APPM & ASTAP - HELP #APCC

Erkaslan Aygen

Hi all,

Whenever I try to run a pointing model, ASTAP fails every time. However, the very same ASTAP works like a breeze with my automation software.

I changed the default settings as follow but my problem persists.

I installed the last version of APCC (1.9.3.3).

Any ideas or suggestions ?

Thank you very much.

Aygen

When I try to run a pointing model the ASTAP solve always fails

Ray Gralak

Hi Aygen,

Make sure you are using the latest version of ASTAP. Also, in APPM, try clicking "Restore defaults" and then setting Max Number of Stars (in APPM) to 0 so that all defaults are used.

-Ray

Whenever I try to run a pointing model, ASTAP fails every time. However, the very same ASTAP works like a
breeze with my automation software.

I changed the default settings as follow but my problem persists.

I installed the last version of APCC (1.9.3.3).

Any ideas or suggestions ?

Thank you very much.

Aygen

When I try to run a pointing model the ASTAP solve always fails

Erkaslan Aygen

Hi Ray,

Sorry for my late reply.

I have the last version of ASTAP installed and I did a "reset" as you suggested (+ 0 in max number stars).

Same result, ASTAP fails every time. I am really lost :(

Each time I have to wait ages - like the system is freezing - before APPM shows "failed" status.

This is really frustrating.

My camera is the ASI 6200 mm pro - I am using the ZWO Ascom Driver with no changes in the settings.

I don't know what else to do.

Best,
Aygen

Le dim. 23 janv. 2022 à 00:39, Ray Gralak <iogroups@...> a écrit :
Hi Aygen,

Make sure you are using the latest version of ASTAP. Also, in APPM,  try clicking "Restore defaults" and then setting Max Number of Stars (in APPM) to 0 so that all defaults are used.

-Ray

marsh.family

Hi Ray – my experience is the same.  ASTAP always fails in the same way as below but works in other programs in the same session.

Thanks,

Chris

I have the last version of ASTAP installed and I did a "reset" as you suggested (+ 0 in max number stars).

Same result, ASTAP fails every time. I am really lost :(

Each time I have to wait ages - like the system is freezing - before APPM shows "failed" status.

This is really frustrating.

My camera is the ASI 6200 mm pro - I am using the ZWO Ascom Driver with no changes in the settings.

I don't know what else to do.

Best,

Aygen

Le dim. 23 janv. 2022 à 00:39, Ray Gralak <iogroups@...> a écrit :

Hi Aygen,

Make sure you are using the latest version of ASTAP. Also, in APPM,  try clicking "Restore defaults" and then setting Max Number of Stars (in APPM) to 0 so that all defaults are used.

-Ray

Aygen,

Ah, you are using the ZWO ASCOM camera driver. Are you binning the images? The ZWO camera driver can create unbinned images too big to load into memory.

-Ray

Le dim. 23 janv. 2022 à 00:39, Ray Gralak <iogroups@siriusimaging.com> a écrit :

Hi Aygen,

Make sure you are using the latest version of ASTAP. Also, in APPM, try clicking "Restore defaults"
and then setting Max Number of Stars (in APPM) to 0 so that all defaults are used.

-Ray

in my experience the 6200 generates far too big images. I can use it through a third party app like SGP to interface to APPM, i'm not sure how well it will work natively.

It's possible to bin the camera and/or use a center frame, but I think APPM works best at bin 1, so I chose the SGP route for camera interface, which works without issue for me

--
Brian

Brian Valente

Roland Christen

My camera is the ASI 6200 mm pro
I think that's your problem. Try binning 2x2.

I have the last version of ASTAP installed and I did a "reset" as you suggested (+ 0 in max number stars).

Same result, ASTAP fails every time. I am really lost :(

Each time I have to wait ages - like the system is freezing - before APPM shows "failed" status.

This is really frustrating.

My camera is the ASI 6200 mm pro - I am using the ZWO Ascom Driver with no changes in the settings.

I don't know what else to do.

