APCC / model

Craig Young

Is there a method for APCC to load a DEC Arc model, either automatically, or from a remote command?  For example, I have 4 targets, each has its own DEC ARC model which is saved in a folder with the targets name.  Currently, when I slew to one of the targets I have to manually go to APCC and load the model.  What I would like is either a) when the telescope is slewed to a new location in the sky (farther than n degrees from last target), APCC searches for a DEC ARC model that matches closest to the new location slewed to, or b) have a 3rd party application send a command to APCC (e.g., through a virtual COM port) to load the new model.
Craig

There is an option to do this via NINA, but as a general feature, i am not aware of a way to do this automatically for any software package

Brian

--
Brian

Brian Valente

Dale Ghent

Well, to be precise:

NINA has the ability to drive APPM via APPM's own API and make a *new* model for a given target; but taking an *existing* .pnt file (the model definition file that APPM creates with each run) and loading that into APCC as the active model, isn't in APCC as public API... yet. Obviously, APPM does it but I don't believe the mechanism it uses is meant for public consumption - Ray would need to weigh in on those specifics, though.

One thing that has been on my list for a while is to figure out a scheme that allows one to catalog existing models by what they cover and their age, and automatically select and load in ones that aren't too old and cover the portion of the sky you're interested in. But then I realize that I doing a reasonably-detailed dec-arc model doesn't soak up a whole lot of time and the time-cost of creating a fresh one isn't a deal breaker.

On Mon, Jan 10, 2022 at 1:01 PM Craig Young <craig.young.m8@gmail.com> wrote:
Is there a method for APCC to load a DEC Arc model, either automatically, or from a remote command? For example, I have 4 targets, each has its own DEC ARC model which is saved in a folder with the targets name. Currently, when I slew to one of the targets I have to manually go to APCC and load the model. What I would like is either a) when the telescope is slewed to a new location in the sky (farther than n degrees from last target), APCC searches for a DEC ARC model that matches closest to the new location slewed to, or b) have a 3rd party application send a command to APCC (e.g., through a virtual COM port) to load the new model.
Craig

--
Brian

Brian Valente
portfolio brianvalentephotography.com

Ray Gralak

Hi Craig,

Yes, there is, but it would need to have the Tracking Rate correction and Dec Arc options enabled because the command I will give you below will not turn them on.

Is there a method for APCC to load a DEC Arc model, either automatically, or from a remote command?
This is from memory, but send this serial port command:

:ZZ03,<PNT_filename>#

Replace <PNT_filename> with the full path filename of the PNT file.

You can send this via ASCOM like this (leading colon and trailing # are sent by the driver). The "scope" variable is the COM interop instance to the AP V2 driver.

mount.CommandString("ZZ03,C:/test.pnt")

If successful, "1#" without quotes will be returned.

If you have trouble, contact me via direct email.

-Ray

Is there a method for APCC to load a DEC Arc model, either automatically, or from a remote command? For
example, I have 4 targets, each has its own DEC ARC model which is saved in a folder with the targets name.
Currently, when I slew to one of the targets I have to manually go to APCC and load the model. What I would
like is either a) when the telescope is slewed to a new location in the sky (farther than n degrees from last
target), APCC searches for a DEC ARC model that matches closest to the new location slewed to, or b) have
a 3rd party application send a command to APCC (e.g., through a virtual COM port) to load the new model.
Craig

Eric Weiner

But then I realize that I doing a reasonably-detailed dec-arc model doesn't soak up a whole lot of time and the time-cost of creating a fresh one isn't a deal breaker.
This is most definitely true.  Even a relatively tight 130 point dec-arc model only takes my Mach2 ~45minutes to complete, which can easily be done shortly after the start of early evening nautical twilight.

Eric

Craig Young

Hi Ray,
Excellent, exactly what I needed.  My application does interact with the V2 driver so I will use that method to load the model.

Eric, the reason I need this feature is because my 4 targets are part of my photometry research with the same 4 stars observed throughout the year.  It would not be practical for me to build a new model each night before a run so I make one set of models and then load them each run.  I have some metrics which show me at the end of a run how the model performed and if it drifts too far off due to changes in the mount or optics then I replace the model with a new one.

I am currently using Voyager to manage the night run but have been looking at Nina.  I developed an extensive script in Voyager to do all the things I needed and to date NINA does not provide all the script commands required.  But maybe one day it will, the guys are making great progress over there.  Dale's integration of NINA and APCC is the main draw card.  Just need to get some additional scripting functions.

Craig