APPM with ASI6200 and TSX Imagelink - bogus image data

ap@CaptivePhotons.com

I'm confused.  I have an ASI6200MM.  I have the latest ASCOM drivers installed.  I realize APPM is 32 bit and so struggles, so I have it set to bin 2, subframe 1/2x1/2 center.  If I don't use a subframe and bin 3 (the max it allows) I get an Expose Failed.  With bin 2 and 1/2x1/2 it exposes, but...

The resulting exposure has DN's of 32767.  Every pixel is 32767, min, max, etc.   So it's clearly bogus.  Is there any magic I may be missing?  See ASCOM settings below (there's no native driver I think).  Note I've tried USB 40 and 100 (100 works fine with other programs).

I'm finding the image in c:\users\ferguson\documents\Astro-Physics\APPM, and I've viewed it in Pixinsight to double check.  I've done it both on "run" and "platesolve" now.

I connected the same way to the camera feature in TSX with the same driver and got an image.

What am I missing?

Should I be using the TSX Camera from APPM?   I think I can do that (and yes, just tried, I get an image).  Is that the proper way?

But should it work as set up below?   I was trying to avoid TSX's camera just because one less thing but lacking another solution will try that next time.

Linwood

PS. Log segment below it, no error from the exposure.

0000006 2021-08-01 16:41:04.066:       Info,  Connect Driver, AP V2 Driver Version: 5.30.0010, Result: OK
0000007 2021-08-01 16:41:06.001:       Info,  Connect Camera, ASCOM Camera ASCOM.ASICamera2.Camera: 6.5.19.1, Result: OK
0000008 2021-08-01 16:42:27.498:       Info,   State Machine, Entering State=StartPlateSolveNow
0000009 2021-08-01 16:42:27.582:       Info,   State Machine, StartPlateSolveNow via SkyXPro ImageLink: Starting Exposure=2
0000010 2021-08-01 16:42:27.601:       Info,  StartTakeImage, ASCOM Camera: Binning=2, Subframe Type: 1, Duration=2, IsDarkFrame=False
0000011 2021-08-01 16:42:28.319:       Info,   State Machine, Entering State=WaitPlateSolveNow
0000012 2021-08-01 16:42:31.099:       Info,   State Machine, WaitPlateSolveNow: Exposure Done. Saving to: C:\Users\ferguson\Documents\Astro-Physics\APPM\SolveNow-2021-08-01-164231.fit

Ray Gralak

Hi Linwood,

APPM just displays whatever is provided to it via the ASI ASCOM driver.

Have you tried using APPM with the ASCOM Camera V2 Simulator? You can supply a jpeg image to be displayed. Then in APPM issue a Plate Solve to test the output. The goal of this is just to see if APPM can properly display an image from the baseline Camera V2 Simulator. If it can, the problem you are seeing is likely with the camera settings, the ASI camera driver, or some hardware issue.

Here’s a screenshot with the “flow” to setup to test APPM:

-Ray

[...]

Bill Long

I use my cameras via TSX to do APPM models since I use TSX for image link solving for APPM anyhow. I've never used the ASCOM Camera option.

[...]

Thanks Ray, but I remain confused.

I did exactly that with TSX, set up the camera simulator after saving a M31 image from last night resampled to a third size to stay under the limit.  It worked fine, I can “take” an image with TSX.  I did an all sky image link against that simulated image and it found it, and had the right image scale (4.2).  No issues.

I disconnected the simulated camera from TSX (leaving it running for imagelink), opened APPM and added the simulated camera in the same way, the settings were already there (but I checked).   It then won’t actually expose, saying that 3192, which is the image width, is invalid for “StartExposureNumX” whatever that is (second screen shot below).  I also tried doing a “run” just to see, and got the same result on the first point then stopped it.

But do you see anything I am doing wrong?  How can TSX work, but APPM not, if it’s all just the ascom driver?   I turned on ascom logging and did it in both APPM and TSX and the separate logs are attached, if it gives a clue.

I guess the simple thing is to do it all through TSX until I can do it through NINA.  Then I can use native drivers.

