APCC with SGP Pier Flip Failure #APCC

psparkman@...

Greetings.  I posted this on SGP forum as I think the issue is mostly on their end, but thought that I would also post it here for help.

Generally pier flips have been working with SGP 4.0.0.680 and APCC on my AP1100, however last night it failed an unattended pier flip and aborted my sequence for the night. So I lost about 5 hours of imaging.

It has been working, but I was always worried that I might run into the same issue as I have when I do a delayed counter weight up pier flip. When using APCC and using the delayed counter weight up functionality, everything works fine with SGP until the actual flip is commanded. When my AP1100 mount slews from a counter weight up position it performs a “Safety Slew”. First the mount only moves in RA to get to a counter weight up position as this prevents the dec from rotating the scope into pier. The mount pauses for a couple of seconds after the RA has moved to counter weight level before it starts the move the requested RA/DEC or pier flip.

This is when I think the problem occurs. SGP thinks that the mount has already completed the slew and gives the error that the scope is still on the West side of the pier due to this delay. I currently have the pier flip delay set to 1 min past the meridian to prevent the scope from oscillating back and forth during the plate solve after the pier flip, but it looks like this time the safety slew delay caused SGP to abort. It would be really good to get this fixed as then I could use the delayed flip feature of APCC and SGP, but at the very least, this needs to be made reliable with a standard flip.

I have included both log files, and will also post it on AP’s forum. But I don’t want to get caught between two companies blaming each other. SGP and AP are both premier companies in my mind and I just want to get this working.

Link to Logs

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1OIw_Wl-woeZOhckmpu6_BLrnRSlvSoQv?usp=sharing

Useful Info

OS: Windows 10
Ver: SGP 4.0.0.680 64-bit
APCC Version 1.9.0.7

Roland Christen

Yes, the safety slew is accomplished in 2 steps. I will run this past our software engineer and see if there is a way to get around the momentary delay.

Roland Christen
Astro-Physics Inc.

[...]

Thanks Roland!  The safety slew totally makes sense.  The main question is how does APCC report the completion of the slew.  If you look in the SGP log file it shows that the mount reports that it is done slewing.

[09/21/21 00:05:01.826][DEBUG][Telescope Thread][SQ;MF;] Scope reports it is done with synchronous slew, verifying...
[09/21/21 00:05:01.858][DEBUG][Telescope Thread][SQ;MF;] Telescope: Slewing has completed

And this occurred only a couple of seconds after the command to flip.  So it seems as if the mount is saying that it is done slewing during the safety slew pause?

I have the link to the mount log and SGP log in the post.

[09/21/21 00:04:55.489][DEBUG][Pier Flip Thread][SQ;MF;] Meridian Flip: Sending Telescope command to execute meridian flip
[09/21/21 00:04:55.496][DEBUG][Telescope Thread][SQ;MF;] ASCOM Telescope: Pier side is West
[09/21/21 00:04:55.496][DEBUG][Telescope Thread][SQ;MF;] ASCOM Telescope: attempting pier flip using slew
[09/21/21 00:04:55.514][INFO][Telescope Thread][SQ;MF;] Telescope: Using "OFFSET" sync option, updating slew cooridnates with offsets:
[09/21/21 00:04:55.514][INFO][Telescope Thread][SQ;MF;] RA:  23.2613312948277 hours
[09/21/21 00:04:55.514][INFO][Telescope Thread][SQ;MF;] DEC: 59.9993678200984 degrees
[09/21/21 00:04:55.514][DEBUG][Telescope Thread][SQ;MF;] Telescope: Slewing to J2000 RA: 23.2613312948277 (23h15m40.79s) Dec: 59.9993678200984 (59°59'57.72")
[09/21/21 00:04:55.514][DEBUG][Telescope Thread][SQ;MF;] Telescope: Slew received J2000 coordinates, mount requires JNOW, converting...
[09/21/21 00:04:55.514][DEBUG][Telescope Thread][SQ;MF;] Telescope: Slewing to JNOW RA: 23.2775368403792 Dec: 60.1180862412902
[09/21/21 00:04:59.429][DEBUG][Main Thread][SQ;MF;] PopulateDataModel:  Transferring view to the data model...
[09/21/21 00:04:59.432][DEBUG][MF Update Thread][SQ;MF;] Performing serialize...
[09/21/21 00:05:01.826][DEBUG][Telescope Thread][SQ;MF;] Scope reports it is done with synchronous slew, verifying...
[09/21/21 00:05:01.858][DEBUG][Telescope Thread][SQ;MF;] Telescope: Slewing has completed
[09/21/21 00:05:01.858][DEBUG][Telescope Thread][SQ;MF;] Telescope: Settling for 1 seconds
[09/21/21 00:05:02.859][DEBUG][Telescope Thread][SQ;MF;] Telescope: Settling has completed
[09/21/21 00:05:03.361][DEBUG][Telescope Thread][SQ;MF;] ASCOM Telescope: Failed to flip because starting pier side and ending pier side are the same!
[09/21/21 00:05:03.462][DEBUG][Telescope Thread][SQ;MF;] Telescope thread is IDLE...
[09/21/21 00:05:03.493][DEBUG][Pier Flip Thread][SQ;MF;] Meridian Flip: Telescope command to meridian flip has completed
[09/21/21 00:05:03.496][DEBUG][Pier Flip Thread][SQ;MF;] Meridian Flip: Telescope failed to perform meridian flip

