APCC fast what if

Shailesh Trivedi

I am trying to image SH2-129 (Squid Nebula) but my permanent  pier with AP1100AE is in my backyard and the nebula is due north east where my house occludes it until the wee hours.

Is there a way to find out via APCC or some other means when my scope on AP1100 will clear my house (that is what time in the wee hours of the morning) so I can program a start time in SGPro?

Shailesh

ap@CaptivePhotons.com

On Wed, Jun 1, 2022 at 12:47 PM, Shailesh Trivedi wrote:
Is there a way to find out via APCC or some other means when my scope on AP1100 will clear my house (that is what time in the wee hours of the morning) so I can program a start time in SGPro?
Slew to the DEC involved in the daytime and a RA that puts you above the house, and take images slewing east until the house occludes, that gives you the altitude of the house.  Probably add 5 degrees or so to prevent edge/heat effects from having an impact, and set SGP to not start until target rises above that altitude (which you can read off APCC).  That's assuming SCP does that kind of thing, NINA does, I don't speak SGP.  Or if it has the ability to enter a custom horizon you can use that as the house horizon altitude.  Altitude/Horizons are absolute and won't change night to night, but if you need a time of day, Telescopius has a pretty good readout for altitude vs time.

Maybe it's a florida thing (hotter here) but I find I need to get pretty far above the roof (concrete tiles in my case) before seeing settles down, I think rising heat from the daytime sun. 

Roland Christen

You can set your planetarium program time fast forward to see at what time the object will clear your house.

Roland Christen

-----Original Message-----
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Wed, Jun 1, 2022 11:47 am
Subject: [ap-gto] APCC fast what if

I am trying to image SH2-129 (Squid Nebula) but my permanent  pier with AP1100AE is in my backyard and the nebula is due north east where my house occludes it until the wee hours.

Shailesh

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Shailesh Trivedi

Roland,

I tried that last night but the scope's altitude and az did not change even though I know it crosses the meridien at 5am, which is too close to sunrise.

Shailesh

Roland Christen

Not sure that you understand. Just advance the time of your planetarium program and look at the planetarium map to see when the object is far enough west.

Rolando

Sent: Wed, Jun 1, 2022 12:02 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] APCC fast what if

Roland,

I tried that last night but the scope's altitude and az did not change even though I know it crosses the meridien at 5am, which is too close to sunrise.

Shailesh

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Jeffc

I use sky safari in AR mode (augmented reality) where it uses the phone camera to show the physical scene overlayed with the star map.   I just hold the phone where the telescope is setup, and point the camera to area of the sky I’m interested in…

Then I fast-forward the time selector to see when the object is occulted but trees (in my case). 

I never thought I’d have a use for that AR button in SkySafari… but this is it… daytime planning with limited horizons.  

Here’s a pic of a tree blocking Polaris that I used to show the tree trimmers what needed trimming.   The sky chart is dimmed heavily here because I didn’t want to confuse the tree trimmers, but still wanted a reference.  The opacity is adjustable.  

On Jun 1, 2022, at 10:11 AM, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:

Not sure that you understand. Just advance the time of your planetarium program and look at the planetarium map to see when the object is far enough west.

Rolando

Sent: Wed, Jun 1, 2022 12:02 pm

Roland,

Shailesh

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Shailesh Trivedi

I did this and I know from my horizon limits in APCC at the target AZ the Altitude shows 20 degrees but clearly that is incorrect or from another scope. Using your technique Rolando, I used 40 degrees of Altitude and got 12:35am. Will try this.

Thanks,

Shailesh

Shailesh Trivedi

This is great Jeff. I have not used Sky Safari and wonder if it is available on an Android phone.

Shailesh

Karen Christen

Indeed, it is. 😊

Karen

AP

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of Shailesh Trivedi
Sent: Wednesday, June 1, 2022 12:40 PM

This is great Jeff. I have not used Sky Safari and wonder if it is available on an Android phone.

Shailesh

--
Karen Christen
Astro-Physics

Shailesh Trivedi

Karen,

I see many versions. Which one should I buy?

Shailesh

Karen Christen

This one by Simulation Curriculum is what we like.

Karen

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of Shailesh Trivedi <shailesh.trivedi@...>
Sent: Wednesday, June 1, 2022 12:49:31 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>

Karen,

I see many versions. Which one should I buy?

Shailesh

--
Karen Christen
Astro-Physics

Shailesh Trivedi

Thank you Karen

fernandorivera3

I use Sky Safari Pro V6 on my Android Galaxy S20 5G smartphone without any problems. 

Fernando

Hy Murveit

Another approach is to use Stellarium or KStars to make a custom landscape background for the planetarium programs.
Then you just use the planetarium software, adjust the time, go to your object, and see if the object is blocked.
Once you have created and installed your custom landscape/terrain, you don't need to be outside to use it.

For instance, here's a Stellarium how-to video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flwllEQTfVw

On Wed, Jun 1, 2022 at 11:13 AM Shailesh Trivedi <shailesh.trivedi@...> wrote:
Thank you Karen

Marcelo Figueroa

I think you are overthinking it. Here's what I do with SGP (and I'm sure almost any imaging program can do it):

1) Use your favorite planetary program to see what time the target will be at the desired altitude.

2) Connect APCC/Ascom Driver to the mount.

3) Launch SGP and connect everything

4) Find the desired object in Frame & Mosaic Wizard and frame it to your choice.

5) Set as start time the time of point 1 in SGP (and probably end time, like sunrise).

6) Run the sequence in SGP.

SGP will wait until the specified time and start the sequence.

Shailesh Trivedi

Thanks Hy Murveit

Shailesh Trivedi

Reporting back. I used Roland's method to determine when the Squid nebula would rise above the  2nd story of my house (using my planetarium software) and arrived at 12:35am. I am happy to report that this worked using SGP and now I have a method to image it while I sleep. I have captured images which are decidedly Ha and Oiii (not my house).

Thanks to everyone for provided methods which worked for you. 

Shailesh

Roland Christen

Great. Post some when you can.

Rolando

Sent: Thu, Jun 2, 2022 5:08 pm

Reporting back. I used Roland's method to determine when the Squid nebula would rise above the  2nd story of my house (using my planetarium software) and arrived at 12:35am. I am happy to report that this worked using SGP and now I have a method to image it while I sleep. I have captured images which are decidedly Ha and Oiii (not my house).

Thanks to everyone for provided methods which worked for you. 

Shailesh

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Eric Claeys

Edited

There is a super cheap version of Sky Safari, a more expensive one, then the Pro version.  More money gets you more objects plus some other things - see their website.

Eric