Topics

APCC on a two-user Win10pro PC

David Churchill

I want to install APCC at my remote observing site. The PC is a two user PC so that two of us can use the scope independently at their assigned times. It’s setup and running well with the AP V2 Driver, but I want to now install APCC-Std and so wanted to check if this has been tested/used in the manner I am intending? – AP1600GTO/CP4 (although I’m not sure the specific mount matters here?)

Has anyone out there installed APCC on a single machine with two user accounts with both having access to run it as a complete imaging system? If so was there anything special that was needed? Or does the install on one user become enabled for the other user?

Maybe this is a question for Ray? One concern is with the virtual ports. Having enabled them on the one user, will they become available for the other? Do I need to setup virtual ports for both independently?

Any experience, insights and/or guidance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

David

--

David Churchill

Email:          dachurchill@...
Astro Images:   http://www.skyimager.net

Ray Gralak

Edited

David,

Unfortunately, APCC stores settings in the same place for both users, so using it in this manner would be impossible, or at best,
extremely inconvenient.

Also, you cannot run more than one instance of APCC at the same time, even from different accounts, as the settings would become
mixed and produce indeterminate behavior.

-Ray Gralak
Author of PEMPro

[...]

Email: dachurchill@cox.net <mailto:dachurchill@cox.net>
Astro Images: http://www.skyimager.net <http://www.skyimager.net>

David Churchill

Unfortunately, APCC stores settings in the same place for both users, so using it in this manner would be impossible, or at best,
extremely inconvenient.

Also, you cannot run more than one instance of APCC at the same time, even from different accounts, as the settings would become
mixed and produce indeterminate behavior.

Ray,

Thanks for this.

The two accounts are for the two of us to use the scopes at different times, as such they would never be used concurrently and because they are controlling the exact same mount hardware the settings would be the same. Would this make it feasible?

Obviously I’m still concerned with the virtual ports… If created by one user would they carry over to the other user given that they are at the OS level? (I believe??)… any thoughts on this aspect also?

Many thanks

David

--

David Churchill

Email:          dachurchill@...
Astro Images:   http://www.skyimager.net

Ray Gralak

David,

The two accounts are for the two of us to use the scopes at different times, as such they would never be used
concurrently and because they are controlling the exact same mount hardware the settings would be the same. Would
this make it feasible?
You probably could get this to work, but I would not recommend it.

And since this is not a supported configuration, if there are any problems we might not be able to help. Note that this also affects
the AP V2 ASCOM driver settings. Even things like the park position, meridian limits, pointing models, etc. are all in one folder
location, and are thus shared by all login accounts.

That being said, we could look into changing the folder locations so that APCC could support independent installations for different
login accounts on the same computer.

Obviously I'm still concerned with the virtual ports. If created by one user would they carry over to the other user
given that they are at the OS level? (I believe??). any thoughts on this aspect also?
No need to worry; the virtual ports will be exactly the same for both accounts, as the port numbers are read from a common settings
file and are created at APCC runtime and destroyed when APCC exits.

-Ray Gralak
Author of PEMPro

[...]

Thanks again for the information. This really helps.

It looks like I am in uncharted waters . Therefore the most prudent approach is for me to setup a test system at my home and try it out and see how it performs. Certainly not something to try on a remote (and inaccessible) setup for sure 😊.

I’ll let you know how it goes.

Kind regards

David