APCC / APPM Frustration


mjb87@...
 
Edited

I am trying to get APPM to work with my 1100 mount. For reference, I have had success it getting it to work (different software installation, different computer) with my Mach2 mount. There must be something wrong with my sequence and setup.

First, I start APCC and connect successfully (via IP) to the mount. Note that I have the "create virtual ports first" box checked and two ports get created.
Second, I start APPM and try to connect to the mount. I get an error message telling me to start APCC (it WAS started) and connect the driver through APCC. Fine.




When I go back to APCC and try to connect to the AP V2 driver, I get this error telling me to create the virtual ports first.



But the virtual ports ARE created. In any case, I tried about 20 times to delete the virtual ports and then recreate them -- all without success in starting APPM. I restarted the computer several times as well. No success.

What am I doing wrong? The sky was perfect for running APPM and now I have rain in the forecast.

Marty


Ray Gralak
 

Hi Marty,

 

You are probably overcomplicating things. There is an option to auto-configure the driver in APCC. There is also a button in APCC to do a one-time configuration of the ASCOM driver.

 

To simplify things, always start APCC first and connect to the mount, then connect your other applications.

 

Now, to fix your problem:

 

1. With just APCC connected to the mount (no AP V2 ASCOM driver), define Virtual ports 1 and 2 and connect to them on the Virtual Ports tab.

2. Click the tiny "Now" button in APCC's "AP V2 Driver" Group box. This will configure the AP V2 ASCOM driver. There will be several pop-up windows to which you will need to click "OK". Afterwards the AP V2 driver will be configured correctly.

3. For future sessions enable the three checkboxes in this screen shot:

 

 

After doing this the driver and APCC will be configured correctly for use with APPM.

 

-Ray

 

> -----Original Message-----

> From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of mjb87 via groups.io

> Sent: Wednesday, April 7, 2021 5:54 PM

> To: main@ap-gto.groups.io

> Subject: [ap-gto] APCC / APPM Frustration

>

> [Edited Message Follows]

>

> I am trying to get APPM to work with my 1100 mount. For reference, I have had success it getting it to work (different

> software installation, different computer) with my Mach2 mount. There must be something wrong with my sequence

> and setup.

>

> First, I start APCC and connect successfully (via IP) to the mount. Note that I have the "create virtual ports first" box

> checked and two ports get created.

> Second, I start APPM and try to connect to the mount. I get an error message telling me to start APCC (it WAS

> started) and connect the driver through APCC. Fine.

>

>

>

>

> When I go back to APCC and try to connect to the AP V2 driver, I get this error telling me to create the virtual ports

> first.

>

>

>

> But the virtual ports ARE created. In any case, I tried about 20 times to delete the virtual ports and then recreate

> them -- all without success in starting APPM. I restarted the computer several times as well. No success.

>

> What am I doing wrong? The sky was perfect for running APPM and now I have rain in the forecast.

>

> Marty


mjb87@...
 

Thanks, Ray.  Some follow-up questions

1. You say define and create the virtual ports.  I have the "create virtual ports first" box checked and the ports are there so I don't know what else needs to be done.  And are the define and create two separate steps?  I only see a "create" choice on the virtual ports tab. I have always checked the "Create virtual ports first" box.

2. I did try clicking the define "now" button, several times. It just reported that the driver was defined -- there were no windows to approve. And I still got the same error starting APPM.

3. The three boxes you say should be checked are exactly the ones that were checked when I started.

What I don't understand is why the system says I need to create the virtual ports when they HAVE been created. I repeatedly restarted the computer and ONLY started up APCC -- no other applications -- and I still had the challenge.

Marty


Bill Long
 

If the create button is there, click it. It should create a virtual port. Then use the APCC button to configure the V2 driver, then connect it. Does it work now?



