APPM changing gain on ZWO ASI2600MM Pro #APCC #Mach2GTO

David Johnson

I've been using a ZWO ASI2600MM for some time with no issues except that I was noticing that the gain would mysteriously change from 100 to 0.  It was very frustrating, because I would often find that I was taking doing a sequence at a gain of 0 when I know I had previously set the camera gain to 100 and not changed it.   I finally figured out that APPM appears to be doing this.  I am using Sequence Generator Pro as my "camera" in APPM, with the ASI2600 as the camera in SGP, and I checked the gain in SGP before and after, and APPM did indeed change the gain.  I can't find any setting in APPM that concerns gain, but maybe I'm missing something.  I don't remember this happening with other ZWO cameras when using them through SGP in APPM.  Thanks.

Ray Gralak

APPM does not purposely change gain. It could be SGPro is using a default value.

-Ray

-----Original Message-----
From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of David Johnson
Sent: Tuesday, January 25, 2022 4:19 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: [ap-gto] APPM changing gain on ZWO ASI2600MM Pro #APCC #Mach2GTO

I've been using a ZWO ASI2600MM for some time with no issues except that I was noticing that the gain would
mysteriously change from 100 to 0. It was very frustrating, because I would often find that I was taking doing
a sequence at a gain of 0 when I know I had previously set the camera gain to 100 and not changed it. I
finally figured out that APPM appears to be doing this. I am using Sequence Generator Pro as my "camera"
in APPM, with the ASI2600 as the camera in SGP, and I checked the gain in SGP before and after, and APPM
did indeed change the gain. I can't find any setting in APPM that concerns gain, but maybe I'm missing
something. I don't remember this happening with other ZWO cameras when using them through SGP in
APPM. Thanks.

Joel Short

David,
Check to make sure that the ZWO ASCOM driver is set to whatever gain you want it at.  If SGP doesn't define a gain then the ASCOM driver will default to whatever you have it set at. 
joel

David Johnson

Just want to clear what I did tonight to verify the issue.  I started APCC, initialized the mount, and started the driver, connecting APCC to the driver.  I then started SGP, and connected SGP to the ASI2400MM, the focuser, the Mach2 driver, and the filter wheel.  I set the camera gain to 100 in SGP.  I even opened the window back up and made sure it was 100.  I then start APPM and do my mapping, using SGP as the “camera”.  After the model is finished and fed into APCC, I then stop APPM.  I immediately look in SGP, and the camera gain has changed to 0.  At no time did SGP restart, nor did I change the gain.  Somehow, the APPM process changed the gain.  This has not happened with any of the many other ZWO cameras I have, and I’ve done this dozens of times.

AaronW

I do not use APPM but have similar issues with SGP suddenly resetting the gain from 100 to 0 (I use the ASI6200mm). 

I have not investigated this thoroughly but believe this is something SGP might do when a sequence is aborted.

If, for example, I start integrating and notice a plane fly through the frame and want to pause the exposure and restart (I’m usually doing 15-min exposures), I have to abort the sequence entirely and make sure the gain is still 100 before restarting.

On Jan 25, 2022, at 5:52 PM, David Johnson <dajohns37@...> wrote:

Just want to clear what I did tonight to verify the issue.  I started APCC, initialized the mount, and started the driver, connecting APCC to the driver.  I then started SGP, and connected SGP to the ASI2400MM, the focuser, the Mach2 driver, and the filter wheel.  I set the camera gain to 100 in SGP.  I even opened the window back up and made sure it was 100.  I then start APPM and do my mapping, using SGP as the “camera”.  After the model is finished and fed into APCC, I then stop APPM.  I immediately look in SGP, and the camera gain has changed to 0.  At no time did SGP restart, nor did I change the gain.  Somehow, the APPM process changed the gain.  This has not happened with any of the many other ZWO cameras I have, and I’ve done this dozens of times.

Ray Gralak

Hi David,

Which version of SGPro are you using?

And can I get you to use APCC's Log Zipper utility to zip the APPM log files and either post the zip file here or email it to me privately?

-Ray

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of David Johnson
Sent: Tuesday, January 25, 2022 5:52 PM
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] APPM changing gain on ZWO ASI2600MM Pro #APCC #Mach2GTO

Just want to clear what I did tonight to verify the issue. I started APCC, initialized the mount, and started the
driver, connecting APCC to the driver. I then started SGP, and connected SGP to the ASI2400MM, the
focuser, the Mach2 driver, and the filter wheel. I set the camera gain to 100 in SGP. I even opened the
window back up and made sure it was 100. I then start APPM and do my mapping, using SGP as the
“camera”. After the model is finished and fed into APCC, I then stop APPM. I immediately look in SGP, and
the camera gain has changed to 0. At no time did SGP restart, nor did I change the gain. Somehow, the
APPM process changed the gain. This has not happened with any of the many other ZWO cameras I have,
and I’ve done this dozens of times.

