From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of danrprice.ap@...
Sent: Saturday, March 26, 2022 7:55 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: [ap-gto] APPM with Dome and offset Mach2GTO #Mach2GTO #ASCOM_V2_Driver #APCC

I'll apologize in advance for my ignorance. Hoping someone has had experience with APPM in a Dome with the
telescope mount offset by several feet from the center. In my case it is a 15 foot Pro Dome and a Mach2GTO. In
the center of the observatory is a 25" Alt/Az telescope, which is why the Mach2GTO has been placed 4 feet 9
inches directly true north of the observatory's center. The walls of the observatory are 4 feet high, and very closely
match the height of the Mach2GTO EAGLE6 Pier. When I run The Sky Universal software with the offset info the
dome shutter lines up with the Mach2GTO quite well no matter where I slew the mount, but when I attempt to run
the APPM with the same offset info the shutter is often a few feet off. So far, my only option has been to manually
position the shutter during a small (10 points ) APPM run. If I could position the Dome with The Sky Universal
while running APPM then that would be one solution, but both APPM and The Sky Universal demand control of
the AP V2 Driver and I haven't been able to puzzle out a workaround (is there one?). I've tried selecting and
configuring Device Hub Dome and Digital Dome Works with APPM but they just don't position the dome correctly
(sometimes several feet of error). The Sky Universal seems to work just fine, so I believe I know how to enter the
offset correctly. I've tried changing the time offset from GMT, the sign of the time offset from GMT, the sign of the
Longitude, the sign of the N/S offset, the units of the offset, and the offset of the telescope (Takahashi FSQ-
106edx III) from the intersection of the RA/Dec rotation axes, all without success. I'm new at this, so will not be
surprised if I've missed something obvious. Thanks! Clear Skies / Dan Price

Dan R Price

Thank you, Ray!

   After reading your explanation that the AP V2 ASCOM driver is a hub, I realized I was using the same virtual port for both APPM and TheSkyX.  Changed the virtual port for TheSkyX and set the APPM's dome setting to "passive" mode.  Had to extend the settling time to about 20 seconds to make certain TheSkyX will complete the dome move before APPM takes an image.  Also followed your suggestion and set the "Point Ordering Strategy" on APPM's Measurement Points tab to use "Hour Angle (for Dome Setups)" .    Put APPM in test mode with TheSkyX controlling the dome and it seems to be working quite well.  Wonderful!  Again, thank you!

Clear Skies,
Dan Price

On 3/27/2022 7:40 AM, Ray Gralak wrote:
Hi Dan,

The AP V2 ASCOM driver is a hub, so both APPM and SkyX can connect through it simultaneously.

That said, will SkyX slew the dome correctly if another application (like APPM) slews the mount? If so, then you should configure APPM's dome settings to "passive" mode.

BTW, to minimize Dome movements, you can also try setting the "Point Ordering Strategy" on APPM's Measurement Points tab to use "Hour Angle (for Dome Setups)".

-Ray