APCC GPS Error

David Fabrizio

All,

 I am trying to connect a U-Blox7 GPS to v1.8.8.0 of APCC and I get this error message:

UpdateLocation. Index and length must refer to a location within the string. Parameter name: Length.

 The gps is on com7. Any ideas?

Thank you

Dave Fabrizio

Ray Gralak

Hi David,

UpdateLocation. Index and length must refer to a location within the string. Parameter name: Length.
That means there was an error parsing the response from the device. It could be that the data received was corrupted, or in an unrecognized format. If the error persists, it could be device's response is not in a standard format, or maybe the wrong baud rate is selected.

-Ray Gralak
Author of PEMPro

I am trying to connect a U-Blox7 GPS to v1.8.8.0 of APCC and I get this error message:

UpdateLocation. Index and length must refer to a location within the string. Parameter name: Length.

The gps is on com7. Any ideas?

Thank you

Dave Fabrizio

David Fabrizio

Ray,

 Thank you. I’ll try a few different baud rates and see what happens.

On Jan 3, 2021, at 6:26 PM, David Fabrizio via groups.io <DavFab@...> wrote:

All,

 I am trying to connect a U-Blox7 GPS to v1.8.8.0 of APCC and I get this error message:

UpdateLocation. Index and length must refer to a location within the string. Parameter name: Length.

 The gps is on com7. Any ideas?

Thank you

Dave Fabrizio

Dale Ghent

The standard MNEA bit rate is 4800. My own ublox7 works fine at that.

/dale

On Jan 4, 2021, at 5:15 AM, David Fabrizio via groups.io <DavFab@...> wrote:

Ray,

 Thank you. I’ll try a few different baud rates and see what happens.

On Jan 3, 2021, at 6:26 PM, David Fabrizio via groups.io <DavFab@...> wrote:

All,

 I am trying to connect a U-Blox7 GPS to v1.8.8.0 of APCC and I get this error message:

UpdateLocation. Index and length must refer to a location within the string. Parameter name: Length.

 The gps is on com7. Any ideas?

Thank you

Dave Fabrizio

David Fabrizio

Thank you! I’ll try 4800.

On Jan 4, 2021, at 5:41 AM, Dale Ghent <daleg@...> wrote:

The standard MNEA bit rate is 4800. My own ublox7 works fine at that.

/dale

On Jan 4, 2021, at 5:15 AM, David Fabrizio via groups.io <DavFab@...> wrote:

Ray,

 Thank you. I’ll try a few different baud rates and see what happens.

On Jan 3, 2021, at 6:26 PM, David Fabrizio via groups.io <DavFab@...> wrote:

All,

 I am trying to connect a U-Blox7 GPS to v1.8.8.0 of APCC and I get this error message:

UpdateLocation. Index and length must refer to a location within the string. Parameter name: Length.

 The gps is on com7. Any ideas?

Thank you

Dave Fabrizio

David Fabrizio

 What I’ve found is that the baud rate doesn’t matter. I have to plug in the GPS and wait until it starts up, then bring up APCC. Apparently, if I bring up APCC first, it keeps the GPS from obtaining a com port.

On Monday, January 4, 2021, 2:57 PM, David Fabrizio via groups.io <DavFab@...> wrote:

[...]

It might seem like that, but no. That's not what's happening.

In APCC, the GPS tab shows the ports available when APCC was initialized. If you plug in the GPS after APCC starts, APCC will not automatically know about the new virtual COM port created by the GPS.

So, even though the GPS creates a new virtual port, APCC won't show it in it's COM port list. That is, unless you click the "Refresh Ports" button in APCC's Connection group box. However, the "Refresh Ports" button can only be clicked when APCC is not connected to the mount.

-Ray Gralak
Author of PEMPro

What I've found is that the baud rate doesn't matter. I have to plug in the GPS and wait until it starts up, then
bring up APCC. Apparently, if I bring up APCC first, it keeps the GPS from obtaining a com port.

<https://overview.mail.yahoo.com/?.src=iOS>

On Monday, January 4, 2021, 2:57 PM, David Fabrizio via groups.io <DavFab=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Thank you! I'll try 4800.