From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of David Johnson
Sent: Tuesday, January 25, 2022 4:19 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: [ap-gto] APPM changing gain on ZWO ASI2600MM Pro #APCC #Mach2GTO

I've been using a ZWO ASI2600MM for some time with no issues except that I was noticing that the gain would
mysteriously change from 100 to 0. It was very frustrating, because I would often find that I was taking doing
a sequence at a gain of 0 when I know I had previously set the camera gain to 100 and not changed it. I
finally figured out that APPM appears to be doing this. I am using Sequence Generator Pro as my "camera"
in APPM, with the ASI2600 as the camera in SGP, and I checked the gain in SGP before and after, and APPM
did indeed change the gain. I can't find any setting in APPM that concerns gain, but maybe I'm missing
something. I don't remember this happening with other ZWO cameras when using them through SGP in
APPM. Thanks.

Joel Short

David,
Check to make sure that the ZWO ASCOM driver is set to whatever gain you want it at.  If SGP doesn't define a gain then the ASCOM driver will default to whatever you have it set at.
joel

David Johnson

Just want to clear what I did tonight to verify the issue.  I started APCC, initialized the mount, and started the driver, connecting APCC to the driver.  I then started SGP, and connected SGP to the ASI2400MM, the focuser, the Mach2 driver, and the filter wheel.  I set the camera gain to 100 in SGP.  I even opened the window back up and made sure it was 100.  I then start APPM and do my mapping, using SGP as the “camera”.  After the model is finished and fed into APCC, I then stop APPM.  I immediately look in SGP, and the camera gain has changed to 0.  At no time did SGP restart, nor did I change the gain.  Somehow, the APPM process changed the gain.  This has not happened with any of the many other ZWO cameras I have, and I’ve done this dozens of times.

AaronW

I do not use APPM but have similar issues with SGP suddenly resetting the gain from 100 to 0 (I use the ASI6200mm).

I have not investigated this thoroughly but believe this is something SGP might do when a sequence is aborted.

If, for example, I start integrating and notice a plane fly through the frame and want to pause the exposure and restart (I’m usually doing 15-min exposures), I have to abort the sequence entirely and make sure the gain is still 100 before restarting.

On Jan 25, 2022, at 5:52 PM, David Johnson <dajohns37@...> wrote:

Just want to clear what I did tonight to verify the issue.  I started APCC, initialized the mount, and started the driver, connecting APCC to the driver.  I then started SGP, and connected SGP to the ASI2400MM, the focuser, the Mach2 driver, and the filter wheel.  I set the camera gain to 100 in SGP.  I even opened the window back up and made sure it was 100.  I then start APPM and do my mapping, using SGP as the “camera”.  After the model is finished and fed into APCC, I then stop APPM.  I immediately look in SGP, and the camera gain has changed to 0.  At no time did SGP restart, nor did I change the gain.  Somehow, the APPM process changed the gain.  This has not happened with any of the many other ZWO cameras I have, and I’ve done this dozens of times.

Ray Gralak

Hi David,

Which version of SGPro are you using?

And can I get you to use APCC's Log Zipper utility to zip the APPM log files and either post the zip file here or email it to me privately?

-Ray

Just want to clear what I did tonight to verify the issue. I started APCC, initialized the mount, and started the
driver, connecting APCC to the driver. I then started SGP, and connected SGP to the ASI2400MM, the
focuser, the Mach2 driver, and the filter wheel. I set the camera gain to 100 in SGP. I even opened the
window back up and made sure it was 100. I then start APPM and do my mapping, using SGP as the
“camera”. After the model is finished and fed into APCC, I then stop APPM. I immediately look in SGP, and
the camera gain has changed to 0. At no time did SGP restart, nor did I change the gain. Somehow, the
APPM process changed the gain. This has not happened with any of the many other ZWO cameras I have,
and I’ve done this dozens of times.

David Johnson

I’m using the latest version of SGP:  4.0.0.700.  I should be able to put together a good package of log files this evening - looks like it’s going to be clear and cold again tonight.  I’m make sure I note when everything happens.  I know that makes it easier to find any issues.

Ray Gralak

> I’m using the latest version of SGP:  4.0.0.700.  I should be able to put together a good package of log files

> this evening - looks like it’s going to be clear and cold again tonight.  I’m make sure I note when everything

> happens.  I know that makes it easier to find any issues.

Okay thanks. In APPM, please enable extra debug output as shown in this screenshot:

-Ray

David Johnson

Edited

Okay, I figured out that I only need to have APPM take one image to have this issue.  I've recorded a video that shows the issue.  I verified that the gain was 100, started APPM, and then showed that the gain was changed to 0 after APPM does its thing.  I aborted the mapping after one image, but you can see the issue occurred.  You should be able to access the video here.  The time is shown in the lower right corner.  The zipped log files are here.  Please let me know if you have problems accessing these.  I'm not a DropBox expert.  Thanks.

David Johnson

Sent link to wrong zipped log file - should be correct now.

Ray Gralak

David,

The problem appears to be in SGPro. APPM does not set a gain value when requesting an image, so SGPro is probably defaulting to 0 instead of using the value currently configured.

Here is an example of what APPM sends to SGPro via its REST API (notice that "gain" is not specified):

0000190 2022-01-26 18:39:17.162: Debug, SgProCam, Sending: http://localhost:59590/json/reply/SgCaptureImage, Params: {"BinningMode":1,"ExposureLength":3,"Iso":"","Speed":"Normal","FrameType":"Light","Path":"C:\\Users\\dajoh\\OneDrive\\Documents\\Astro-Physics\\APPM\\SGProImage","UseSubframe":false,"X":0,"Y":0,"Width":6248,"Height":4176}

-Ray