APCC v1.9 and one-year renewal subscriptions #APCC

APCC v1.9 is now available for download at the following links and from the APCC Download Center of our website.

https://www.apastrosoftware.com/apcc_download/ApccStandardLatest.exe
https://www.apastrosoftware.com/apcc_download/ApccProLatest.exe

This version has several long-awaited and significant new features for APCC Pro:

  •          APCC Pro - Declination-Arc tracking algorithm. This new algorithm is an alternative to the normal all sky tracking model that APCC Pro uses.
  •          APCC Pro - APPM can use ASTAP for plate-solving.
  •          APCC Pro - APPM can use NINA for camera control.
  •          APCC Pro - For third-party satellite trackers, real-time RA/Dec can be returned using the :GRGD# command.

Complete Version History with all updates and bug fixes for APCC Standard and PRO versions:

https://www.astro-physics.info/tech_support/software/apcc/apcc-version-history.pdf

Many thanks to Dale Ghent and Ray Gralak for working together to add NINA camera control to APCC. We know that many APCC users have been very interested in NINA to improve their workflow.

Since the introduction of APCC years ago, our website has stated that we intended to offer a subscription renewal option after the first year for approximately 20% of the price.  Many of you have been using APCC for years without any extra charge as we added new features and refined our pointing model.  Many features were suggested by users to streamline their workflow, provide additional information or control, integrate with other complimentary software and to safeguard your system.

The time has now come for us to implement our subscription renewal program so that we can continue to develop new features that our users have requested.

If the date of your APCC license key is August 1, 2020 or later, all of the new features outlined in the version history will be activated when you install v1.9.

If the date of your APCC license key is earlier than August 1, 2020, only the bug fixes and minor updates will be activated. To activate all the new major features, you will need to purchase a one-year renewal subscription. When that process is complete, you will receive a new license that includes the renewal date.

Major points:

  •         Renewal is optional. Your current version of APCC will continue to operate as it always has.
  •         Everyone is entitled to the bug fixes and minor updates of v1.9 and all new versions going forward regardless of whether you renew your subscription or not. We encourage you to keep your software up-to-date.
  •         The process for obtaining the one-year subscription takes you to the DigitalRiver MyCommerce e-commerce website. It is available to you at your convenience and does not require contact with our office.

You probably have many questions about this new process. We have anticipated many of these and encourage you to visit the Order and FAQ tabs of the APCC page on our website. Please take a few moments to read that first before your posting questions here.

https://www.astro-physics.com/apcc

Thank you for supporting further development of APCC!!

--
Marj Christen
Astro-Physics

Chris White

Thanks Marj!

My breath caught when I saw your email as I am in the stowaway lottery... but this is also fantastic news!

Appreciate the work you all put into this. Thank you!

-Chris White
Chris R White Photography

www.whitephotogallery.com
www.astrobin.com/users/CRW_Photography/

[...]

W Hilmo

This is a difficult response for me to write.

I've been eagerly waiting for some of the new features that are included in this release.  But I'm incredibly disappointed with the change to the business model.

Please understand that this has nothing whatsoever to do with cost.  If you put all that great work into new features, and then called it APCC Pro v2, and set a $200 upgrade cost for the major version change, I would have already purchased it by now.  I absolutely support the fact that the folks that write software should be compensated.  I, myself, have made a very good living writing software.  It's allowed me to own your fine products and to retire while I am young enough to enjoy the freedom.  As such, I am familiar with the economics of software development more than most.

My problem is that I am *very* strongly opposed to any subscription model for software that runs local to my machine.  Note that this is different than paying a subscription cost, say, for content as with a streaming service.  My feelings on this are strong enough, that there are other astronomy software packages that I will never be able to use because I will not support the model.  There are even products from the company that I used to work for, that I will never use for this reason.

Until today, I have had nothing but good feelings about all of my interactions with Astro-Physics and your products.  Now, every time that I run APCC Pro, I'm going to be reminded of this subscription model.

I am very sorry to send this response, but I have enough respect for Astro-Physics that I feel that I should make my feelings known, as it affects my position as a customer.  I do not have any expectation that you will change your model over my feedback, but I needed to get it out there.

Thanks for listening,
-Wade

On 8/17/21 1:02 PM, Marj Christen wrote:

[...]

ap@CaptivePhotons.com

For clarity, can I ask about an example?   I read the FAQ and still unsure.

Example (and maybe my terms are wrong):   One buys a 1 year subscription to include V1.9 features.

At the end of the year, lacking renewal, do the 1.9 features stop working?

Or lacking renewal, you just don’t get 1.10 features if it comes out after the year boundary.

