From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of Ron Kramer
Sent: Wednesday, September 15, 2021 7:03 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: [ap-gto] APPM - error

I'm trying to finally use APPM. (with nina). I updated my license. (106.00 is there sales tax on a license?)
anyway.

I start the Point model and after the first exposure. I get this error. Invalid floating point operation from
APPM ?

Rouz

I'm using NINA and got that a couple of times, had to restart the model.
Not sure why that happens.

Ray Gralak

I'm using NINA and got that a couple of times, had to restart the model.

The floating-point divide error is displayed being displayed by ASTAP. I've seen ASTAP do this occasionally during testing, but it wasn't consistent. Unless it is often happening, you shouldn't need to start over. APPM will move on to the next point.

Not sure why that happens.
Only the ASTAP developer would be able to fix this issue. If you set APPM to save failed images, they could be posted to the ASTAP support forum for the author to inspect.

-Ray

I'm using NINA and got that a couple of times, had to restart the model.
Not sure why that happens.

Sergei

Hi Ray,

I'm also using ASTAP and get quite a few errors on plate solving points in APPM models. Failures also seem to occur very quickly - within a couple of seconds of APPM making a call to ASTAP. Is there a better solver you'd recommend that works more reliably with APPM? I use ASTAP from SGP as well and usually it's quite reliable there, but the sample size is much smaller of course.

Thank you for a terrific piece of software in APCC btw - couldn't imagine using my 1100-AE without it!

Sergei

ap@CaptivePhotons.com

Sergei wrote:

  • I'm also using ASTAP and get quite a few errors on plate solving points in APPM models. Failures also seem to occur very quickly - within a couple of seconds of APPM making a call to ASTAP. Is there a better solver you'd recommend that works more reliably with APPM? I use ASTAP from SGP as well and usually it's quite reliable there, but the sample size is much smaller of course.

    Thank you for a terrific piece of software in APCC btw - couldn't imagine using my 1100-AE without it!

I use ASTAP for NINA continually, and now use it for APPM (with NINA as a camera).  I have never had it give an error.  I have had it fail occasionally to find a solution, especially if you give it bad image scale, but never had it throw an error like that.   And I know a lot of other NINA users with similar experience.

That’s not to say it doesn’t, I do not doubt the reports… I am just curious what’s different about how people are using it through APPM?

Are those for whom it is failing using APPM to control the camera (as opposed to another software like TSX or NINA to control the camera)?  Could it be something about the FITS headers that variers depending on the capture program?

Speculation purely.

But from what I recall the list of other solvers includes some hefty associated software, e.g. to use imagelink from Bisque you need TSX, which is a pretty massive set of software for just a solver.   ASTAP is the lean version.

Linwood

Dean Jacobsen

Sergi, I have been using Platesolve 2 with SGP for APPM data collection for more than a year now without problem.  The only glitches have been when I forgot to change the image scale parameters in APPM when I changed cameras.
--
Dean Jacobsen

hmmm

i have used pinpoint for a year or so, and now ASTAP with APPM since the 1.9 release. I have not had any errors doing all sky modeling

On Thu, Sep 16, 2021 at 11:00 AM Sergei <sergei@...> wrote:
Hi Ray,

I'm also using ASTAP and get quite a few errors on plate solving points in APPM models. Failures also seem to occur very quickly - within a couple of seconds of APPM making a call to ASTAP. Is there a better solver you'd recommend that works more reliably with APPM? I use ASTAP from SGP as well and usually it's quite reliable there, but the sample size is much smaller of course.

Thank you for a terrific piece of software in APCC btw - couldn't imagine using my 1100-AE without it!

Sergei

--
Brian

Brian Valente

Ron Kramer

ASTAP is the best and fastest. NINA with ASTAP solves always in under 3 seconds ALWAYS.  Same install which never errors with NINA.  Hoping after spending another 106.00 I can get APPM working finally.  It did say it works with NINA and ASTAP?

Ron Kramer

I'll try again tonight.

Ron Kramer

SEtup but still light out.  I clicked this test button.  I loaded a APPM pic from last night and it loaded and solved under 3 seconds.

All I changed was bin from 1 to 2.  I'll try live tonight and update with my results.

