APPM Model when changing camera

S Berrada

Hi,

I just installed a CDK12.5 on an AP1100.
i am wondering whether the APPM pointing model would need to be done for each camera that I use ?   The camera connection is quite rigid (ONAG) but of course the sensor and pixel  sizes are different for each

i appreciate your help

Thanks
Sam

Marcelo Figueroa

I have used the same model with both an ASI 1600 and an ASI 294 with an Esprit 100 and it works perfect. Of course, the sensor size is almost the same, as well as its weight, so you could say that in this case it is almost the same camera.

I guess if the change is significant, there may be some problems.

S Berrada

Hi Marcelo,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience.
You are likely right that changing the camera weight could have an effect.

Assuming that the camera weight is about the same, and the connection also, I am thinking ( but not certain) that changing sensor size and pixel size should not change the model because it is based on movements in arc seconds?

Any further thoughts or experience from any other users would be appreciated

Cheers
Sam

S Berrada

Mr Gralak,

I would appreciate any experience or thoughts about using the same pointing model when the camera is changed on the same scope .
I realize that ideally one would want to redo the pointing model, but I wonder what the theory would say if the only thing that changes is sensor size and pixel size (assume camera - scope connections are equally rigid).

thank you
Sam

Ray Gralak

Hi Sam,

You could do a short APPM run of 10-20 points with the verify option enabled in APPM. This will indicate how well the other camera works with the other camera's model. There shouldn't be much difference if the cameras weigh about the same and the telescope's position in the rings is not moved.

-Ray

I would appreciate any experience or thoughts about using the same pointing model when the camera is changed
on the same scope .
I realize that ideally one would want to redo the pointing model, but I wonder what the theory would say if the only
thing that changes is sensor size and pixel size (assume camera - scope connections are equally rigid).

thank you
Sam

S Berrada

Thank you very much Ray