Topics

APCC Pro / GOTO CP$ firmware upgrade #APCC

George LaBelle

I upgraded  APCC Pro, since it was telling me to.
I did not upgrade the firmware in the CP4, since this can be tricky business and I avoid unless necessary.

Now I cannot connect to the mount because the firmware is downgraded from the new APCC and APCC drops me.

So do I have to reinstall the older APCC Pro, then upgrade the CP4 firmware, then upgrade APCC Pro once again?
I have APCC Pro v 1.8.3.1. Will this suffice?

--
George
Prineville, Oregon

Konstantin von Poschinger

Hi George,

the Firmware update is a separate program. You need Java for that and it works best with the LAN connection.

Konstantin

Konstantin v. Poschinger

Hammerichstr. 5
22605 Hamburg
040/8805747
0171 1983476

Am 25.10.2020 um 14:35 schrieb George LaBelle <george.labelle@...>:

I upgraded  APCC Pro, since it was telling me to.
I did not upgrade the firmware in the CP4, since this can be tricky business and I avoid unless necessary.

Now I cannot connect to the mount because the firmware is downgraded from the new APCC and APCC drops me.

So do I have to reinstall the older APCC Pro, then upgrade the CP4 firmware, then upgrade APCC Pro once again?

--
George
Prineville, Oregon

Ray Gralak

Hi George,

the new APCC and APCC drops me.
What do you mean that APCC drops you?

Also, which mount and firmware version(s) are giving you trouble?

BTW, the firmware message in APCC is just a warning. Even though earlier versions of APCC did not warn about the firmware version, that doesn't mean that you should not update to the latest firmware available.

-Ray Gralak
Author of PEMPro
Author of APCC (Astro-Physics Command Center): https://www.astro-physics.com/apcc-pro
Author of Astro-Physics V2 ASCOM Driver: https://www.siriusimaging.com/apdriver

-----Original Message-----
From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of George LaBelle
Sent: Sunday, October 25, 2020 6:35 AM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: [ap-gto] APCC Pro / GOTO CP$ firmware upgrade #APCC #APCC

I upgraded APCC Pro, since it was telling me to.

Now I cannot connect to the mount because the firmware is downgraded from the new APCC and APCC drops
me.

So do I have to reinstall the older APCC Pro, then upgrade the CP4 firmware, then upgrade APCC Pro once
again?

--
George
Prineville, Oregon

George LaBelle

I got it to work, but...

I had firmware 11. Last night, it gave a big message, front and center, about outdated firmware, and that it was shutting down in 30 Sec. (or some such).
Only tried once.
Today, the message was in the corner, but allowed me to connect?!

I uploaded pt1 and then pt2. However, on page 10 of the "field_CP4_...pdf, it says that after loading pt2, I should see "preparing unit...", followed by "Running new program". (why I hesitate to upgrade firmware, unless necessary, something can go wrong). I only got "File OK" and "Download OK", and the bar was filled in blue. I went back to main and it reported the correct "14" version. Disconnected the Enet and reconnected USB. Correct version is reported in APCC, and it seems to be working. WHEW!

--
George
Prineville, Oregon

Joseph Beyer

I have the same concerns. I’ve upgraded the firmware in my CP4 a couple times and every time it appears to hang.  There’s never any confirmation the upload is complete or the process is done. I’ve waited on mine a long while and all that remains is the blue bar.  Each time I’ve done it I thought I was interrupting the process but everything seems ok afterwards. 

On Oct 25, 2020, at 10:25 AM, George LaBelle <george.labelle@...> wrote:

I got it to work, but...

I had firmware 11. Last night, it gave a big message, front and center, about outdated firmware, and that it was shutting down in 30 Sec. (or some such).
Only tried once.

I uploaded pt1 and then pt2. However, on page 10 of the "field_CP4_...pdf, it says that after loading pt2, I should see "preparing unit...", followed by "Running new program". (why I hesitate to upgrade firmware, unless necessary, something can go wrong). I only got "File OK" and "Download OK", and the bar was filled in blue. I went back to main and it reported the correct "14" version. Disconnected the Enet and reconnected USB. Correct version is reported in APCC, and it seems to be working. WHEW!

--
George
Prineville, Oregon

Roland Christen

I only got "File OK" and "Download OK", and the bar was filled in blue.
Yes, this is correct.

Rolando

Sent: Sun, Oct 25, 2020 12:25 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] APCC Pro / GOTO CP$ firmware upgrade #APCC #APCC

I got it to work, but...