David Johnson

I’m using the latest version of SGP:  4.0.0.700.  I should be able to put together a good package of log files this evening - looks like it’s going to be clear and cold again tonight.  I’m make sure I note when everything happens.  I know that makes it easier to find any issues.

Ray Gralak

> I’m using the latest version of SGP:  4.0.0.700.  I should be able to put together a good package of log files

> this evening - looks like it’s going to be clear and cold again tonight.  I’m make sure I note when everything

> happens.  I know that makes it easier to find any issues.

Okay thanks. In APPM, please enable extra debug output as shown in this screenshot:

-Ray

David Johnson

Edited

Okay, I figured out that I only need to have APPM take one image to have this issue.  I've recorded a video that shows the issue.  I verified that the gain was 100, started APPM, and then showed that the gain was changed to 0 after APPM does its thing.  I aborted the mapping after one image, but you can see the issue occurred.  You should be able to access the video here.  The time is shown in the lower right corner.  The zipped log files are here.  Please let me know if you have problems accessing these.  I'm not a DropBox expert.  Thanks.

David Johnson

Sent link to wrong zipped log file - should be correct now.

Ray Gralak

David,

The problem appears to be in SGPro. APPM does not set a gain value when requesting an image, so SGPro is probably defaulting to 0 instead of using the value currently configured.

Here is an example of what APPM sends to SGPro via its REST API (notice that "gain" is not specified):

0000190 2022-01-26 18:39:17.162: Debug, SgProCam, Sending: http://localhost:59590/json/reply/SgCaptureImage, Params: {"BinningMode":1,"ExposureLength":3,"Iso":"","Speed":"Normal","FrameType":"Light","Path":"C:\\Users\\dajoh\\OneDrive\\Documents\\Astro-Physics\\APPM\\SGProImage","UseSubframe":false,"X":0,"Y":0,"Width":6248,"Height":4176}

-Ray

Sent: Wednesday, January 26, 2022 4:14 PM

Sent link to wrong zipped log file - should be correct now.

David Johnson

Okay, thanks.  This would agree with what AaronW writes above.  It appears to be specific to the ASI2600MM, at least in my experience, and I do have quite a few ZWO cameras.

Joel Short

David, where are you setting the gain in SGP?  I'm using an ASI2600MM and ASI6200MM in a tandem scope arrangement.  
joel

On Wed, Jan 26, 2022 at 6:24 PM David Johnson <dajohns37@...> wrote:
Okay, thanks.  This would agree with what AaronW writes above.  It appears to be specific to the ASI2600MM, at least in my experience, and I do have quite a few ZWO cameras.

David Johnson

The video shows it very clearly.  Here’s a screen shot.

Joel Short

Have you ever adjusted or checked the gain setting "per event"?  You may know this already, just checking.
joel

David Johnson

Never played with that, but I’ll look into it.  I don’t think that’s the issue here, since the gain doesn’t change if I just run a sequence in SGP, but I may make it 100, just to be sure.  Thanks.

Joel Short

If no gain is set in SGP it will revert to the gain set in the ASCOM driver (your screenshot above).  I never just trust the gain in the ASCOM driver.  I always set the gain per event so I know the gain will be what I set it.  Also, I like to use a gain of 0 for LRGB images and 100 for narrowband images.  So I often have a mix of gains happening in the same imaging sequence.  Setting the per event gain allows that.
joel

David Johnson

That’s a good idea to make sure you get the gain you want in SGP, but I still see an issue with APPM.  It appears that for whatever reason, and I suspect it’s a problem with the ASCOM driver for the ASI2600MM, that the gain is set to zero when APPM starts using the camera.  Usually, this isn’t a huge issue, but I could see situations where I’d like to have the gain higher, and it’s certainly typical for people to set higher gains when doing plate solving to maximize the number of usable stars, then using lower gains for actual imaging.  Therefore, it would be nice if we could explicitly set the gain within APPM.  Is it possible that this capability could be added in a future release?  Thanks.

Ray Gralak

David,

I can put it on my list of items to consider. The thing is that not all cameras have a Gain value and APPM doesn't know which camera is being used in SGPro. So, the best place to configure Gain, if the camera has Gain, should be in the program actually controlling the camera (SGPro).

-Ray

Sent: Saturday, January 29, 2022 7:30 AM

That’s a good idea to make sure you get the gain you want in SGP, but I still see an issue with APPM. It
appears that for whatever reason, and I suspect it’s a problem with the ASCOM driver for the ASI2600MM, that
the gain is set to zero when APPM starts using the camera. Usually, this isn’t a huge issue, but I could see
situations where I’d like to have the gain higher, and it’s certainly typical for people to set higher gains when
doing plate solving to maximize the number of usable stars, then using lower gains for actual imaging.
Therefore, it would be nice if we could explicitly set the gain within APPM. Is it possible that this capability
could be added in a future release? Thanks.