From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of mjb87 via groups.io <mjb87@...>
Sent: Wednesday, April 7, 2021 7:46 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] APCC / APPM Frustration
 
Thanks, Ray.  Some follow-up questions

1. You say define and create the virtual ports.  I have the "create virtual ports first" box checked and the ports are there so I don't know what else needs to be done.  And are the define and create two separate steps?  I only see a "create" choice on the virtual ports tab. I have always checked the "Create virtual ports first" box.

2. I did try clicking the define "now" button, several times. It just reported that the driver was defined -- there were no windows to approve. And I still got the same error starting APPM.

3. The three boxes you say should be checked are exactly the ones that were checked when I started.

What I don't understand is why the system says I need to create the virtual ports when they HAVE been created. I repeatedly restarted the computer and ONLY started up APCC -- no other applications -- and I still had the challenge.

Marty


Ray Gralak
 

If you already have virtual ports defined, then you don't need to do that step.

After clicking the "Now" button you will see three popups in a row. Unchecking the "Keep on top" checkbox in APCC will prevent those popups from being hidden behind APCC.

-Ray

-----Original Message-----
From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of mjb87 via groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, April 7, 2021 7:46 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] APCC / APPM Frustration

Thanks, Ray. Some follow-up questions

1. You say define and create the virtual ports. I have the "create virtual ports first" box checked and the ports are
there so I don't know what else needs to be done. And are the define and create two separate steps? I only see a
"create" choice on the virtual ports tab. I have always checked the "Create virtual ports first" box.

2. I did try clicking the define "now" button, several times. It just reported that the driver was defined -- there were no
windows to approve. And I still got the same error starting APPM.

3. The three boxes you say should be checked are exactly the ones that were checked when I started.

What I don't understand is why the system says I need to create the virtual ports when they HAVE been created. I
repeatedly restarted the computer and ONLY started up APCC -- no other applications -- and I still had the
challenge.

Marty


mjb87@...
 

Thanks. I'll try again in the daytime today just to see if I can get the connections to work.


mjb87@...
 

OK. I am sitting in the observatory trying to get it to work. I am encountering the same problem. Here is exactly what I have done

1. I restarted the computer, just in case. No other applications are running.

2. I started APCC. The boxes checked are the three you recommended: Auto-Connect and Create Virtual Ports First (in Mount) and Auto-Config (in AP V2 Driver). I have unchecked the "keep APCC on top" box for APCC.

3. APCC connected to the mount via TCP LAN. It reported that it was creating virtual ports. This took about 6 seconds. I initialized the mount. It starts tracking.



4. The Virtual Ports tab shows two virtual ports connected.


4. I start APPM

5. I click on Connect for the Scope. The driver window opens and then I get the same error message all along:


.
6. I go back to APCC Setup window and click Now on the auto-config for the driver. A window emerges asking if I'm sure. I click OK. I get a yellow window saying I should restart driver. Before i can respond I get a green window saying driver has been successfully updated.

7. I try APPM again and try to connect to Scope. I get this error:



8. If I then click on driver settings in APPM I get this. Not that If I check port on COM4 and COM6 (the two virtual ports) I get a "Mount Not Found" error.



9. I'm not a systems guy by any means, but it seems that APPM needs to connect only via a virtual port set up by APCC and somehow these virtual ports are not being set up. If I manually create another virtual port (e.g., COM32) and then tell the driver setup to use that I get the same "Mount Not Found" message.

10.  Only after all of this I started up SGP and TSX one at a time. Neither would connect to the mount via a virtual APCC port but I could connect if I reset the driver connection to the IP address.

Any suggestions from here?


Kenneth Tan
 

Just a thought.... are the drivers and apcc the latest versions? 

On Fri, 9 Apr 2021 at 01:34, mjb87 via groups.io <mjb87=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:
OK. I am sitting in the observatory trying to get it to work. I am encountering the same problem. Here is exactly what I have done

1. I restarted the computer, just in case. No other applications are running.

2. I started APCC. The boxes checked are the three you recommended: Auto-Connect and Create Virtual Ports First (in Mount) and Auto-Config (in AP V2 Driver). I have unchecked the "keep APCC on top" box for APCC.