Only tried once.

--
George
Prineville, Oregon

Roland Christen

I’ve waited on mine a long while and all that remains is the blue bar.
When the blue bar is filled, the program has successfully downloaded.

Rolando

Sent: Sun, Oct 25, 2020 12:35 pm

I have the same concerns. I’ve upgraded the firmware in my CP4 a couple times and every time it appears to hang.  There’s never any confirmation the upload is complete or the process is done. I’ve waited on mine a long while and all that remains is the blue bar.  Each time I’ve done it I thought I was interrupting the process but everything seems ok afterwards. 

On Oct 25, 2020, at 10:25 AM, George LaBelle <george.labelle@...> wrote:

I got it to work, but...

Only tried once.

--
George
Prineville, Oregon

Ray Gralak

Hi George,

I had firmware 11. Last night, it gave a big message, front and center, about outdated
firmware, and that it was shutting down in 30 Sec. (or some such).
It sounds like you have APCC configured to Auto-shutdown in Advanced settings.

This will cause APCC to shut down after you disconnect all applications (including the AP V2 driver) from APCC's virtual ports.

However, APCC will not shut down because of an outdated GTOCP4 firmware version.

-Ray Gralak
Author of PEMPro
Author of APCC (Astro-Physics Command Center): https://www.astro-physics.com/apcc-pro
Author of Astro-Physics V2 ASCOM Driver: https://www.siriusimaging.com/apdriver

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of George LaBelle
Sent: Sunday, October 25, 2020 10:25 AM

I got it to work, but...

I had firmware 11. Last night, it gave a big message, front and center, about outdated firmware, and that it was
shutting down in 30 Sec. (or some such).
Only tried once.

I uploaded pt1 and then pt2. However, on page 10 of the "field_CP4_...pdf, it says that after loading pt2, I should
see "preparing unit...", followed by "Running new program". (why I hesitate to upgrade firmware, unless
necessary, something can go wrong). I only got "File OK" and "Download OK", and the bar was filled in blue. I
went back to main and it reported the correct "14" version. Disconnected the Enet and reconnected USB. Correct
version is reported in APCC, and it seems to be working. WHEW!

--
George
Prineville, Oregon

George LaBelle

Ok. Looks like the documentation "Field_CP4_Download_browser" Needs to be updated! When things don't go as the documentation, panic sets in and the heart rate goes high and the sweats start!
--
George
Prineville, Oregon

Roland Christen

Here is what it looks like:

Sent: Sun, Oct 25, 2020 1:08 pm

Ok. Looks like the documentation "Field_CP4_Download_browser" Needs to be updated! When things don't go as the documentation, panic sets in and the heart rate goes high and the sweats start!
--
George
Prineville, Oregon

Roland Christen

I will review the documentation with our software engineer and clear up any discrepancy. Take me a day or two.

For now: loading Part 1 is not really required since that portion has never changed and really is not the controlling software inside the CP unit. It can be safely left as is. Load only Part2 and this will update all the internal controlling software. Everything is in Part2.

Rolando

Sent: Sun, Oct 25, 2020 1:08 pm

--
George
Prineville, Oregon

George LaBelle

I do not get that screen. As another poster said, waited for at least a full minute. "Running new program" never showed up!
--
George
Prineville, Oregon

michaeljhanson@...

Gents,

When we test the download process it is done with several combinations of browsers and operating systems.  Obviously, it is not possible to test all possible combinations.  So, it may help to understand three things:
1) What browser and version are you using
2) What OS are you using
3) How is the PC connected to the unit (does the Ethernet cable connect directly to your PC, or to your residential network?)
Not blaming any other software here, merely looking for a way to reproduce your symptoms.

Thanks and Regards,
Mike Hanson

Roland Christen

I do not get that screen.
Load Part2 last and you will get that screen.

Rolando

Sent: Sun, Oct 25, 2020 2:35 pm

I do not get that screen. As another poster said, waited for at least a full minute. "Running new program" never showed up!
--
George
Prineville, Oregon

George LaBelle

On Mon, Oct 26, 2020 at 09:26 AM, uncarollo2 <chris1011@...> wrote:
Load Part2 last and you will get that screen.

Rolando
  I did!

Browser: Chrome.
PC was directly wire connected with CAT6 cable.

--
George
Prineville, Oregon

Nick Iversen

The documentation Field_CP4_Download-browser.pdf doesn't mention what to do with the .wif file so mentioning that would be a good idea in the documentation review.