Mostly was curious if any other users actually had made the ASI6200MM work.  I’m sure struggling now that I’ve entered the 32 bit world.  😊

Linwood

PS. I just saw Bill’s note, he does it through the TSX camera also.

Bill Long

I'll try ASCOM Camera out later this evening as I'll be touching up my PA and running a new model on my Mach 2 / AGO 12.5 combo after pulling the cover off and waking it up from it's slumber during the last 36 hours of cloud cover.

[...]

Please close down SkyX *completely* so that it will not interfere. Despite what others have said, not all ASCOM camera drivers work when there are two applications connected. (As far as I know, SkyX may not have disconnected!)

It would not hurt to restart APPM as well to make sure it has freed any possible previous instance of the ASCOM Camera V2 Simulator.

Then restart only using APPM. Again, do not start SkyX or any other application that might connect to the ASCOM Camera V2 Simulator. The purpose of this test is to see if APPM returns only two values (e.g. 0 and 32767) like you mentioned in a previous post.

-Ray

@Ray Gralak wrote:

  • Please close down SkyX *completely* so that it will not interfere. Despite what others have said, not all ASCOM camera drivers work when there are two applications connected. (As far as I know, SkyX may not have disconnected!)

  • It would not hurt to restart APPM as well to make sure it has freed any possible previous instance of the ASCOM Camera V2 Simulator.

  • Then restart only using APPM. Again, do not start SkyX or any other application that might connect to the ASCOM Camera V2 Simulator. The purpose of this test is to see if APPM returns only two values (e.g. 0 and 32767) like you mentioned in a previous post.

OK, I closed everything, opened APCC, connected, then APPM.

I went through the settings of the camera (they were all correct), and connected.

I hit plate solve.  It opened TSX itself, then gave the same error.  TSX wasn’t connected to anything though, it was open for imagelink.

If you care to try it, attached is the test image, and these were the settings.

I do have a workaround by using TSX’s camera instead.

Note that APPM didn’t return two values in my case, it returned one value – just 32767 as the min and max both. Very weird.  But it is worth noting that things are not the same with the simulator – I was using subframes because I had to, as well as binning.  I can’t actually simulate that with the simulator as it is limited in geometry.

I’m really curious what Bill has happen with an actual camera.

Linwood

Ray Gralak

I hit plate solve. It opened TSX itself, then gave the same error. TSX wasn’t connected to anything though, it was
open for imagelink.
You can easily prevent SkyX from starting by changing the platesolver to PinPoint.

Please try again and set the attached image to the image in the Camera V2 Simulator.

BTW, you're connected directly to the computer, right? (Not using a remote desktop application)

-Ray

[...]

As a minor update, I had a bit of time before my target was high enough after I got all the other setup done so...

I set up TSX, Image link and APPM so that APPM used TSX's Camera, which used my ASI6200 binned 2. It might do bin 1 but pointless.

It's running nicely, I was doing only 37 points and it's on 18 and has not missed a single one.

And it's using the same ASI ASCOM camera driver.

So I have a workable system, at least until I sell my MyT.

I still don't know what is wrong the other way, but this works fine, if a bit round-about..

22 successful and counting....

Linwood

Ray Gralak

I'm glad it's working!

It's too bad you couldn't get around to proving APPM's ASCOM interface also works with the ASCOM Camera Simulator, as I know it does. Here's a screenshot as proof:  J

-Ray

ap@CaptivePhotons.com

Ray said:

  • It's too bad you couldn't get around to proving APPM's ASCOM interface also works with the ASCOM Camera Simulator, as I know it does. Here's a screenshot as proof:  J

I will.  I probably could have done it instead of an APPM model, but I really wanted to see that work.  I’m now imaging, so tomorrow in daylight I can try the ascom simulator.  Though the simulator is not all that interesting, what I really wonder is why the real camera won’t work.  It clearly does with TSX.  I probably am setting something up wrongly, I realize, but struggling to find what is different than using it on TSX.

Linwood

Bill Long

ASCOM Camera just throws the same errors he mentioned when used directly. The SIM might work but a real camera doesn't seem to.

