APPM fail to connect camera

legendtrail@...

Got this fail to connect camera message last night in APPM. Camera opens fine running
Maxim direct. Any ideas? Camera is ASI6200mm.

Ray Gralak

Got this fail to connect camera message last night in APPM. Camera opens fine running
Maxim direct. Any ideas? Camera is ASI6200mm.
The error is coming from the camera control application. Which camera control are you using? MaximDL?

-Ray

legendtrail@...

MaximDL, yes.

Ray Gralak

MaximDL, yes.
Are you sure you have MaximDL selected as the camera in APPM? After looking at the APPM source code the message in your log snippet should say include MaximDL in the message.

If you continue to receive the message try rebooting the computer and power cycling the camera. This could also be an intermittent USB issue, so reseat the USB cable in the PC and camera, and try a new cable if the error persists.

-Ray

legendtrail@...

Thanks Ray. Yes I had rebooted and cycled the camera with no change. I then swapped cables with the guide camera and got no change.
This morning, I set up on the bench and everything is working just fine. I really don't like intermittent problems. We're in monsoon season
here so I don't know when I'll get out again, but if it repeats I'll let you know.

Steve Reilly

Same computer or a different one?

-Steve

Thanks Ray. Yes I had rebooted and cycled the camera with no change. I then swapped cables with the guide camera and got no change.
This morning, I set up on the bench and everything is working just fine. I really don't like intermittent problems. We're in monsoon season
here so I don't know when I'll get out again, but if it repeats I'll let you know.

legendtrail@...

Same - a Windows 11 Dell laptop.

Ray Gralak

Thanks Ray. Yes I had rebooted and cycled the camera with no change. I then swapped cables with the guide
camera and got no change.
This morning, I set up on the bench and everything is working just fine. I really don't like intermittent problems.
We're in monsoon season
here so I don't know when I'll get out again, but if it repeats I'll let you know.
Unfortunately, if you have intermittent camera errors like what you described it is not likely an APPM software issue. Even though you said you tried a different USB cable, you might want to try a different brand of cable. Go for the highest quality, shortest cable that would work in your setup.

-Ray

Dan R Price

Could it be an intermittent problem with the ASI6200mm power supply?  I have an ASI6200mm, but I use Sequence Generator Pro.  Sometimes I forget to connect the power supply to the ASI6200mm.  The USB 3.0 cable delivers enough power that Sequence Generator Pro connects to it without error, but as soon as I try to use it with APPM an error is displayed - there's not enough power for the camera to function.  If your power supply is the problem it could very well explain what you are seeing. Do you have a different power supply?  The ASI6200mm seems to draw a lot more current than most ASI cameras.

Clear Skies,
Dan

legendtrail@...

Hi Dan,
I'm running the mount, focuser, and both cameras with a Powerwerx variable psu. It showed 13v all night
and other than the camera gremlin, the equipment was running normally. I ran Sharpcap and PemPro and
both of those had connected to the ASI6200mm without any problem, so I don't think the psu is suspect.

Dan R Price

   I didn't feel like hauling the telescope and mount out to the observatory tonight, so instead downloaded a free trial of Maxim DL.  Nothing special about the install.  Just followed the instructions emailed to me for the free trial.  Brought up the Camera Control window for Camera 1, clicked on Setup Camera and selected ASCOM, then clicked the Advanced button and selected ASI Camera (2).  I clicked the properties button that appeared and selected the ASI6200mm Pro.  Went back to the Camera Control window and clicked Connect.  That done, went over to APCC/Pointing Model/APPM.  Selected Maxim DL/CCD for the camera, connected the Scope and Camera.  Then did a simple 12 point Run.  The telescope was in the house so all the plate solves failed, but the camera connected and downloaded blank images just fine - for what it is worth.  Guess that doesn't help much, but since I went to the trouble thought I might as well report the result.  If/when you find the answer to your problem please post it.  Very curious to know what the solution is.

   I'm using Windows 10 Pro.  There have been issues with Windows 11 and third party vendors, especially if you perform the free upgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 11.   I have another laptop that gave me a lot of trouble after the "free" upgrade.  Just reinstalling drivers and software did not solve the problems.  Finally had to bare metal the laptop, put a fresh copy of Windows 11 on it, and reinstall all third party drivers and software.  Then it worked just fine.

Clear Skies,
Dan