Ray Gralak

What are the settings on APCC's meridian limits tab?

E.g., Are meridian limits enabled? What flip offset do you have defined? Etc.

-Ray

[...]

I had to take my mount down today, but I have East and West Limits unchecked and I have my Flip offset set at 14 minutes.  In SGP I have it set to flip at 1 minute past the meridian.    Essentially, I have it set to flip close to the meridian, but slightly past to avoid it flipping back and forth.  This exact setup has done many flips over the past two weeks, and this is the first failure.  I can only think that SGP polled at the the exact time that the mount was pausing from the safety slew.  Again, I am not sure why SGP gets a report from ASCOM that the slew is complete.

Luca Marinelli

I don’t doubt that you are having meridian flip related sequence failures. However, I will offer the datapoint that I am using SGP 4 v680 with both an AP 1100 and Mach2 without any meridian flip failures.

I have set up the meridian limits and set the flip offset to at least 5 minute more than my longest exposure in the sequence (for example, if the sequence has 10 minute exposures I set the flip offset to 15 minutes). I set the action at the meridian limit to stop tracking (SGP calls the slew that initiates the flip and it should always happen at least 5 minutes before the actual limit with the above flip offset). Check the box to pass flip offset to SGP and I also check the box for CW up slews within West limits.

Nothing unusual in the SGP telescope setup window. I just enable auto meridian flip and check the box to perform a centering action after the flip. No need to mess with the time after meridian to flip because APCC passes that parameter along dynamically with the flip offset.

—Luca

On Sep 21, 2021, at 8:29 PM, Ray Gralak via groups.io <iogroups=siriusimaging.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

In the APCC window, uncheck limit to Meridian or the meridian limits you setup are ignored by APCC. You may then have a situation were SGP has no time to execute the flip before the mount stops tracking. If the mount stops tracking, SGP will abort the sequence.

Luca

On Sep 21, 2021, at 9:16 PM, Luca Marinelli via groups.io <photo=lucamarinelli.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Hi Luca.  I have used those exact same settings.  That is why I have 14 minutes set as my flip offset.  I have checked the box for CW up slews with West limits so that it can track CW past the meridian.  Everything is passed properly to SGP and it offsets and initiate the flip as expected.  However, I still get the problem where SGP thinks the slew is completed during the safety slew pause and then aborts the flip and shuts down.  Not real sure why it is inconsistent, but I have had 100% reliability when I flipped 1 min past the meridian until last night.

psparkman@...

