APCC to slew to target with cw-up position

drgert1

Hello All,

In the wonderful AP handbox there is a setting to shift the meridian east or west. This great option allows me to slew to a target in cw-up condition.
How can I do the same in APCC? I.e. I've looked through the boxes and settings names at the various APCC tabs but couldn't find anything like "Meridian Offset".
Let's assume I really really want that, and think that I really really know what I'm doing.

Thanks & Clear Skies,
Gert

Ray Gralak

You can find that setting on the meridian limits tab. Please read the help file for more information. There are also some videos available but I don’t have the links handy. Please try using a web search.

-Ray

In the wonderful AP handbox there is a setting to shift the meridian east or west. This great option allows me to
slew to a target in cw-up condition.
How can I do the same in APCC? I.e. I've looked through the boxes and settings names at the various APCC tabs
but couldn't find anything like "Meridian Offset".
Let's assume I really really want that, and think that I really really know what I'm doing.

Thanks & Clear Skies,
Gert

drgert1

Hi Ray,

Thanks for the great pointers. I've already read the pages once, understood a little and hope additional reading will help.

What's the canonical way to test this? I.e. what tool to issue a 'goto Antares' command to communicate through the chain of APCC  and driver (is the driver actually still in the chain in this case?) to the mount and then see it slew there into cw-up condition??

Thanks & Clear Skies,
Gert

Ray Gralak

Hi Gert,

What's the canonical way to test this? I.e. what tool to issue a 'goto Antares' command to communicate through
the chain of APCC and driver (is the driver actually still in the chain in this case?) to the mount and then see it
slew there into cw-up condition??
Any planetarium program would work, or you can enter Antares coordinates on APCC's "Goto/ReCal" tab.

If the planetarium program has an ASCOM interface, you can connect to the AP V2 ASCOM driver and it will connect to one of APCC's virtual ports.

Suppose the planetarium program does not have an ASCOM interface, but can talk to the mount directly via the A-P mount protocol. In that case, you could create a third virtual COM port in APCC and connect the planetarium application to the mount via that virtual COM port.

-Ray

drgert1

Hi Ray & Group,

I've tried understanding the docs on meridian setting and interpreting that the set meridian will also control the goal to slew (from anywhere) to a target with the mount ending up in the CW up position. I pushed the meridian to about 2hrs west (right). BTW is there a way to push this in one setting? (I felt awkward drawing a squiggly line freehand with the mouse at the desired hour angle)

I chose Antares which at the time was about 1hr past (west) of meridian. So a meridian shift of 2hrs west should be enough to cause a slew to Antares ending with the scope on the west of the pier and the mount in CW up position. I made a screen recording showing that my setup failed to accomplish the desired outcome.

https://www.skywatcher.space/download/APCC_Meridian_Cwup_Slew_20220827_193832_800.mp4

I must be missing something simple. Please help resolve the issue.

Thanks & Clear Skies,
Gert

Ray Gralak

Gert,

From your video, it doesn’t look like you have Meridian tracking limits enabled, nor counterweight up slews within West and East Limits.

You definitely will not get any counterweight-up slews with all of the options disabled. J

Perhaps until you better understand the options,  use the Meridian delay groupbox I have identified in this screenshot:

-Ray

drgert1

Hi Ray,

Thank you! This worked for me. It is only worth noting that first the mount has to be connected. Prior the 'Set' button is greyed out. Maybe some little popup 'Connect mount first' would be helpful.

With the setting of 2hrs west I was able to use the planetarium program to slew to past-meridian Antares (from an arbitrary other pointing) and end up with the mount in cw-up position and Antares in the eyepiece. This is a great result. Thank you for the help. We can close this discussion.

Thanks & Clear Skies,
Gert

Ray Gralak

Thank you! This worked for me. It is only worth noting that first the mount has to be connected. Prior the 'Set'
button is greyed out. Maybe some little popup 'Connect mount first' would be helpful.
Great, I am glad that worked!

When you use the full-featured meridian limits, the mount's meridian delay is automatically set, but the feature in the group box I showed you requires the mount to be connected, and you must press the Set button to execute. That is, it operates like the same feature in the driver.

-Ray

Bill Long

Nice support here, Ray. 🙂