From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of Tom Blahovici
Sent: Thursday, September 23, 2021 1:11 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: [ap-gto] AP Version 2 error: Run-time error 91

Hi
I have run into this three times lately. The AP driver is set to connect automatically as is the mount in APCC.
However, the mount has not yet initialized. Seems to maybe stop if I automatically set the mount to initialize
but I am not sure.

The error is Run-time error 91. Object variable or With block variable not set.

And then about 20 seconds later, APCC cannot create active-x object.

Is this due to the mount not automatically initializing?
All the latest software including APPM.
Thanks, Tom

George LaBelle

I saw the same thing a couple of times.

Connecting manually to the V2 driver seems to have fixed this.

Since I'm running my observatory remotely, these numerous and frequent software updates, with new issues, are concerning. I think more testing needs to be done before general release.
--
George
Prineville, Oregon

Tom Blahovici

Hi
The question is does one need to connect to the AP driver in APCC?  I have seen comments that it does if you want to use your model. So. So do you Ray?

I have 4 virtual ports that appear and a my software connects up fine there. What does using an additional one in apccs section for the Ap driver do?

As to releases not tested enough, one can only test so much and then you adjust going forward. I am a software developer myself and until there are enough people using something, you never know for sure. Beta testers are completely unreliable in general with 90% not doing anything. That's my experience.
So when a bug shows up, being responsive and agile is more important. That's exactly what happens with AP products. Not to mention that astronomy products are dependent on weather. Having to wait until all the testers have clear sky's might make the product cycle way too long ..
Kelp up the great work Ray!

Ray Gralak

The question is does one need to connect to the AP driver in APCC? I have seen comments that it does if
you want to use your model. So. So do you Ray?
You do NOT need to connect APCC to the driver. Ever. Its only purpose is to keep the ASCOM driver running even when all ASCOM client applications disconnect.

And just to be clear, this "error 91" issue is not an APCC issue. The problem is that the driver could not allocate a resource. This might be caused by a windows update, installation of some other software, anti-virus software blocking something, a problem with the computer (e.g., a hard-disk or memory error), etc.

And BTW, the latest driver hasn't changed for many months.

-Ray

[...]

Karen Christen

Hello George,

As Tom mentioned, we do extensive testing but cannot catch every user’s configuration or situation.  In your case, if you find yourself running into problems with newly-released software, you may consider delaying downloading new version for a week or three.  By then our “early adopters” have often put the version through its paces and found any glitches.

Thanks to Tom and all of you who are giving us feedback on our products!

Karen

AP