It's too bad you couldn't get around to proving APPM's ASCOM interface also works with the ASCOM Camera Simulator, as I know it does. Here's a screenshot as proof:  J

-Ray

Bill Long

Post your model tab data. Curious to see your results.

@Bill Long wrote:

  • Post your model tab data. Curious to see your results.

Sure.  This is with an NP101is still s, short and light and shouldn’t have much flex, but this was only 37 points, just to see if I could get it to build.

Not sure if you mean this:

Or this?

Bill Long

For the first, check those boxes that say to exclude points past a certain error amount. I set those to 10 but 20 is usually fine. The key thing is that you have outliers if you look at the plot and that's the easiest way to take them out.

For the second, looks good. Plenty within the models capability to correct PA error. Check correct for refraction as well.

  • Post your model tab data. Curious to see your results.

Sure.  This is with an NP101is still s, short and light and shouldn’t have much flex, but this was only 37 points, just to see if I could get it to build.

Not sure if you mean this:

Or this?

Ray Gralak

ASCOM Camera just throws the same errors he mentioned when used directly.
The SIM might work but a real camera doesn't seem to.
Yes, I believe that.

The point was that it's the ASI ASCOM Driver that's the issue, not APPM. APPM acts the same way for all ASCOM cameras.

-Ray

________________________________

[...]

Okay but I tested it with an FLI camera and its ASCOM driver. 🙁

> ASCOM Camera just throws the same errors he mentioned when used directly.
> The SIM might work but a real camera doesn't seem to.

Yes, I believe that.

The point was that it's the ASI ASCOM Driver that's the issue, not APPM. APPM acts the same way for all ASCOM cameras.

-Ray

Ray Gralak

Okay but I tested it with an FLI camera and its ASCOM driver. 🙁
I'm not sure what you are trying to say, but all ASCOM drivers are supposed to work the same. Was the FLI ASCOM driver you used officially developed by FLI?

There is no special code in an ASCOM Client application like APPM that treats one ASCOM Camera driver differently from another. The same actions are applied by a client application, with the main difference being the width and height of the image array. So, if one ASCOM camera driver works but another doesn't, then it's likely something is wrong with the ASCOM driver that doesn't work.

-Ray

[...]

Yes it was. Not sure why that matters.

I think there is a legit problem with APPM working with ASCOM Camera. In fact, I tried 3 other cameras and it doesnt work at all. Cant get an image from the camera at all.

> Okay but I tested it with an FLI camera and its ASCOM driver. 🙁

I'm not sure what you are trying to say, but all ASCOM drivers are supposed to work the same. Was the FLI ASCOM driver you used officially developed by FLI?

There is no special code in an ASCOM Client application like APPM that treats one ASCOM Camera driver differently from another. The same actions are applied by a client application, with the main difference being the width and height of the image array. So, if one ASCOM camera driver works but another doesn't, then it's likely something is wrong with the ASCOM driver that doesn't work.

-Ray

Ray Gralak

Hi Bill,

I'm not sure what you are trying to say, but all ASCOM drivers are supposed to work the same. Was the FLI
ASCOM driver you used officially developed by FLI?
Yes it was.
Were you using a Kepler camera? There is no official FLI ASCOM Camera driver except for Kepler cameras:

https://www.flicamera.com/software/index.html

Not sure why that matters.
It matters because many of the ASCOM drivers have been written by amateur software developers, using a language, libraries, and development environment with which they are inexperienced. The result is that their drivers may work to some extent but are not 100% compatible with the ASCOM specification.

I think there is a legit problem with APPM working with ASCOM Camera. In fact, I tried 3 other cameras and it
doesnt work at all. Cant get an image from the camera at all.
If APPM doesn't work with ASCOM cameras, then it shouIdn't work with the ASCOM Camera Simulator either (but it does). The point of the ASCOM Camera simulator is to be a reference driver so developers don't have to buy and test every single camera.

A few months ago I purchased an ASI294MM specifically for the purpose of debugging the "out of memory" problem with the ASI Camera driver. I am able to get images with that camera as long as they are not full frame images. And that is because of how inefficiently the ASI ASCOM driver uses memory (almost 1GB of memory for a single 46MP monochrome image!).

-Ray