Good point on unchecking the Limit to Meridian button.  That was not the issue this time, but might have caused an issue some other time.  In this case the flip started fine, but SGP received a slew completed notification from the mount only 6 seconds after the flip started.  Then when SGP checked, the mount was still on the West side of course and SGP aborted.

Ray Gralak

That is why I have 14 minutes set as my flip offset.
The pier flip failed because an appropriate meridian delay was not set, so the slew went to the same pier side. In fact, your log does not indicate any meridian delay offsets were being set, so are you sure that meridian limits were enabled?

I suggest that you double-check your settings on the next imaging night and make sure that SGPro is getting the flip delay value.

Also, you may want to update to APCC Pro 1.9.0.9, which was released yesterday.

-Ray

Hi Luca. I have used those exact same settings. That is why I have 14 minutes set as my flip offset. I have
checked the box for CW up slews with West limits so that it can track CW past the meridian. Everything is
passed properly to SGP and it offsets and initiate the flip as expected. However, I still get the problem where
SGP thinks the slew is completed during the safety slew pause and then aborts the flip and shuts down. Not
real sure why it is inconsistent, but I have had 100% reliability when I flipped 1 min past the meridian until last
night.

psparkman@...

Thanks Ray.  Yes, I am really bummed to not have the scope set up tonight while it is a very clear night (except for the moon) here in San Diego.  We are having concrete work done and I set up my scope on the patio.  Oh well.

I think you are on to something Ray.  I had a 1 minute past the meridian delay set in SGP, and it properly instigated the pier flip at that time and shows that it thinks the scope is 0.25 degrees past the meridian (1 minute).  However, it is based off of the offset it calculates from the plate solve.  So, it might be the case that with the offset error between SGP's actual plate solve and the coordinates that the mount model thinks it is located the mount thinks that it is slewing to coordinates that are still on the west side of the pier.  So it is not the delay from the safety slew, but rather the difference between where the mount thinks it is and the actual coordinates from the plate solve causing the mount to stay slewed on the west side of the mount.  Now I just need a way to give myself some more tolerance between the pier flip coordinates and the coordinates that will force the mount to flip rather than slew.

Now how to set up the proper offsets to ensure that I don't have this problem.  I see that I should probably sync the mount model each night near where I anticipate the flip to occur so I get a more accurate mount position.

psparkman@...

Luca Marinelli,

How do you set your Telescope Sync Behavior in SGP?  I am using Target Offset.

Luca Marinelli

On Tue, Sep 21, 2021 at 11:00 PM, <psparkman@...> wrote:
Luca Marinelli,

How do you set your Telescope Sync Behavior in SGP?  I am using Target Offset.
I set Telescope Sync behavior to Sync, which is translated to Recal by APCC. Ray can comment further but I believe this should be ok also when running an APPM model. It just tells the mount where it actually is, regardless of any assumptions, and the model should rotate if necessary to take into account the actual position of the mount.

I ran a couple of experiments and found something else that may be causing your meridian flip failure. You need to check the West Limits checkbox or the meridian flip will happen at the actual meridian, regardless of whether Limit to Meridian is checked. Given your meridian limits, I would set up the flip in one of two ways:

1) SGP handles the meridian delay and APCC only handles safety: Set Minutes Past Meridian to Flip in SGP at least 5 minutes to ensure that the mount is definitely CW up when the flip procedure starts. In APCC, uncheck send limits with offset to SGP.

2) APCC handles meridian delay and safety, SGP requests the flip at the time set by APCC: Minutes Past Meridian to Flip is irrelevant and overridden by APCC, make sure Limit to Meridian is unchecked, West Limits and Send Limit with offset to SGP are both checked. Set Flip Offset to 15 minutes (or 5 min + longest exposure in your sequence).

I prefer approach 2) but both should work. If you connect the mount and play with the settings in APCC you will see how the Scope flip time in SGP changes in real time.

Luca

psparkman@...

Thanks Luca.  I have tried the #1 and #2 approach and still have had issues.  But I think the key difference is using the Telescope Sync Behavior setting Sync.  I have been using Target Offset and I think that is why I have inconsistent behavior.  Depending on the error, I might have a situation where the error causes the slew command to still be within the West Pier limits and cause the aborted slew.  So I will go to Sync and option 2) to take advantage of the fact that I will need to do far less pier flips that way.

