APCC virtual ports #APCC

joepetrick9@...

I disabled a virtual port in device manager on win 10 PC and now when i create ports in APCC it does create the ports in APCC but not in my device manager so I cannot connect to V2 . Does anyone know how i can enable virtual port i disabled. There is no port showing up in device manager so i cant enable it there. I have deleted and reloaded APCC and V2 and Ascom but no help . I have checked "enable virtual ports" when i reloaded APCC. Driving me nuts.   Thanks in advance Joe

ap@CaptivePhotons.com

@JoePetrick9 write:

  • I disabled a virtual port in device manager on win 10 PC and now when i create ports in APCC it does create the ports in APCC but not in my device manager so I cannot connect to V2 . Does anyone know how i can enable virtual port i disabled. There is no port showing up in device manager so i cant enable it there. I have deleted and reloaded APCC and V2 and Ascom but no help . I have checked "enable virtual ports" when i reloaded APCC. Driving me nuts.   Thanks in advance Joe

So… maybe.

This program:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

I find very useful for debugging USB issues.  It basically tells you everything Windows knows about every USB port it ever connected to (at least unless you clear some how).  Windows remembers stuff it does not show you; the intent is that reconnections should yield similar device information including COM port numbers.

I use it just to view, but it has tools to disable, enable, and remove connection information.  But at the least, it may let you find things.

Note the default display is REALLY wide, so you have to scroll way right at times to see certain info, like manufacturer, version, etc.

I’ve used it for years, it is “safe” in the sense there is nothing malicious, but it also has a certain amount of power, so use the options to change things carefully.

Linwood

Ray Gralak

Hi Joe,

It's hard to say what resulted by disabling the virtual port. If you uninstall APCC it will uninstall the Eltima virtual port driver. Then when reinstalling APCC, make sure to enable the checkbox to install the Eltima virtual driver again. This should put the virtual ports in the default state.

Note: the virtual ports that APCC creates only exist while APCC is running, so you won't see them in Device Manager when APCC is not active.

And, normally, you won't need to manually create the virtual ports. APCC will automatically allocate appropriate port numbers. And APCC will configure the ASCOM driver if "Auto-Config" is enabled in the AP V2 Driver group box, as shown here:

-Ray

Re USBDView - apologies, JoePetrick9, despite you saying "virtual" clearly, I was thinking USB ports, and didn't connect it until I saw Ray's answer.  This tool is worthless for the virtual ports created by APCC.   Save my note for the day you have a USB port/driver issue.   Apologies for the tangent.