3. APCC connected to the mount via TCP LAN. It reported that it was creating virtual ports. This took about 6 seconds. I initialized the mount. It starts tracking.



4. The Virtual Ports tab shows two virtual ports connected.


4. I start APPM

5. I click on Connect for the Scope. The driver window opens and then I get the same error message all along:


.
6. I go back to APCC Setup window and click Now on the auto-config for the driver. A window emerges asking if I'm sure. I click OK. I get a yellow window saying I should restart driver. Before i can respond I get a green window saying driver has been successfully updated.

7. I try APPM again and try to connect to Scope. I get this error:



8. If I then click on driver settings in APPM I get this. Not that If I check port on COM4 and COM6 (the two virtual ports) I get a "Mount Not Found" error.



9. I'm not a systems guy by any means, but it seems that APPM needs to connect only via a virtual port set up by APCC and somehow these virtual ports are not being set up. If I manually create another virtual port (e.g., COM32) and then tell the driver setup to use that I get the same "Mount Not Found" message.

10.  Only after all of this I started up SGP and TSX one at a time. Neither would connect to the mount via a virtual APCC port but I could connect if I reset the driver connection to the IP address.

Any suggestions from here?


Luca Marinelli
 

You are using COM 4 and 6 for virtual ports. Have you tried using much higher numbers (like 20 and 21) to ensure that there are no conflicts with other devices?

Luca

On Apr 8, 2021, at 1:39 PM, Kenneth Tan via groups.io <ktanhs@...> wrote:


Just a thought.... are the drivers and apcc the latest versions? 

On Fri, 9 Apr 2021 at 01:34, mjb87 via groups.io <mjb87=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:
OK. I am sitting in the observatory trying to get it to work. I am encountering the same problem. Here is exactly what I have done

1. I restarted the computer, just in case. No other applications are running.

2. I started APCC. The boxes checked are the three you recommended: Auto-Connect and Create Virtual Ports First (in Mount) and Auto-Config (in AP V2 Driver). I have unchecked the "keep APCC on top" box for APCC.

3. APCC connected to the mount via TCP LAN. It reported that it was creating virtual ports. This took about 6 seconds. I initialized the mount. It starts tracking.

<dummyfile.0.part>


4. The Virtual Ports tab shows two virtual ports connected.
<dummyfile.1.part>


4. I start APPM

5. I click on Connect for the Scope. The driver window opens and then I get the same error message all along:

<dummyfile.2.part>

.
6. I go back to APCC Setup window and click Now on the auto-config for the driver. A window emerges asking if I'm sure. I click OK. I get a yellow window saying I should restart driver. Before i can respond I get a green window saying driver has been successfully updated.

7. I try APPM again and try to connect to Scope. I get this error:

<dummyfile.3.part>


8. If I then click on driver settings in APPM I get this. Not that If I check port on COM4 and COM6 (the two virtual ports) I get a "Mount Not Found" error.

<dummyfile.4.part>


9. I'm not a systems guy by any means, but it seems that APPM needs to connect only via a virtual port set up by APCC and somehow these virtual ports are not being set up. If I manually create another virtual port (e.g., COM32) and then tell the driver setup to use that I get the same "Mount Not Found" message.

10.  Only after all of this I started up SGP and TSX one at a time. Neither would connect to the mount via a virtual APCC port but I could connect if I reset the driver connection to the IP address.

Any suggestions from here?


Tyrel Smith
 

I was about to suggest the same. I use 24 and 25, but just something high that won’t conflict with other gear that may need the lower ports.



Ty Smith

On Apr 8, 2021, at 14:12, Luca Marinelli <photo@...> wrote:


You are using COM 4 and 6 for virtual ports. Have you tried using much higher numbers (like 20 and 21) to ensure that there are no conflicts with other devices?