Andrew J

Hi.

I am following this topic with great interest. I have also had issues with consistent Pier Flips when using SGP with APCC with my Mach1 and a TEC140. In my previous setup, I had very narrow window to do the Pier Flip because with my old Pier I was barely able to go past the meridian without risking a Pier crash. Basically, I needed to do the flip as close to the meridian as possible.

These are the Meridian settings I have used previously with the Mach1.

I also use Homing Limits to help guard against accidental Pier crashes.

These are my settings Meridian Flip settings in SGP:

I plan on setting up APCC and SGP this weekend for my new GTO1100 on an ATS Pier. The new Pier should give me a little more time past the meridian as the new Pier does not have the wide “birds nest” design that limited how close the pier I could get before risking a collision. That said, I would welcome feedback on the best settings to use when setting up a new mount for SGP. I looked in the help document for APCC, but did not find anything that discussed how to setup APCC for SGP. I would be very interested to see what settings others are using to get Pier Flips to work consistently. I hope to continue to be able to use the Homing Limits to prevent pier crashes, but not sure if that will be possible.

 Andrew J

Andrew J

Update: I just realize that my SGP screeenshot show Minutes Past Meridian to Flip is set to 5, which conflict with the Homing Limit of 2.0 Mins from Meridian. SGP use to be set to 0 Mins Past Meridian to Flip. Not sure how this got changed. Normally I set to zero. I would use a negative number, but my understanding is that negative values don't work.

Andrew

Ray Gralak

Hi Andrew,

Negative values will work if you are using SGPro V4, or an up-to-date SGPro V3.

BTW, I noticed your screenshot has meridian limits off and counterweight up slews to West unchecked. You should enable both, and consider unchecking "Limit to meridian" as that might not allow the flip offset to be set appropriately at times.

-Ray

Update: I just realize that my SGP screeenshot show Minutes Past Meridian to Flip is set to 5, which conflict
with the Homing Limit of 2.0 Mins from Meridian. SGP use to be set to 0 Mins Past Meridian to Flip. Not sure
how this got changed. Normally I set to zero. I would use a negative number, but my understanding is that
negative values don't work.

Andrew

Andrew J

Hi Ray.

Thanks for the feedback. Good info on SGPro v4 allowing negative values. Also, your point about allow CW UP Slews is a good one. I think Luca made the same suggestion above. I am always reluctant to give external programs the ability to do CW Up Slews for fear of Pier Crashes. However, I guess as long as I keep the Homing Limits in place I should be OK.

Slightly off topic, but I do wish the Homing Limits were more like the meridian limits where you could specify different values for different DEC values. I use the Homing Limits as a "no fly zone", that no matter where a slew or tracking command comes from the mount will never get into a situation where a Pier Crash is emminant. Meridian Limits are great, except for the "Not Slew Limits" warning. I wish they they were slew limits as well. We could setup the limits one time when mounting a new scope and imaging train and the sleep well knowing there is no possible way for an errant slew or user error to cause the mount to slew or track into the Pier. For those of us who operate our rigs remotely, this would be a very nice feature....

Andrew J

Marcelo Figueroa

I'm in the same thing, trying to get SGP and APCC to work together on the meridian flip and I have a question.

Reviewing the different settings I see that Flip Offset allows to set a period of time to perform the flip before the meridian. My question is, is there any way to set an offset for after the meridian?

My problem is that if for example I set SGP to flip 10 minutes past the meridian, APCC has no idea of this and simply stops the mount when it reaches its own limit (which causes SGP to abort the session).

Maybe the Meridian Delay option is the answer, but I'm not sure about it  (or course, I'm doing something wrong).

Thanks,

George

Marcelo,

Out of curiosity, are you using the SGP v3 32 bit or the SGP v4 64 bit?

Regards,

George

George Whitney

Astro-Physics, Inc.