APPM - error

Ron Kramer

I got it working, not SURE what I did - other than I went full frame and Bin2 for ASTAP.  It's about 3/4 through the model as I type this.

I do have some minor issues with APPM not waiting quite long enough for the dome to slew and settle.  9 out of 10 times it does but sometimes it's hasty and the dome is 1/3 over the scope.  Luckily I picked up enough stars to still solve when this happens.

Ron Kramer

MAYBE that was the fix.  I had great results last night. The pop up error never appeared.  And one of the solutions I tried was to update ASTAP. I was using the latest but I went back and noticed there is a dev release that is newer and I had installed that.

I made other changes to settings.  I went full frame, and bin2 and I sed a APPM setting from default to 0.  Something or everything made it work... but could be it was using the dev release of ASTAP that fixed it.

Results were well worth it.  BEFORE the point model I would get oblong stars if I went over 60-90 second exposures.  Last night I did 1000 second exposure and had round stars.  It blew me away.

Ron Kramer

Thanks Dale.  I made several tweaks including your full-frame, bin2 and its working great.  THANK YOU!

I always had to guide at over 60-90 second exposures.  After APPM last night I did 300 sec, then 500, then 800 then 1000 second exposures and all had excellent stars and low HFR.  I'm amazed.

only problem was APPM sometimes didn't want for the dome to slew/settle. (about 10% of the time).  But with the scope 1/2 way in the slit it was still able to get enough stars to solve.

Ray Gralak

Hi Ron,

Results were well worth it. BEFORE the point model I would get oblong stars if I went over 60-90 second
exposures. Last night I did 1000 second exposure and had round stars. It blew me away.
That's excellent! I'm glad you got everything working! :-)

Best regards,

-Ray

MAYBE that was the fix. I had great results last night. The pop up error never appeared. And one of the
solutions I tried was to update ASTAP. I was using the latest but I went back and noticed there is a dev
release that is newer and I had installed that.

I made other changes to settings. I went full frame, and bin2 and I sed a APPM setting from default to 0.
Something or everything made it work... but could be it was using the dev release of ASTAP that fixed it.

Results were well worth it. BEFORE the point model I would get oblong stars if I went over 60-90 second
exposures. Last night I did 1000 second exposure and had round stars. It blew me away.

Ron Kramer

thanks for the assists Ray - and thanks for the nina compatible updates.
Now what does "verify" check box do?
and how often should I make a new model?
I did a 300, 600 and 1000 second exposure after the APPM model was applied and I had round stars with no guiding even at 1000.
And at a good HFR of 3.48  (average is often higher even when guiding).
My max before the model was about 60-90 seconds and I'd still see eggs.

On Sun, Sep 19, 2021 at 12:24 PM Ray Gralak <iogroups@...> wrote:
Hi Ron,

> Results were well worth it.  BEFORE the point model I would get oblong stars if I went over 60-90 second
> exposures.  Last night I did 1000 second exposure and had round stars.  It blew me away.

That's excellent! I'm glad you got everything working! :-)

Best regards,

-Ray

It runs the same steps to collect sky data points but with the active model for the purpose of diagnosing pointing or tracking problems.

and how often should I make a new model?
We might ask you to run this if you have a dramatic pointing or tracking problem with a model, which doesn't appear to be the case. You are better off using this time for imaging!

-Ray

thanks for the assists Ray - and thanks for the nina compatible updates.
Now what does "verify" check box do?
and how often should I make a new model?
I did a 300, 600 and 1000 second exposure after the APPM model was applied and I had round stars with no
guiding even at 1000.
And at a good HFR of 3.48 (average is often higher even when guiding).
My max before the model was about 60-90 seconds and I'd still see eggs.

Hi Ron,

--

Ron Kramer
https://www.facebook.com/Ron.R.Kramer

Ted Mickle

Ray,

I ran my first-ever APPM model three nights back, a 95 point model.

Since then, using APPM I’ve run hours of 900 second narrowband imaging unguided and marvel at the small round stars, even in regions of the sky that were not included in the original model (created with a Tak 130, 1100 GTO and QHY 600M).

Is this particular 95-point model only applicable for this equipment, image scale and imaging season?

Thanks for APPM - it’s transformed my astroimaging.

Ted

On Sep 19, 2021, at 13:16, Ray Gralak <iogroups@siriusimaging.com> wrote:

HI Ron,

Now what does "verify" check box do?
It runs the same steps to collect sky data points but with the active model for the purpose of diagnosing pointing or tracking problems.

and how often should I make a new model?
We might ask you to run this if you have a dramatic pointing or tracking problem with a model, which doesn't appear to be the case. You are better off using this time for imaging!

-Ray

thanks for the assists Ray - and thanks for the nina compatible updates.
Now what does "verify" check box do?
and how often should I make a new model?
I did a 300, 600 and 1000 second exposure after the APPM model was applied and I had round stars with no
guiding even at 1000.
And at a good HFR of 3.48 (average is often higher even when guiding).
My max before the model was about 60-90 seconds and I'd still see eggs.

On Sun, Sep 19, 2021 at 12:24 PM Ray Gralak <iogroups@siriusimaging.com> wrote:

Hi Ron,

> Results were well worth it. BEFORE the point model I would get oblong stars if I went over 60-90
second
> exposures. Last night I did 1000 second exposure and had round stars. It blew me away.

That's excellent! I'm glad you got everything working! :-)

Best regards,

-Ray

Hi Ted,

I am glad that APPM and APCC Pro are working well for you!

Is this particular 95-point model only applicable for this equipment, image scale and imaging season?
In general, yes. However, if polar alignment changes enough because of ground settling, or if you change equipment balance significantly, then the model may not work as well.