APCC : Failed to Create All Virtual Ports #APCC

Erkaslan Aygen

Hi everybody,

I hope you are doing well.

I am in the process of installing my software etc on a brand-new PC.

While trying to install APCC, I was stopped by the following message that I keep getting. Does anybody has an idea ?

In addition, I am getting a warning message once APCC is launch ; error creating visual port 1 control :(

Thank you for your help.

Regards,
Aygen

Erkaslan Aygen

Anyone :) ?

I almost lost a day trying to solve this problem. I dont understand what might be problem.

Everything is working as a breeze except APCC.

As already mentioned, I am unable to create virtual ports. In addition to the picture already posted, I am getting the following juste before APCC initializes :

NOTE: I use the last version, i.e. 1.9.3.3. along with ascom platform 6.6.I

I would appreciate any inputs.

Best,
A.

Danny Flippo

I get the exact same error after installing APCC Pro on a Windows 11 machine.

Erkaslan Aygen

Good to know.

I am getting these message on Windows 10 !

This is very frustrating. I just finished to setup my new computer yesterday. I don't see myself to do a new clean installation.

@ Ray : what could we do ?

Ray Gralak

The problem is with the Eltima component. I've had an active ticket for months, but they have replied that they cannot reproduce the problem. I've asked Eltima multiple times if they would be able to remote into a computer that has the problem, but they ignore the request. In the future, I hope if developers search for feedback on the Eltima ActiveX Serial port component they will see this and choose another product, as Eltima does not provide very good support.

I am investigating alternative solutions, but it may be a while until we can provide a fix.

-Ray

I am getting these message on Windows 10 !

This is very frustrating. I just finished to setup my new computer yesterday. I don't see myself to do a new
clean installation.

@ Ray : what could we do ?

Erkaslan Aygen

Ray,

This is really unfortunate. Two questions :
  1. Silly question, but can I use the AP driver simultaneously with different applications (for example, through my automation session, one instance for PHD2, one instance for connecting the mount) without using the virtual port ?
  2. Would a "clean windows" installation resolve the problem?
Thank you.
A.

Le sam. 29 janv. 2022 à 08:27, Ray Gralak <iogroups@...> a écrit :
The problem is with the Eltima component. I've had an active ticket for months, but they have replied that they cannot reproduce the problem. I've asked Eltima multiple times if they would be able to remote into a computer that has the problem, but they ignore the request. In the future, I hope if developers search for feedback on the Eltima ActiveX Serial port component they will see this and choose another product, as Eltima does not provide very good support.

I am investigating alternative solutions, but it may be a while until we can provide a fix.

-Ray

Ray Gralak

You cannot use APCC without the virtual ports, but you can use the driver without APCC. The driver is a hub, so you won't need two instances of it.

I have no idea if a clean install will fix the problem (it's Eltima's product, so we have no insight into why it is failing on some computers). This started happening within the last 6 months or so, so it's likely something to do with a recent Windows update.

-Ray

This is really unfortunate. Two questions :

1. Silly question, but can I use the AP driver simultaneously with different applications (for example,
through my automation session, one instance for PHD2, one instance for connecting the mount) without using
the virtual port ?
2. Would a "clean windows" installation resolve the problem?

Thank you.
A.

Le sam. 29 janv. 2022 à 08:27, Ray Gralak <iogroups@...> a écrit :

The problem is with the Eltima component. I've had an active ticket for months, but they have replied
that they cannot reproduce the problem. I've asked Eltima multiple times if they would be able to remote into a
computer that has the problem, but they ignore the request. In the future, I hope if developers search for
feedback on the Eltima ActiveX Serial port component they will see this and choose another product, as
Eltima does not provide very good support.

I am investigating alternative solutions, but it may be a while until we can provide a fix.

-Ray

Erkaslan Aygen

I see. Is there anything particular that I need to do in the driver settings to use it as a HUB ?

Just asking since I am not able (through my automation software) to simultaneously connect it to the mount and to the guiding software, for example.

This is so frustrating to encounter such issues.

Le sam. 29 janv. 2022 à 08:40, Ray Gralak <iogroups@...> a écrit :
You cannot use APCC without the virtual ports, but you can use the driver without APCC. The driver is a hub, so you won't need two instances of it.

I have no idea if a clean install will fix the problem (it's Eltima's product, so we have no insight into why it is failing on some computers). This started happening within the last 6 months or so, so it's likely something to do with a recent Windows update.

-Ray

Erkaslan Aygen

Never mind, found the solution. Again, stupid W10 firewall.

Anyway, I would warmly welcome any fixe in a near future pertaining to this "Eltima component". For the time being, I won't use anymore APCC. See if I can generate a star model, though.

ap@CaptivePhotons.com

On Sat, Jan 29, 2022 at 02:40 AM, Ray Gralak wrote:
You cannot use APCC without the virtual ports, but you can use the driver without APCC.
Have you considered allowing your ASCOM driver to communicate over IP with APCC?  For many of us that would completely get rid of the Eltima's need, I think, as well as the last mount related COM port.  I realize you can't get rid of COM ports for everyone, but that might take a huge swath of people who would no longer care if Eltima worked or not.

Linwood

Dave Payne

Hi Ray.   Actually I didn't choose Eltima.   Are you sure you didn't choose it?   THis is very frustrating.   How do I get APCC to use a different product?

Dave Payne

This is happening to me now.   I also occasionally get a request to "register" with this "Eltima" company (sounds pretty fly-by-night to me).   At any rate, is my expensive A-P mount's operation dependent on supplier that won't even answer calls?
Disappointed that I upgraded all my A-P software, even PAID to have an updated version of APCC pro, only to find out that one the "features" I paid for is that it doesn't work.   I notice that the initial post here is a week old.  How many weeks until resolution?

Thanks,
Dave

Dave Payne

Hi Erkaslan,

What was your solution?

Thanks,
Dave

Ray Gralak

Hi Dave,

APCC has been using the Eltima Virtual ports product since its first beta 10 years ago. Only recently have issues with their virtual port product started, and they are still looking into the cause because they cannot reproduce the issue.

That said, APCC uses an OEM version of Eltima that does NOT require you to register it. If you are getting a registration message then there may be another Eltima product installed that requires registration. If you downloaded/installed any Eltima products you should uninstall them. You should also go into Control Panel and remove APCC to make sure any Eltima drivers are removed, then reinstall APCC again.

There is a solution coming that I have been testing, but I don't have all of the configuration controls in the user interface set up. I'll try to make a beta available within a few days.

-Ray