Ron Kramer

WORKED on it all night - giving up.  I couldn't get  APPM to work with ASTAP.   Oddly - another solver in APPM setup is  "SGP"?  That's now a solver that's a program like NINA setup with a solver.  Why can't I select NINA (setup to solve with ASTAP?) As that works perfectly.  I've never had it not solve until I tried solving through APPM with the 106.00 update I bought. = (

On Thu, Sep 16, 2021 at 6:55 PM Ron Kramer via groups.io <ronkramer1957=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

SEtup but still light out.  I clicked this test button.  I loaded a APPM pic from last night and it loaded and solved under 3 seconds.

All I changed was bin from 1 to 2.  I'll try live tonight and update with my results.

Ray Gralak

WORKED on it all night - giving up. I couldn't get APPM to work with ASTAP. Oddly - another solver in
APPM setup is "SGP"? That's now a solver that's a program like NINA setup with a solver. Why can't I select
NINA (setup to solve with ASTAP?) As that works perfectly. I've never had it not solve until I tried solving
through APPM with the 106.00 update I bought. = (
NINA does not expose an interface for external applications like APPM to invoke its plate solver.

So have you looked at the failed images to see what they look like?

APPM just runs the ASTAP application via the command line. APPM allows you to set any and all of ASTAP's command line parameters, so you may need to adjust them for your FITS images, especially if the images are huge. ASTAP could be running out of memory. For support for ASTAP crashing you must contact the author, just like you would if PinPoint, SkyX, or PlateSolve2 in SGPro had crashed.

-Ray

WORKED on it all night - giving up. I couldn't get APPM to work with ASTAP. Oddly - another solver in
APPM setup is "SGP"? That's now a solver that's a program like NINA setup with a solver. Why can't I select
NINA (setup to solve with ASTAP?) As that works perfectly. I've never had it not solve until I tried solving
through APPM with the 106.00 update I bought. = (

On Thu, Sep 16, 2021 at 6:55 PM Ron Kramer via groups.io <ronkramer1957=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

SEtup but still light out. I clicked this test button. I loaded a APPM pic from last night and it loaded
and solved under 3 seconds.

All I changed was bin from 1 to 2. I'll try live tonight and update with my results.

--

Ron Kramer
https://www.facebook.com/Ron.R.Kramer

Bill Long

Have you tried updating ASTAP to the latest version?

> WORKED on it all night - giving up.  I couldn't get  APPM to work with ASTAP.   Oddly - another solver in
> APPM setup is  "SGP"?  That's now a solver that's a program like NINA setup with a solver.  Why can't I select
> NINA (setup to solve with ASTAP?) As that works perfectly.  I've never had it not solve until I tried solving
> through APPM with the 106.00 update I bought. = (

NINA does not expose an interface for external applications like APPM to invoke its plate solver.

So have you looked at the failed images to see what they look like?

APPM just runs the ASTAP application via the command line. APPM allows you to set any and all of ASTAP's command line parameters, so you may need to adjust them for your FITS images, especially if the images are huge. ASTAP could be running out of memory. For support for ASTAP crashing you must contact the author, just like you would if PinPoint, SkyX, or PlateSolve2 in SGPro had crashed.

-Ray

Sergei

Linwood, Dean, Brian - thank you for sharing. It could well be something in my settings. Just odd that failures on invocation from APPM seem to happen much faster than from SGP where it tends to run a lot longer before (much less frequently) failing to solve. The fact that SGP is also used from APPM as the camera capture interface, thus with the same settings, etc. confounds further.

Ray’s guess that plate solving failures involved ASTAP in an earlier reply made me think there’s some quirkiness to the APPM/ASTAP combo.

Thanks again,

Sergei

Ray Gralak

APPM gives you full control over ASTAP's settings, You can thus misconfigure settings. If you see lots of failures, send the failed images to astap's author. He's the best person to explain why a solve failed.

-Ray

Linwood, Dean, Brian - thank you for sharing. It could well be something in my settings. Just odd that failures
on invocation from APPM seem to happen much faster than from SGP where it tends to run a lot longer
before (much less frequently) failing to solve. The fact that SGP is also used from APPM as the camera
capture interface, thus with the same settings, etc. confounds further.

Ray’s guess that plate solving failures involved ASTAP in an earlier reply made me think there’s some
quirkiness to the APPM/ASTAP combo.

Thanks again,

Sergei

ap@CaptivePhotons.com

So are you using APPM to control the camera?  It sounds like that may be a difference.  I only use NINA to control the camera, could not get APPM to work well (camera is too large I think, or ZWO’s driver handles memory poorly, or both).  NINA being 64 bit works.