aligned and combined in Auto Stakkert and than output into PS for tweaking and colorizing. Camera is a Player Once Neptune mono camera. While I have a AP 900 and 1100 mount, the exposures are so short that you don't need more than a simple tracking unguided mount. In this case it was an Ioptron Mini Tower Pro (ALT/AZ). I am primarily a night time astrophotographer but here in Michigan we have a lot more clear sunny days than good clear nights ;-(  It also gives me more hours in the day to image.