To me it’s a subscription only if 1.9 features stop working.  Otherwise it is sort of a prepaid support/upgrade agreement.

The flavor of the words in the FAQ imply it is the latter, which is not the kind of subscription model most people object to, where things just stop working.

Linwood

Karen Christen

Hello Linwood,

Using your example below, at the end of the year, lacking renewal, all 1.9 features will continue to work forever.  If 1.10 comes out after your 1-year boundary (which is different for each person), those features will not be activated without renewal.

Bug fixes and minor updates are available to everyone, all the time.

Thanks for asking!

Karen

AP

Re W Hilmo’s comments and subscriptions:

For clarity, can I ask about an example?   I read the FAQ and still unsure.

Example (and maybe my terms are wrong):   One buys a 1 year subscription to include V1.9 features.

At the end of the year, lacking renewal, do the 1.9 features stop working?

Or lacking renewal, you just don’t get 1.10 features if it comes out after the year boundary.

To me it’s a subscription only if 1.9 features stop working.  Otherwise it is sort of a prepaid support/upgrade agreement.

The flavor of the words in the FAQ imply it is the latter, which is not the kind of subscription model most people object to, where things just stop working.

Linwood

--
Karen Christen

Linwood,

It's even better than what you wrote. :-)

Yes, the v1.9 features will continue to work even if you do not continue to subscribe. Also, even if you don't purchase a subscription, you can still install and run 1.9 and future 1.x versions and you'll get any bug fixes in those versions.

So, the only thing you are actually paying for is any new v1.9 features and also new features introduced up to a year later after the purchase date.

I hope this makes sense?

-Ray

Re W Hilmo’s comments and subscriptions:

For clarity, can I ask about an example? I read the FAQ and still unsure.

Example (and maybe my terms are wrong): One buys a 1 year subscription to include V1.9 features.

At the end of the year, lacking renewal, do the 1.9 features stop working?

Or lacking renewal, you just don’t get 1.10 features if it comes out after the year boundary.

To me it’s a subscription only if 1.9 features stop working. Otherwise it is sort of a prepaid support/upgrade
agreement.

The flavor of the words in the FAQ imply it is the latter, which is not the kind of subscription model most people
object to, where things just stop working.

Linwood

Karen Christen

Hi Wade,

Thanks for your feedback.  We debated long and hard about this topic and understand your reservations.  Ultimately this was the model we felt was most fair and sustainable.

By the way, appreciate you, as well!  😉

Karen

AP

[...]

You can continue to use the version that you have forever, without a subscription. All the new features that we developed took a lot of people a lot of effort over the last 2 years. As the state of the art of astronomical imaging advances, we are advancing with it. And it isn't cheap or easy keeping up with you guys. APCC Pro is now incredibly powerful and accurate, just ask George who spent 3 days last week imaging until dawn without ever turning on his guiding software. (hey George, when are you going to process those images?).

I've spent most clear nights this year working with both our 1600 and our Mach2 mounts doing imaging-testing with various scopes, and these new functions work great. Ray has worked tirelessly on developing this program and Marj and others have spent all their spare time bringing it all together. When i mean all their spare time, I mean that Marj worked all thru our vacation, and every day including Saturdays and Sundays for the last 2 years.

[...]

It’s more like an (optional) recurring maintenance fee that allows you perpetual rights to the upgrades that come out in that time frame.

Personally I find nothing objectionable to that model.  Free is better, but free is unsustainable.  I certainly want you sustained.

Thanks for clarifying.

Linwood

Re W Hilmo’s comments and subscriptions:

For clarity, can I ask about an example?   I read the FAQ and still unsure.

Example (and maybe my terms are wrong):   One buys a 1 year subscription to include V1.9 features.

At the end of the year, lacking renewal, do the 1.9 features stop working?

Or lacking renewal, you just don’t get 1.10 features if it comes out after the year boundary.

To me it’s a subscription only if 1.9 features stop working.  Otherwise it is sort of a prepaid support/upgrade agreement.

The flavor of the words in the FAQ imply it is the latter, which is not the kind of subscription model most people object to, where things just stop working.

Linwood

--
Karen Christen
Astro-Physics

This is great news and a great deal - thanks Marj and Team

Brian

On Tue, Aug 17, 2021 at 1:02 PM Marj Christen <marj@...> wrote:

[...]

Brian Valente

Marcelo Figueroa

What about APCC Pro/APPM that comes included with the purchase of a mount, such as the Mach2?. I don't see anything mentioned about it in the FAQ.

Thanks,

Karen Christen

Hello Marcelo,

The one-year renewal subscription applies to all APCC licenses, whether included with a mount or purchased separately.  Does that answer your question?

Karen

AP