APCC Temperature readings

S Berrada

Hi

I expect to receive my AP1100 within the next month.
I am doing some reading to prepare.

APCC pointing model requires temperature.
I have 2 devices which provide temperature: a) Pegasus PPB; b) Optec Focuser

My question is whether APCC can read these temperatures.

I know that there are devices like mgbox, but I a, trying to avoid adding another device.

Please let me know if this can be done.

As well, there are other environmental readings such as RH and pressure but not sure how important these are.

Thanks
Sam

Dale Ghent

Install and use the PPB's Observing Conditions driver (available at https://pegasusastro.com/downloads/) and you can use that as a source of temperature and humidity in APCC. You need to run the PPB's console app at the same tme for the driver to be able to read the temperature and humidity data.

On Sep 27, 2021, at 10:51, S Berrada <sberrada19@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi

I expect to receive my AP1100 within the next month.
I am doing some reading to prepare.

APCC pointing model requires temperature.
I have 2 devices which provide temperature: a) Pegasus PPB; b) Optec Focuser

My question is whether APCC can read these temperatures.

I know that there are devices like mgbox, but I a, trying to avoid adding another device.

Please let me know if this can be done.

As well, there are other environmental readings such as RH and pressure but not sure how important these are.

Thanks
Sam

Sébastien Doré

Hi Sam,

In addition to what Dale said, you might want to take a look at this post : https://ap-gto.groups.io/g/main/message/78579 and maybe to the whole thread on this subject.

Using OCH you can retrieve both atmospheric pressure and RH (which are relevant to the APPC modeling feature) from a free online service provider (OpenWeatherMap) without adding any sensor. The fetched data can then be used and mixed with your current temp sensor using the ASCOM Observing Conditions Hub (OCH). That'll work only if you have internet access from your location, obviously.

Hope this helps.

Clear skies!
Sébastien

S Berrada

Hi Dale and Sebastien- thank you so much, this is very helpful.

I can see how temperature is important for the APCC model, but does anyone have an idea of how important barometric pressure or RH are ?

Thanks
sam

Tom Blahovici

Hi
Not only that, but I have an MGBox V2 and a Sensorpush high accuracy sensor for temperature and there is a three degree difference between them....

S Berrada

Hi,

Based on my limited research, it seems that temperature will have a bigger impact on refraction than barometric pressure - this is because of the magnitude and rapidity of change.

Both are important to input in APCC, but accurate temperature seems the most important.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmospheric_refraction

Refraction increases approximately 1% for every 0.9 kPa increase in pressure.  Similarly, refraction increases approximately 1% for every 3 °C decrease in temperature