Luca

On Apr 8, 2021, at 1:39 PM, Kenneth Tan via groups.io <ktanhs@...> wrote:


Just a thought.... are the drivers and apcc the latest versions? 

On Fri, 9 Apr 2021 at 01:34, mjb87 via groups.io <mjb87=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:
OK. I am sitting in the observatory trying to get it to work. I am encountering the same problem. Here is exactly what I have done

1. I restarted the computer, just in case. No other applications are running.

2. I started APCC. The boxes checked are the three you recommended: Auto-Connect and Create Virtual Ports First (in Mount) and Auto-Config (in AP V2 Driver). I have unchecked the "keep APCC on top" box for APCC.

3. APCC connected to the mount via TCP LAN. It reported that it was creating virtual ports. This took about 6 seconds. I initialized the mount. It starts tracking.

<dummyfile.0.part>


4. The Virtual Ports tab shows two virtual ports connected.
<dummyfile.1.part>


4. I start APPM

5. I click on Connect for the Scope. The driver window opens and then I get the same error message all along:

<dummyfile.2.part>

.
6. I go back to APCC Setup window and click Now on the auto-config for the driver. A window emerges asking if I'm sure. I click OK. I get a yellow window saying I should restart driver. Before i can respond I get a green window saying driver has been successfully updated.

7. I try APPM again and try to connect to Scope. I get this error:

<dummyfile.3.part>


8. If I then click on driver settings in APPM I get this. Not that If I check port on COM4 and COM6 (the two virtual ports) I get a "Mount Not Found" error.

<dummyfile.4.part>


9. I'm not a systems guy by any means, but it seems that APPM needs to connect only via a virtual port set up by APCC and somehow these virtual ports are not being set up. If I manually create another virtual port (e.g., COM32) and then tell the driver setup to use that I get the same "Mount Not Found" message.

10.  Only after all of this I started up SGP and TSX one at a time. Neither would connect to the mount via a virtual APCC port but I could connect if I reset the driver connection to the IP address.

Any suggestions from here?


Mark Knogge
 

I rarely reply to these posts because I am often wrong. However, never in doubt.

Anyway, the virtual ports are low and could be messing with other system ports. I set my virtual ports at 21 and 22.

Maybe worth trying.

Cheers,
Mark


mjb87@...
 
Edited

Many thanks. Yes, I thought of that.  I tried ports up to 32 (which appears the max in APCC) and had the exact same result. The virtual port gets created (according to APCC) but when I try to use it I get Mount Not Found errors. However, I didn't try that by itself -- APCC was still trying to use 4 and 6. I'll delete all ports and then try a higher port to see if that works.

I also checked all port assignments, including hidden devices, and 4 and 6 are not used by anything else.


Tyrel Smith
 

Catching up a bit, but did you try with usb instead of LAN? Not that it should matter.

Ty Smith

On Apr 8, 2021, at 14:22, mjb87 via groups.io <mjb87@...> wrote:



[Edited Message Follows]

Many thanks. Yes, I thought of that.  I tried ports up to 32 (which appears the max in APCC) and had the exact same result. The virtual port gets created (according to APCC) but when I try to use it I get Mount Not Found errors. However, I didn't try that by itself -- APCC was still trying to use 4 and 6. I'll delete all ports and then try a higher port to see if that works.

I also checked all port assignments, including hidden devices, and 4 and 6 are not used by anything else.


 

I know this post is a few back, but when I start APCC i auto start the ASCOM driver at the same time

I usually run into problems if I try to start the ASCOM driver separately

i use APPM with APCC all the time and it works great for me using the above



On Thu, Apr 8, 2021 at 10:34 AM mjb87 via groups.io <mjb87=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:
OK. I am sitting in the observatory trying to get it to work. I am encountering the same problem. Here is exactly what I have done

1. I restarted the computer, just in case. No other applications are running.

2. I started APCC. The boxes checked are the three you recommended: Auto-Connect and Create Virtual Ports First (in Mount) and Auto-Config (in AP V2 Driver). I have unchecked the "keep APCC on top" box for APCC.

