From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of psparkman via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, March 8, 2022 5:41 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: [ap-gto] APCC Pro Unexpected Error Quitting when connecting to AP V2 ASCOM #APCC
#ASCOM_V2_Driver #APCC

Everything has been running great with my AP1100, APCC Pro v1.9.4.3, AP 5.5.03, ASCOM Platform 6.6
Windows 10 Pro setup. Today, it did an update to 2022-2 Cumulative Update 21H2 from 2022-1. It did the update
and rebooted. Now, when I tried to connect to use the rig tonight, I get the following error when I hit the connect
to AP V2 button. It connects to the mount, but not ASCOM. When I try to connect through ASCOM using NINA, I
get the same error. I noticed that it also did an update to 2022-2 .NET framework 3.5. So could these updates
have caused this issue?

psparkman@...

Ok, I do connect to that computer using Windows Remote Desktop on my local network and I am the only one using it right now, and have never seen anything like this before.  In fact, I have never had an issue with APCC at all on three different computers.  I removed in using Google Remote and get the same thing.  I can hook up directly, but it is going to do the same thing.  What else can I do to trouble shoot?

psparkman@...

Here is the log file.

psparkman@...

As I expected, it had nothing to do with Remote Desktop.  It had the exact same error when using it directly.  I uninstalled APCC, AP, and ASCOM.  Then reinstalled them, and now everything works as it did before.  Most likely it did have something to do with the updates.

Marcelo Figueroa

On Tue, Mar 8, 2022 at 07:57 PM, Ray Gralak wrote:
I doubt it is was the Windows Update. The error means that all command slots to the mount have been used and APCC has been unable to process the responses. Usually this happens when APCC's user interface cannot update fast enough. If you were remoted into that computer it could be that there was a lot of network traffic blocking the remote desktop from updating.
From time to time I get the same error, but not a quit, but a failure in SGP. I control the capture PC remotely from my Mac and I like to have a permanent window showing me what is going on, sometimes by the way this connection is very slow.

Is it a good idea then to let the capture pc run on its own and just connect remotely to it from time to time, take a look and disconnect?

Thanks,

Ray Gralak

The log file shows the connection did not time out, so whatever caused the error in your screenshot did not repeat.

However, the ASCOM driver shows an error message connecting, so it is likely you need to reinstall it. This could happen if the driver or registry became corrupted because of a disk error.

-Ray

As I expected, it had nothing to do with Remote Desktop.
The issue you posted likely was caused by remote desktop. The log you attached did not repeat that issue.

It had the exact same error when using it directly. I
uninstalled APCC, AP, and ASCOM. Then reinstalled them, and now everything works as it did before.
Most likely it did have something to do with the updates.
The driver issue is probably unrelated to the Windows update. If the .NET Framework was the issue then reinstalling the driver would not have made a difference as the newer version of .NET would be used both before and after reinstalling. Something else likely happened, possibly a file or file-system corruption.

That said, it's possible the Windows update happened to trigger the corruption. Are you using an SSD? If so, which model? Occasionally there have been reports of corruption in SSDs, even with name brands like Samsung.

-Ray

As I expected, it had nothing to do with Remote Desktop. It had the exact same error when using it directly. I
uninstalled APCC, AP, and ASCOM. Then reinstalled them, and now everything works as it did before. Most
likely it did have something to do with the updates.

Ray Gralak

> Everything has been running great with my AP1100, APCC Pro v1.9.4.3, AP 5.5.03, ASCOM Platform 6.6

> Windows 10 Pro setup.  Today, it did an update to 2022-2 Cumulative Update 21H2 from 2022-1.  It did the update

> and rebooted.  Now, when I tried to connect to use the rig tonight, I get the following error when I hit the connect

> to AP V2 button.  It connects to the mount, but not ASCOM.  When I try to connect through ASCOM using NINA, I

> get the same error.

As a follow-up, I updated my development system to the latest feature update to 21H2 this morning. Afterward, there was no problem running APCC 1.9.2.3 nor AP V2 5.50.03.

In looking at the Windows update history on my computer, 2022-01 and 2022-02 had been installed previously (see screenshot below). I run/test APCC/driver almost daily, and no problems have been observed running them.

>  I noticed that it also did an update to 2022-2 .NET framework 3.5.

I don’t see a 2022-02 .NET Framework 3.5 in my computer’s update history, but neither APCC nor the ASCOM driver use .NET 3.5. In fact, the AP V2 ASCOM driver does not use any version of the .NET Framework.

> So could these updates have caused this issue?

I don’t think so, but as I mentioned in a previous post, lots of file activity might have produced random disk file corruption. I admit it is a long shot, but still a possibility since the Windows update(s) doesn’t appear to cause a problem.

-Ray

-Ray