APCC - APPM and NINA

Jack Huerkamp

I found a YouTube video on using NINA with APPM.  The video is relatively old and talks about the use of “NINA 1.11”, the “Utilities for Astro-Physics Mounts” and “Create APPM Model”.

I am running NINA 2.0 RC001 and I have APPC PRO 1.9.4.3 installed, along with the latest version of ASTAP.

When I go to Plugins in NINA, the only one I see for the Astro-Physics Mount is “Astro-Physics Tool”.

When I click on the “Advanced Sequencer”, the options are:

  1. Create All Sky Model
  2. Create Dec Arc Model
  3. Start PACC

There is no “Create APPM Model” option.

I really need to make a model, as although my AP1600 is well polar aligned according to my PoleMaster, when I do a meridian flip, the first target is off.  Once I center on it and sync the mount everything is okay.

With all this said, which options should I place in the Advanced Sequencer?

NOTE:  I am a NINA novice and, although many of my customers are using and loving NINA, this will be my first time doing so.

Yours truly,

Jack

Jack Huerkamp

Jack's Astro Accessories, LLC

38388 Pine Street

Pearl River, LA 70452-5192

985-445-5063

mallincamusa@...

www.mallincamusa.com

30.37N  89.76W

All of us get lost in the darkness.
Dreamers learn to steer by the stars.

………………………………….Neil Peart

ap@CaptivePhotons.com

On Fri, Apr 22, 2022 at 04:46 PM, Jack Huerkamp wrote:
I found a YouTube video on using NINA with APPM.  The video is relatively old and talks about the use of “NINA 1.11”, the “Utilities for Astro-Physics Mounts” and “Create APPM Model”.
I haven't watched the video but it's not as old as it seems, things have just changed rapidly.  1.11 was the "nightly" versions that predated the 2.0 release candidate now current, but it was fairly similar internally.  The AP Tools name changed, but provided similar routines.

The "Create APPM Model" became "Create All Sky Model" to clearly distinguish an all-sky from dec-arc.   It now does both, but it's the same idea (i.e. there are not two plugins, just that one).

While the tool can do an all-sky model, it is not a huge benefit to do through NINA.  Where NINA shines is that the Dec-Arc model (which is target specific) can be added to sequences, so you can do a new dec-arc model just before doing a new target, all automated.  Especially in observatories most people do not do all-sky models all that often.

My personal suggestion is first do a model and make sure it all works in APPM without NINA.  That makes sure that plate solving, etc. is all functioning properly and takes one variable out of the equation.  Once that works, it should be fairly easy to do either model automated.

A lot more info can be found on Dale's web site: https://daleghent.com/astro-physics-tools

Linwood

Greg Salyer

I’ve been using NINA for a few months now. I also use APCC and APPM although I don’t use NINA to build my model. I start APCC before NINA and haven’t used any of the NINA add-ons to couple NINA and APCC together. Everything seems to work just fine and I see no reason to reference APCC in the advanced sequencer. Am I missing something?

Andy Ermolli

The NINA plugin is meant to simplify setting the parameters to build an APPM model. It is really handy for building an Arc Dec model based on the target programmed in the sequence. The Arc Dec model will only take points along the declination arc of the selected object and it is meant to speed up model building for mobile imagers. If one has a permanent observatory I see no reason to use Arc Dec.

Michael 'Mikey' Mangieri

For those of us who do not have a permanent observatory (or in my case a semipermanent) the ability to have NINA automate the Dec arc model is fabulous.

On Apr 22, 2022, at 7:36 PM, Andy Ermolli <andyc67@...> wrote:

The NINA plugin is meant to simplify setting the parameters to build an APPM model. It is really handy for building an Arc Dec model based on the target programmed in the sequence. The Arc Dec model will only take points along the declination arc of the selected object and it is meant to speed up model building for mobile imagers. If one has a permanent observatory I see no reason to use Arc Dec.

Jack Huerkamp

Linwood,

Thanks.  The video I found was made by Dale Ghent.  That is why I was interested in using NINA to do the APPM .

[...]

Andy,

Thanks.  I have a permanent setup, so I will go right to APPM to build the model