3. APCC connected to the mount via TCP LAN. It reported that it was creating virtual ports. This took about 6 seconds. I initialized the mount. It starts tracking.



4. The Virtual Ports tab shows two virtual ports connected.


4. I start APPM

5. I click on Connect for the Scope. The driver window opens and then I get the same error message all along:


.
6. I go back to APCC Setup window and click Now on the auto-config for the driver. A window emerges asking if I'm sure. I click OK. I get a yellow window saying I should restart driver. Before i can respond I get a green window saying driver has been successfully updated.

7. I try APPM again and try to connect to Scope. I get this error:



8. If I then click on driver settings in APPM I get this. Not that If I check port on COM4 and COM6 (the two virtual ports) I get a "Mount Not Found" error.



9. I'm not a systems guy by any means, but it seems that APPM needs to connect only via a virtual port set up by APCC and somehow these virtual ports are not being set up. If I manually create another virtual port (e.g., COM32) and then tell the driver setup to use that I get the same "Mount Not Found" message.

10.  Only after all of this I started up SGP and TSX one at a time. Neither would connect to the mount via a virtual APCC port but I could connect if I reset the driver connection to the IP address.

Any suggestions from here?



--
Brian 



Brian Valente


mjb87@...
 

Thanks. I will try USB next.

Right now I assigned virtual ports 25 and 26 and then restarted APCC. It gave me an error message saying it could not create the virtual ports. So then I tried to create them within APCC and I I got this error message:



And when I tried to create port 26 I got this:


Stacey Mills
 

APCC is not connecting to the virtual ports.  Have you been exiting APCC normally?  When APCC exits it deletes (deactivates) the virtual ports.  If the program is forced closed or shutdown abnormally, the virtual ports will remain active and cause a problem.  Go to "Device Manager" on your PC and check the serial ports to see, with APCC shut down, if the virtual ports are still there.  If you change the "View" in Device Manager to "Show hidden devices" you should see the Eltima Virtual Serial Ports grayed out (inactive).  If they are visible normally and not grayed out in the "hidden" view then they are still active, you need to delete them using Device Manager, reboot your PC and start over.  


Bill Long
 

Maybe try uninstall and reinstall of APCC. 


From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of mjb87 via groups.io <mjb87@...>
Sent: Thursday, April 8, 2021 11:35 AM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] APCC / APPM Frustration
 
Thanks. I will try USB next.

Right now I assigned virtual ports 25 and 26 and then restarted APCC. It gave me an error message saying it could not create the virtual ports. So then I tried to create them within APCC and I I got this error message:



And when I tried to create port 26 I got this:


mjb87@...
 

Tried unplugging Ethernet and using USB. Exact same as before -- able to connect to mount but not via virtual ports.
Also, on my Mach2, when the virtual ports are created I can "see" then in device manager. I do not see them in this case.

So it seems the issue is that the virtual ports are not being created. At this stage I've tried everything I know.


Tyrel Smith
 

Are you running APCC in admin mode?

Ty Smith

On Apr 8, 2021, at 14:59, mjb87 via groups.io <mjb87@...> wrote:

Tried unplugging Ethernet and using USB. Exact same as before -- able to connect to mount but not via virtual ports.
Also, on my Mach2, when the virtual ports are created I can "see" then in device manager. I do not see them in this case.

So it seems the issue is that the virtual ports are not being created. At this stage I've tried everything I know.


Bill Long
 

Uninstall and reinstall APCC?


From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of mjb87 via groups.io <mjb87@...>
Sent: Thursday, April 8, 2021 11:58 AM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] APCC / APPM Frustration
 
Tried unplugging Ethernet and using USB. Exact same as before -- able to connect to mount but not via virtual ports.
Also, on my Mach2, when the virtual ports are created I can "see" then in device manager. I do not see them in this case.

So it seems the issue is that the virtual ports are not being created. At this stage I've tried everything I know.