Best,
Aygen

Le dim. 23 janv. 2022 à 00:39, Ray Gralak <iogroups@...> a écrit :
Hi Aygen,

Make sure you are using the latest version of ASTAP. Also, in APPM,  try clicking "Restore defaults" and then setting Max Number of Stars (in APPM) to 0 so that all defaults are used.

-Ray

I am using the ZWO ASCOM driver. No binning. I will give it a try.

In the meantime, by deselecting the option "auto dark subtract" I am getting the following results which seem not really normal.

Le lun. 24 janv. 2022 à 20:18, Ray Gralak <iogroups@...> a écrit :
Aygen,

Ah, you are using the ZWO ASCOM camera driver. Are you binning the images? The ZWO camera driver can create unbinned images too big to load into memory.

-Ray

Ray Gralak

Aygen,

Try binning 2x2 and also turn dark subtraction off. There is little need for subtracting a dark frame in a CMOS camera like the 6200. If there are still issues, try also setting the subframe to 1/2 x 1/2 in APPM's camera settings.

-Ray

I am using the ZWO ASCOM driver. No binning. I will give it a try.

In the meantime, by deselecting the option "auto dark subtract" I am getting the following results which seem
not really normal.

Capture d’écran 2022-01-24 à 20.25.44.png

Le lun. 24 janv. 2022 à 20:18, Ray Gralak <iogroups@siriusimaging.com> a écrit :

Aygen,

Ah, you are using the ZWO ASCOM camera driver. Are you binning the images? The ZWO camera driver
can create unbinned images too big to load into memory.

-Ray

Thanks, it seems to have solved my "taking ages" issues. I used the 2x2 binning and turned the dark subtraction off. Just for my understanding, does it make sense to have "RA Delta and DEC Delta" both 0.000 ???

Le lun. 24 janv. 2022 à 20:34, Ray Gralak <iogroups@...> a écrit :
Aygen,

Try binning 2x2 and also turn dark subtraction off. There is little need for subtracting a dark frame in a CMOS camera like the 6200. If there are still issues, try also setting the subframe to 1/2 x 1/2 in APPM's camera settings.

-Ray

Joseph Beyer

Everything worked flawlessly with the APPM run and imaging last night with my Mach1 / Tak FSQ-106 / ASI6200.  The APPM mapping run took 19 minutes for a 48 point Dec arc model.  The missing Dec and RA values may have been from not having the mount connected to NINA the previous night.  I also reinstalled the H17 star database into the ASTAP folder into the programs directory before starting.  Here are the settings I used, hope it helps someone.

On Jan 24, 2022, at 5:45 PM, Joseph Beyer via groups.io <jcbeyer2001@...> wrote:

I just finished setting up a new NUC for imaging and am having a similar problem with ASTAP and an ASI6200.  I was using the same software setup on a laptop which was working excellent for APPM.  I set the same parameters on the new computer and it's not solving.  I never had to bin the camera but changed the down sampling to 2.  One thing that immediately sticks out is there are no Dec or RA values in the image FITS header from the new setup.  I was trying to solve the saved images taken last night before trying to start an APPM run. They wouldn't solve in ASTAP as there are no DEC or RA values in the header.  Below are the values from the laptop which was working fine last I used it and the NUC which isn't.  I haven't used the laptop since I've uploaded the newer version of APCC-Pro.  I'm currently using v1.9.3.3 on both computers.  If I don't have any success tonight with the NUC I'll try the laptop again and see if that still works.

Laptop - working computer:
ASTAP Version: 80.9.577, 64 bit, date v2021-9-9
Star database: g17 *NOTE*: the website now says this database is obsolete and has been replaced by H17.  The older G version should be deleted

APPM Parameters:
Camera settings: Binning 1; Subframe - full frame; Auto Dark Subtract - unchecked
Plate Solve Settings are DEFAULT except for pixel scale for the Tak FSQ-106/ASI6200 and down sampling of 2

NUC - will not solve
ASTAP version: v2022-1-23
Star database: H18 - this is a more extensive database than on the laptop

APPM Parameters:
Originally I set all parameters to match the laptop but solves failed - the program timed out at 30 seconds.  In my experience images solve in 2-3 seconds.  Tried changing binning to to 2 - no solves.

I'll update tonight.

Joe