Topics

APPM has me stumped

Worsel

I have been trying to use APPC-Pro, APPM, and SGP to build a tracking and pointing model for the 1100 GT.

I have re-run PEMPro and loaded the resultant PE curve.

When I run Plate Solve within SGP, everything works as expected...an image is captured with visible stars and a solution is found within a few seconds.

Connecting APPM and running Plate Solve from there via SGP results in an aborted solve with various errors

1. Maximum solve time exceeded.  It is 180 seconds.  In SGP, solves takes less than 10 seconds.
2. Unable to read FITS file. BitPlx = 32 not supported

Logs for APPM and SGP are attached.  Please let me know if I can try other runs and provide the logs

Bryan

Ray Gralak

Bryan,

Did you set the image scale in SGPro on the plate solving tab? If you don't then the plate solves will fail.

-Ray Gralak

I have been trying to use APPC-Pro, APPM, and SGP to build a tracking and pointing model for the 1100 GT.

I have re-run PEMPro and loaded the resultant PE curve.

When I run Plate Solve within SGP, everything works as expected...an image is captured with visible stars and a
solution is found within a few seconds.

Connecting APPM and running Plate Solve from there via SGP results in an aborted solve with various errors

1. Maximum solve time exceeded. It is 180 seconds. In SGP, solves takes less than 10 seconds.
2. Unable to read FITS file. BitPlx = 32 not supported

Logs for APPM and SGP are attached. Please let me know if I can try other runs and provide the logs

Bryan

Worsel

Ray

I DID set i.s. on the Camera Tab in the Control Panel.  There is no field for i.s. on the Plate Solving tab in the CP.  If there is another tab that I should be using, then let me know.

Bryan

Ray Gralak

Yes, it may be on the camera tab.

Do you see PlateSolve2 come up? If not you do not have the configuration setup correctly. Also, make sure SGPro is connected to your AP mount as well as APPM.

-Ray Gralak

I DID set i.s. on the Camera Tab in the Control Panel. There is no field for i.s. on the Plate Solving tab in the CP. If
there is another tab that I should be using, then let me know.

Bryan

Ray Gralak

2. Unable to read FITS file. BitPlx = 32 not supported
That's 32-bit floating format, which from your comment indicates SGPro doesn't support. Try turning dark subtract off.

I'll ask Jared and Ken why they don't support all standard FITS formats. That's a limitation of SGPro, not APPM. The other platesolvers (PinPoint and SkyX) support 32-bit floating.

-Ray Gralak

I have been trying to use APPC-Pro, APPM, and SGP to build a tracking and pointing model for the 1100 GT.

I have re-run PEMPro and loaded the resultant PE curve.

When I run Plate Solve within SGP, everything works as expected...an image is captured with visible stars and a
solution is found within a few seconds.

Connecting APPM and running Plate Solve from there via SGP results in an aborted solve with various errors

1. Maximum solve time exceeded. It is 180 seconds. In SGP, solves takes less than 10 seconds.
2. Unable to read FITS file. BitPlx = 32 not supported

Logs for APPM and SGP are attached. Please let me know if I can try other runs and provide the logs

Bryan

Worsel

Here are my observations

SGP is connected to the camera and the mount.  APPM is connected to the camera and the mount.

PlateSolve works correctly from SGPro.  SGP opens an image with visible stars, followed by it's working box, and finally a solution box.  I conclude from this that SGP is properly set up for solving within SGP.

When doing solves from APPM, there are two approaches...one is a single solve by clicking the Plate Solve button, the second is to start a model run by clicking Start

When I click Plate Solve to solve a single image, it fails after Maximum time exceeded.  An image is opened in APPM- Camera View
A FITS file with a name starting SolveNow-yyyy-mm-dd-hhhhmmmsss is generated.  I cannot solve it when selecting it in Image Link Test. There is no RA/Dec data in the header.

When I click Run to start a model build, APPM takes much longer than SGP, but eventually opens an image in APPM - Camera View...no image appears in SGP.  The image is a FITS file with a name starting Image-APPM-yyyy-mm-dd-hhhhmmmsss-RA-Dec.  It Fails at Maximum time exceeded accompanied by "Unable to read FITS file. BitPlx = 32 not supported"  HOWEVER, I can solve this by selecting it in Image Link Test.  The RA and Dec are in the file name and the header.

I conclude from the above that APPM and SGP are not adequately communicating...I do not know where the loss occurs.

Bryan

Marcelo Figueroa

I've got a related question. Lately I am using ASTAP as Platesolver in SGP, as it works better than Platesolve2.

Does APPM work well if I use ASTAP as Platesolver within SGP, instead of the traditional Platesolve 2?

 (I'm assuming everything is set up correctly).

Thank you,

PS: At the moment I don't have APPM, I'm just preparing for the arrival of the Mach2.

Worsel

Marcelo

Sometimes serendipity is a wonderful thing.

I installed ASTAP and now everything workfs fine with APPM...AND faster.

I know it is not much help to you, but THANKS!

Bryan

Worsel

Ray

Dark subtract is already off. Thanks for the idea, however.

Bryan

Dale Ghent

ASTAP is a great solver and its author, Han Kleijn, is also a great person to work with. When we first integrated ASTAP support into NINA early last year, we were amazed at how many lost minutes were regained during our sessions by using it. Centering and reslewing and meridian flips became a blip of a few lost moments instead of painfully-slow minutes of light frame time lost to other solvers. It's also a great standalone solving app, and stacker if one is looking for a standalone tool that does just that. And if all else fails, it's a good blind solver.

I highly suggest people hit the donate button on his site if they really grow to like using it because the man produces his apps out of a labor of love.

On Feb 5, 2020, at 3:00 AM, Worsel via Groups.Io <bryancashion=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Marcelo

Sometimes serendipity is a wonderful thing.

I installed ASTAP and now everything workfs fine with APPM...AND faster.

I know it is not much help to you, but THANKS!

Bryan

Ray Gralak

Bryan,

I conclude from the above that APPM and SGP are not adequately communicating...I do not know where the loss
occurs.
The logs show they are communicating. The problem is the 32-bit floating FITS image. Actually it is not SGPro, but PlateSolve2 that doesn't support that format. Why the image is not 16-bit integer is a puzzle because the only time APPM might alter the file created by SGPro is if APPM needs to do a dark subtraction, which you said is not enabled.

-Ray Gralak

[...]

Excellent!

And that indicates that APPM is communicating correctly with SGPro as APPM doesn't know or care about which plate solver SGPro is using.

However, it's still a puzzle about how/why a 32-bit image was created in the first place. Which camera were you using and were you letting SGPro take the image, or using the ASCOM camera interface in APPM?

-Ray Gralak